Miscommunications - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Miscommunications

Old 12-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Trade: General contracting
Rewards Points: 68

Miscommunications

I'm looking for suggestions on how to manage daily tasks, scheduling, estimates, etc. Very day something seems to fall through the cracks. Daily we have a missed appointment, forgot to following with a customer, an estimate near deadline, forget to ordering materials or equipment, or some office task get missed.

I think a lot of it is miscommunicating or lack of communication. How do I track and keep 5 employees all on the same page.

Seeking advice to delagate and manage these responsibilities. Is there a task manager app I can implement and track to ensure these daily tasks are being completed. And employees can view as well to ensure unity and teamwork.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,854

Re: Miscommunications

missed appointments is inexcusable.

with 5 guys you should be able to track what you need on a simple calendar app.

do you have morning meetings to make certain people know their responsibilities?

Advertisement

Jaws (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 4,308

I just developed a permanent twitch and my left eye almost exploded lol

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
griz (12-04-2018), mrcat (12-04-2018), Tinstaafl (12-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #4

I have meetings on Monday morning to layout weekly objectives and projects. I'm a firefighter, so about two days a week I'm not in the office or available in the morning.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 4,308

Need a little more info to go on, are you you're only office Personnel I would imagine? The other four people or five people are field technicians? Are they separate from each other or do they work together on one crew or in pairs? What kind of projects?

One thing for sure, if you're going to be out of pocket two days a week you damn sure need a second in command and someone your clients can get a hold of all day.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Fixed (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 556

A full time business operated only part time doesn't work. Everyone has to know their responsibilities first and foremost the operator.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Fixed (12-05-2018), griz (12-04-2018), Jaws (12-06-2018), Justin Rhoades (12-05-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 498

management is tough

good responsible employees , with a conscience are hard to come by.
especially in your case .
they could easily coast on those days your not there
need to make out some scope of work per project.
hand each guy ( or gal) a daily or just a pad , and say " i need to see whats going on per day, per hour

even if your not there ,, they can send you pics throughout the day

if i`m not there i tell my guy/s " i need you to reach out to me , and at least 3 times a day , take pics, and at the end of the day take pics , and send them but wait there till i receive those pics so i can ask questions .
and make materials list for me!!"
allot of times i have my guys talk with me about a project , even as i`m bidding it. get their feel on how long its going to take, since they`re actually the ones doing the work.
then i can hold them a little accountable as far as time
Old 01-01-2019, 07:00 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,260

The problem is you. I'm sure you don't want to hear that. It is very difficult to be a fireman and a contractor. I know, all firemen have a second job. Not because they need it, but because they have so much time off. It's almost like your co-workers look down on you, if you don't have a second part time business.
I know alot of firemen. Actually, I know every fireman in my town. 80% of them have a part time gig.

You either need to have someone in charge, or you need to be in charge. Of course it's tough for you to be in charge when your attention is somewhere else. You thought you could make alot of money in contracting. Believe me, even full time, it's tough to make money. I work everyday. Not every 2nd day.

If you want to keep it going, you've got to step up. Have more meetings. They don't have to be long, just enough to touch base with everyone.
Truthfully, your reputation of missing meetings and deadlines will catch up to you. It will take a few years though.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:49 AM   #9

Thank you
Old 01-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,364

I do it the analog way, I write a list everyday of what I have to do.
Put in my console of my truck so I constantly see it, and cross off each task as I do it.

Advertisement