Morals Issue - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Morals Issue

Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Finishing Carpenter

Trade: finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 720

Morals Issue

workin on a huge 22,000 sq foot house doing the trim work - I'm the "new guy" anyway the forman is a good guy, likes to talk about this (uuuggglllyyy!!!) house... so he's bragging how when the final inspection is done, they are gonna remove some sheetrock, and open up the third floor- which is not allowed because it will be over the ?? square footage allowed by the city.
would you report this to the city inspectors? I'm of two minds, firstly- its not my business, just do my job as best I can and but out.
or else, call the inspector and make lot of trouble for the home owner..
hmmmm
I don't really want to cause these people trouble, they've done nothing bad to me, and what comes around goes around, don't want to be causing bad karma.
but then, he's cheating big time.... do I have a moral responsibility to say something to the inspectors?

Mac.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Re: Morals Issue

Even if you told, I'm not sure it would make any difference. Inspectors know that after final, things get changed, oftentimes in violation of code or ordinance. It's their job to insure compliance at the time of inspection.

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Why in the world would you bite the hand that's feeding you? If you had a hand in pulling permits having to do with zoning, then you've got a concern. If not, I'd stay out of it.

Last edited by bill r; 04-10-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Thats a hard one to answer, you may get fired over it with out a doubt, but on the other hand your holding the trump card in the event you dont get paid for some reason , but if that were to happen and you did tell the inspector he may say you should had said something in the first place.
Do you pull permits for any other reasons other jobs ? If so and they find out they'll make it hard on you if you dont tell them.Sounds like either way it'll back fire on you and the sad part the honest person like yourself always gets nailed,tell the formen that you know its not permitted by code and document that you told him this to cover your butt and leave it at that.Go with your heart, But always put you're family first !!!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom Closets and Shower Doors

i wouldnt say anything
Old 04-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: mason contractor

If it was a structural issue, I'd worry about it, other than that, if it's not effecting you , mind your business, do your work & get paid.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
bragging how when the final inspection is done, they are gonna remove some sheetrock, and open up the third floor-
He's only the forman, could be all talk, Ho's might be out of money for the next 30 years. Just pay attention to your trim work.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: builder of stuff, real nice stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2eoj View Post
Just pay attention to your trim work.
Bingo, After final HO can do what ever they want to the house. Mind your bis you will be fine
Old 04-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

I'd stay out of something you don't have to worry about. I don't think you'll get anything out of it.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #10

Actually as a homeowner you can't do whatever you want, at least according to the law. I'm suppose to get permits anymore for almost anything that I do in my home although few people do. Of course it could also cause problems with the insurance company later if something were to happen or when you sell because you are suppose to say if any work that was done if it was done by some a licensed contractor and if it was done with a permit.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC HVAC/R Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmac204 View Post
call the inspector and make lot of trouble for the home owner..they've done nothing bad to me, don't want bad karma. but then, he's cheating big time.... do I say something to the inspectors?
Don't be a snitch.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #12

How old are you?
I mean I just cant see anyone that's been in this business for any amount of time, come up with a post like this.
Your moral responsibility is to the HO, If you see a structural problem or safety issue or something like that.
And if you say something to the Forman (are you talking the GC?)You can pretty much be guaranteed you wont get any more work from him.
That maybe fine with you?
100% of my work comes "WORD OF MOUTH"
I do my job and I do it right, If I see something that's a danger (or will be a danger down the road) I'll tell everyone and their mother.But what your talking about is nuts.
Whatever you do,Good Luck to ya.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

nobody likes a tattletail, or hires one for that matter..... do a good job, keep your nose clean & get paid
Old 04-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
Finishing Carpenter

Trade: finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 720

interesting replies! thanks

I'm gonna leave it alone. Occupancy won't be for about 12 months, and I prob. won't be there. I figure why cause trouble. If he gets caught, well then its his bag- not mine.

I am not responsible for pulling the permits- the GC did all that.

Mac.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #15

Every one out here is on a basement. they finish the top and thats it. Intill the next year. then its balls out down below saves on your taxes its the way its been for years dont worry you cant save the world one job at a time. I agree do your job have some fun and call it good
Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #16

Just put in your trim. Your not being paid enough to worry about inspections.

Trust me...
Old 04-11-2007, 06:28 AM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,250

Unless they have used your credentials to pull a permit or something. Mind your own buisness.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I would just let it slide... Now if they wanted you to come in and do work to open up that section I would refuse. I wont do something to violate code. But the homeowner or another "contractor" ( I dont even think you can call them contractors because real contractors follow the law) can.

As far as the city zoning not allowing a house that size is stupid. They needed to come up with a more creative way to word things to get them past zoning.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry
Rewards Points: 500

Rules is rules.If you feel the violation warrants attention by all means let it be known.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 75

Our founding fathers were the first disobediant civilians. Morality has to do about what is right, which doesn't always correspond with what is legal. If it's a silly,ridiculous ordinance with no reason, then I say 'fugetaboutit".

Advertisement