Mobile Home Remodel - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Mobile Home Remodel

Old 12-15-2016, 11:04 PM   #1

Trade: siding/windows
Rewards Points: 4

Mobile Home Remodel

I bought a circa 1980 double wide mobile home that I want to remodel for a lake home. It currently has 2x4" walls that I want to change to 2x6" so I can use the home during both winter and summer. It is currently gutter out. I am planning on putting in all new windows, doors,insulation, wiring,etc. and will drywall the entire mobile home.

Any hints,advice,previous experiences (good or bad), do's or don'ts,
or so on about this project?

I will appreciate any input anyone has.
Thank you

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 12:52 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,842

Re: Mobile Home Remodel

Does it have an actual supporting foundation. Those units are usually made with big Y arms holding the walls up. If you add too much extra weight, you can stress them and get sag. That is why they use such light weight materials along with having to be transported.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

hdavis (12-16-2016), Huck513 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 3,352

Why not just foam it?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Huck513 (12-16-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,440

You're going to replace the 2x4 walls with 2x6 walls? I assume this is for insulating factor.
Leave the 2x4 walls. Houses have been built with 2x4 walls, for years. Really, ever since they started framing houses. I know every house built around 1900 had 2x4 walls.

For a lake house, you are talking about sinking a ton of money into a double wide. What is the reason? You are doing so much, why not new? The only thing you aren't taking about is the foundation. Obviously there isn't one.

It's your money I guess. I know, in some states, there aren't any taxes on mobile homes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (12-21-2016), Oklahomatyler (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,412

I agree with having to watch how much weight you add to the outside walls, if no real foundation. I have seen the outside wall start to fall off with out the extra weight. If gutted on the inside I would really think about just having it spray foamed before sheetrock goes back. Or add foam board to the outside .
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Huck513 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #6

Trade: Decks and Fences
Rewards Points: 134

If it will ever move drywall will crack. Also mobile homes never really stop settling so drywall will keep cracking unless on cement foundation. Make sure you use mobile home exterior doors they make good steel ones that hold up better than putting a house door on. Most electricians I have dealt with re wire double wide mobile homes like a real house so they are a huge pain to separate and move again down the road.

Check block pillars they are prone to cracking or falling over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomatyler For This Useful Post:
Huck513 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,948

Not sure what year they started to do it but. The drywall is thinner and stapled on and glued on. If your gutting the interior and haven't already your in for a nice stressful party killer treat.

I recently put in a window and glass slider both larger then previous ones. Took 3 plus days and I didn't do the drywall repair. That was up to the owner. I lost my shirt for what it was worth (the customer already bought the window and door.

Then I get another one that wanted a whole bunch of mods to a double. Like move the location of several windows. Hardie plank the outside and add a room. And remodel a bunch of stuff inside later (no price given for that though) and so far my estimate is about the same as a new unit? I told them they should get a new unit instead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unger.const For This Useful Post:
Huck513 (12-16-2016), Oklahomatyler (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #8

Trade: siding/windows
Rewards Points: 4

We bought the double-wide & lot in a mobile home park (actually we currently have a different mobile home there but only single-wide so we are planning on moving into double-wide). The home that is currently there has been gutted down to the 2x4" stud walls,including the ceiling,flooring & insulation. The entire home has sheathing under the siding. The roof is shingled with 3/12 pitch. The sub-floor is very solid,with no obvious water damage. The windows are original,so they will all be replaced,along with the doors.
I have enough room on the lake-side to add up to 12' more to the home. I am planning on putting as many windows as possible on lake side,with a deck out front. I would love to build storage space under the deck. I'll have about 7' of clearance so should be plenty of head room.
It sounds like keeping the 2x4 walls and using foam insulation is the way to go. Any other ideas?
Thanks again for your help!
Old 12-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

Trade: Decks and Fences
Rewards Points: 134

Yea most mobile homes are either paneling over 1/4 inch plywood or 1/4 inch pre finished drywall

if subfloor is that particle board I would not recommend putting any money into it.

Can not tell you how much of that stuff I have ripped out and replaced with plywood.

Most cases someone's foot or leg went through floor.

Depending on brand and model floor joist may be 24" on center.

I do not recommend additions to mobile homes the mobile home will always move more than the addition.

Inside walls are usually built with 2x3 and 1x3 every other stud which can make drywall, and plumbing a nightmare.

drywall in mobile homes are railroaded. Also you will need to install nailers for drywall in almost every inside corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomatyler For This Useful Post:
VGCLtd (12-21-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,412

Sound like you might have one of the better built ones. what does it have for skirting right now? I have done permanent skirting on them before. Poured footing then foam block with concrete, Make it really nice , but not a real cheap job. Which if you are going to add on I would consider doing. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: renovations
Rewards Points: 7,631

Unless the exterior studs are rotten replacing them with 2x6's is a waste of time.

Any half decent heat source is going to heat it up perfectly fine.

I just bought one not that long ago, it's -14 F now with a wood stove going it's really comfortable inside.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,824

Run whalers on the walls. Something like 5/4X3" or 2X3, maybe cedar if you're worried about weight. You should be able to do that in a day. It gets you room for easy running of the wires, room for more insulation, less thermal bridging, and allows vertical drywall installation without railroading.

Depending on where you are, you can partial foam the walls and finish with fiberglass, or you may just be able to use fiberglass.

Roof systems are usually a big weakness on these.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 828

here's my two cents

I live in a forty plus year old double wide, sitting on a lot I own, sometimes I think the lot is worth more than the house, nearing the 400k mark for resale these days

used the double wide as a shell and completely redid the whole thing, only thing original is one wall on the inside

here are a couple thoughts

left 2x4 walls as is, R13 insulation, added 1 inch ridged foam on the outside of the house, just on the lower half covering about 3 ft of wall and the existing skirting, sealed behind the foam with ice and water shield, installed corrugated metal over top of the foam, drip edge then cedar siding above

drywalled the entire interior, only have one place, where the two halves were connected that I have a foot or so long crack in the wall that appears and disapears depending on the season

installed 1/2 ply over top of the existing particle board flooring, except the bathrooms where I installed all new subfloors

have a small 1/2 inch +/- drop on the floor at all non gable end exterior walls, it was like that when I bought it, hasn't gotten any worse

my roof system is pretty good, (for) a totally hacked together 2x6 junk made truss system, I've maxed out at over three feet of snow on the roof before I get up there and shovel, never had any problems Put a two layer system of insulation in the "attic" I'm at an R46

have forced hot air, but it only kicks on late at night, mostly heat with wood stove 4 cords a year, and some plug in radiator type portable heaters, usually get it to 75 in there on most nights unless it's below zero, had a couple -12 nights a week ago
Old 12-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 100

In JLC online forums, they used to discuss a system they nicknamed "Mooney Wall" it might be worth a look over there.

Basically it is insulated 2x4 walls, and horizontal 2"x2" strapping that has polyIso in between them giving an effective 6" thick R-20. and the horizontal strapping will make the new wall installation easier.

www.BadcoDoors.com
Old 12-21-2016, 02:55 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

Mobile homes aren't drywalled for a reason. And they are built the way they are built for human living in winter or summer. ???

Maybe I'm wrong but does anyone else smell a DIYER?

Build yourself a concrete slab and buy a used shipping container for 2 grand. There ya go, insulated walls, insulated roof, bug proof, water proof, hail, wind and fire proof, electrical is already ran, all ya need are windows, doors and a floor. I just saved you 2 months of work and about 10 grand. YOU ARE WELCOME.
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile home remodel-1482306867365.jpg   Mobile home remodel-1482306880419.jpg   Mobile home remodel-1482306889179.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (12-21-2016)