Modular Homes - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Modular Homes

Old 10-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Looking for work
Rewards Points: 150

Modular Homes

Would any of you guys out there own modular homes? Also, what is to be said about modular homes and the future? Instead of modular homes more like "factory line houses"

I was watching the science channel and seen "safeway homes" built to withstand 150+ mph winds.

What is everybodys opinion? Opinions on both modular homes and also what it looks like for the future of housing.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Project Manager/Licensed Remodeler
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Modular Homes

I've been through tours of a few modular home factories and I would have zero objections to owning one of my own.

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Custom Fence Builder

Trade: Fence Manufacture and Installation

I wouldn't own one, mainly because the ones I've seen are ugly. My mind could be changed, but hasn't been so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Web Dude

Trade: Modular Home Sales, Sip Homes and HERs rater
Rewards Points: 25

Susan, check out my web page: www.modularhomeplace.com

Florida has a lot of cookie cutter box makers.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Betz View Post
I wouldn't own one, mainly because the ones I've seen are ugly. My mind could be changed, but hasn't been so far.
You have probably just seen the lower end ones. Homes from a quality manufacturer can be finished so that they are indistinguishable from a stick built, and the quality of materials and overall strength of the structures are far superior.

Unfortunately many people believe that modular built homes and factory built homes are the same thing, but they are two entirely different animals, a factory built home basically being a glorified house trailer.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Knowledge Factory

Trade: Certified Floorcovering Failure Investigator

I wouldn't own one!! They do no appreciate, they depreciate in value.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: general contractor

Check out 'Dwell' magazine's contest for the best designed modular home. Very cool. I would definitely live in one of those!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:06 PM   #8
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Betz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floordude View Post
I wouldn't own one!! They do no appreciate, they depreciate in value.

Yup..real ugly depreciating POS's....yup:

http://www.nhmodularhomes.com/

http://www.nahb.org/generic.aspx?gen...547&print=true

http://www.the-homestore.com/handout...-companies.htm

Here are some more hideous models:
http://images.google.com/images?q=mo...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Rewards Points: 5,444

The new ones like pictured above are probably fine. Ive been is some a few years ago and they are nothing but crap. There was a bedroom and where a wall met another wall there there was about a 2" gap and you could see into the next room. My grandma lives in a small one and its pretty cheap too. Cardboard walls, and the doors are cut about 3" above the floor. I think its about 6yrs old now. I think it just depends on who builds it and puts it together.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
David Davis

Trade: ? No thanks, I like mine better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
You have probably just seen the lower end ones. Homes from a quality manufacturer can be finished so that they are indistinguishable from a stick built, and the quality of materials and overall strength of the structures are far superior.

Unfortunately many people believe that modular built homes and factory built homes are the same thing, but they are two entirely different animals, a factory built home basically being a glorified house trailer.
The lower end ones are called "Manufactured Homes" while the higher end ones are called "Modular".....Modular homes are still governed by the local building codes...But they are still built remotely.....While manufactured homes are meant to be "mobile homes" and serve as "trailers", the code involved in building either type of home is minimal compared to what we GC's have to deal with to change baseboard, imagine that.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
Pro

These homes are from Terrace Homes in WI and I've personally been in those homes- very nice indeed.

http://www.terracehomes.com/tours.html#

Last edited by Dustball; 10-31-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #12
Custom Fence Builder

Trade: Fence Manufacture and Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by john haddad View Post
Susan, check out my web page: www.modularhomeplace.com

Florida has a lot of cookie cutter box makers.
John, those are nice looking. Florida has a lot of transient population and the housing to match. There are more trailer parks here than I've seen anywhere else, and too many of those are decrepit piles of decaying metal.

I do know that modular homes, unlike trailers, appreciate. But seriously, the ones I've seen here (not trailers, modular) all have exposed seams and look horribly tacky. So with some more evidence, I'm willing to take a look.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

modulars have come a long way. I think people still associate them with manufactured housing. I have 2 new neighbors across the street that got modulars and I'd be happy living in either of them.

Watch the rear view mirrors everyone. They are coming up fast.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Betz

I wouldn't say THE STRUCTURES ARE FAR SUPERIOR,but maybe I'v just seen the lower end models.
- Things I've seen that turn me away are;
- Shingles stapled on(not code anywhere)
- Wiring and plumbing notched into studs and floor joists without any protection.(find a building inspector to let this pass?)
- Spruce framing(twisted with 1" bows in the walls)
- Add on dog house dormers with 2 by 4 rafters(all twisted up and out of square)
-Uneven walls when setting after they are set(one wall usually out of plumb)
- Gaps between the boxes after they are set
-squeaky floor joists(try fixing that with the carpet already installed)

I was hired to add a window to one of these units and just missed the the main (electrical)conduit by fraction of an inch.The thing was buried in an exterior wall,without any protection or even fasteners.
Plus I've seen the guys that are hired to complete them.The proverbial "Jack of all Trades"
Never in my lifetime would I invest my money in one of these cracker boxes.Unless you upgrade everything ,it will need replacement in 10 years.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
FT.WORTH,TX MASTER PLUMB

Trade: plumbing
Rewards Points: 250

boy! thoz thangs sher is fancy probably cost a fortune. i thinks i'll stay with my 1981 OAKSTAR TRIPPLE WIDE. If i can ever get those tires off tha roof me and MA are gonna pull it to tha other coast for a vacation this summer.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shed-n-deck View Post
The lower end ones are called "Manufactured Homes" while the higher end ones are called "Modular".....Modular homes are still governed by the local building codes...But they are still built remotely.....While manufactured homes are meant to be "mobile homes" and serve as "trailers", the code involved in building either type of home is minimal compared to what we GC's have to deal with to change baseboard, imagine that.
So what is wrong with the fact that it is built remotely? I still agree that "manufactured" homes are mostly low end, just glorified trailers as I said previously. On the other hand ,a modular home from a quality producer is built to the most current national standards, as they must be able to be shipped anywhere , generally without individual modification for local codes, except for foundation engineering , which must be by a local engineer. They are stronger, straighter and built to much closer tolerances than any stick built home I have seen. The lumber does not get dumped in the weather on an empty lot, sit exposed to the elements for 6 weeks during framing, and get banged together by a bunch of yahoos who think anything within 3/8 of an inch is perfect.

And no, I do not have anything to do with this industry. I just recognize that modern modular construction is a long way from the early "pre fabs" that gave the industry the black eye it is still battleing.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 10-30-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
So what is wrong with the fact that it is built remotely? I still agree that "manufactured" homes are mostly low end, just glorified trailers as I said previously. On the other hand ,a modular home from a quality producer is built to the most current national standards, as they must be able to be shipped anywhere , generally without individual modification for local codes, except for foundation engineering , which must be by a local engineer. They are stronger, straighter and built to much closer tolerances than any stick built home I have seen. The lumber does not get dumped in the weather on an empty lot, sit exposed to the elements for 6 weeks during framing, and get banged together by a bunch of yahoos who think anything within 3/8 of an inch is perfect.

And no, I do not have anything to do with this industry. I just recognize that modern modular construction is a long way from the early "pre fabs" that gave the industry the black eye it is still battleing.
Ditto, I fully agree. There's still a lot of misconceptions about modular houses being the same as manufactured houses.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #18
David Davis

Trade: ? No thanks, I like mine better!

Quote:
So what is wrong with the fact that it is built remotely?
Nothing is wrong with that, I was just stating a fact....My point was that there are differences between modular and manufactured. Many people don't understand that.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:18 PM   #19
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Rewards Points: 5,444

When they haul them in from china is when it gets bad.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #20
Knowledge Factory

Trade: Certified Floorcovering Failure Investigator

Those are trailer houses???

When I hear modular home, I'm thinking "double or triple wide"

Those don't look like any "modular" home I have seen... My statement above, does not apply to those pictured above.

Advertisement