Moving Of A Shop - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Moving Of A Shop

Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 1,316
Arrow

Moving Of A Shop

Ok... first things first... My current location, is smack dab in the middle of EVERYTHING, including my clientell. From a business perspective, you can not get a better location than mine... Plus the shop... a 2200sq ft comercial building, zoned residential... with all the major goodies to do any kind of work you could ever want.

Problem: The house I am living in, I have lived in for 31 years (my whole life). Which is located on the same parcel as the shop... the ultimate, small construction business shop.. Moving on... The House, needs a new roof, a major investment... The shop, needs a new roof... another major investment.. (2200sq ft shop - flat roof) The house needs a new boiler, insulation, windows... The house roof, is cedar shake, with 3layers of ashphalt, on a balloon construction frame with 24"oc... ya, ugly..

To bring my current location, upto 'spec' to the point of being, some what maint free outside of major repairs, is upwards of $50,000.

So far it has been a major money pit.. My saving grace is 2 fold.

I am zone residential, yet am surrounded by commercial. Most notably, a 6 story building is being put up 500ft from my house... When thats finished, I will lose ALL privacy in my back yard.

I then find out, the lot next to me, as in 50ft away.. theyre putting up a 3 story medical building within 100 ft of my shop, further eroding my privacy in my yard, but also causing me problems, as I have a bit of 'junk' mainly in over growth, and scrap.. (cant be seen unless your looking 'down' at the property) its not an eye sore, but plop a 3story building next door, and all of a sudden the town will want thousands of dollars in extra work done on my property, so that the 'patients' of the medical building will have a nice veiw... (they are pulling the SAME crap with a neighbor of mine)

I have also discovered the complete lack of home owner representation by the town board. The politics in this town outright suck donkey tail...

Now add to the fact that getting in and out of my driveway can be downright effing annoying... this area was awesome 20years ago, but to live here, well, this past summer I was informed that 'fires in the back yard are illegal'.. ugh! wait til they find out I sandblast outside...

So, I am looking to sell my home, my shop, that my dad built, the ultimate shop... to a developer... on the comercial market. Commercially, I am looking at 300K... since going comercial, is super easy.. since I am surrounded by it, litarally.. ever see that movie, 'batteries not included' and at the end you have that little building amongs skyscrapers.. thats ME

I am currently looking at a piece of property located 22 miles away, in the middle of no where... the house needs a bit of work... is 1100 sq ft compared to my current 1400sq ft... but it has 30 acres of land.. 1/2 wooded, 1/2 brush... figured id put up a 60x80ft pole barn, (hence my last thread)

I figure, from selling my home, to purchasing, and moving into the new place. at a bare min take 3 months... since I need a place to store 2200sq ft worth of equipment, and it cant go out side, so I would need the new pole barn built.. technicalities and stuff...

any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

Re: Moving Of A Shop

You could always keep your place, put a new roof on it with a nice shingle mural giving them the finger!

Moving sucks for sure. Without knowing anything about what's in your shop or how you use it:

A few shipping containers. You'd have to shizpack your stuff in there unless you've got a lot of open space in your shop. That's the easiest way, not sure if it'd be cost effective to get them there, or what you'd do with them after you're done with them.

A few temporary storage buildings - For a "foundation", throw 12 cap blocks on the ground in a grid - three rows of four. 4x4's on top of them, and shim them level - joists on top of that. 24" OC sheathed in OSB. Don't bother roofing or siding, caulk seams, blue tarp roof. Don't bother siding or roofing it, when the barn is built just tear them down. Strap hinges and hinge one section of OSB for a door with a hasp on the other side.

When your barn is done, tear them down and build covered lumber racks, shelves inside the shop, workbenches, etc.

I think I could build 2 12x12 units like that in a day by myself for around $650 in material each - my lumber costs around here anyway.

The absolute cheapest way if you know you're only going to be 3 months before you're in the barn, is to rent some storage space. I can get a 10x30 for under 150 / month here. The bigger ones like that are a little harder to find available here, and there's no power or working out of them, it's storage only which in your case would probably make it unworkable.

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Ink Slinger

Trade: Retired Builder. Now graphics vendor to the trades
Rewards Points: 150

You're current property will be sold to a commercial developer - rent it back for six months while you build your shop. Unless they'll give you a year
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timo For This Useful Post:
smalpierre (11-25-2012), TimelessQuality (11-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
You're current property will be sold to a commercial developer - rent it back for six months while you build your shop. Unless they'll give you a year
That would be the easy way
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,426

CarrPainting:

I'd love to see pictures of "a little bit of junk". I've got a feeling you and the countryside are just right for each other.

Joe
Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 1,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
CarrPainting:

I'd love to see pictures of "a little bit of junk". I've got a feeling you and the countryside are just right for each other.

the sides are kind of loaded... Mainly the north side between the building and the fence, about 10ft wide.. covered in overgrowth... its probably, somewhere in the ball park of 10,000lbs of steel. plate, pipe, I and H beams, ect... dad was a bit of a horder... I am though in the process of cleaning it out. I did the south side yard, took 2 years... 70long x 20 wide... Made over $6,000 in scrap alone.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 530

take the scrap money and put it into the house. Then concentrate on the shop. Screw the neighbours. You where there first. Grandfathering the business as it sits now should not be a problem. How can they make a company that has been there for 30 or more years shut down or move? Unless your are going to make enough to cover the moving and building you need.

In Ontario if you have a business in place for example. My Grandfather had a Autobody shop and he named it Carl Smith and Son's Autobody. That way he could hand it down to his boys and no one could say anything over the generations.

They had legal right to run the shop down the line and paint cars in the garage. No one could say crap about it. As long as he had decent filters on the exhaust fan he could do what he wanted.

It was a grandfathered shop he had all right to use it until it was shut down by his youngest son. After that all bets are off.

Advertisement

Last edited by Greg from K/W; 12-02-2012 at 01:53 PM.