Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Mildew On Ceiling

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  summithomeinc 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I have been on here. Love the new layout.

I am stumped on a client'c ceiling. I am having mildew problems in three of the rooms.

Here are the facts as I know them now. Very nice, upscale house, 5-7 years old. Sealed crawlspace.

1. A cedar closet 7' X 9'. 9' high ceiling. Vent in floor. Hardwood floors. Ceiling at door registers 12% over door to room. Further away from door it is lower to 0. Wall panels register 10% or less. Mildew stays on ceiling primarily right at door. Door stays open most of time. Placed a humidity meter in room for three days. 71.9 degrees and 63%. The calculated dew point is around 58 degrees. The room is directly below a bathroom. The area is directly below a vanity. Bathroom above is little used. I opened two holes in the ceiling and did an inspection above. No mildew or moisture above ceiling. However, the space between floors was very cool.

2. Hall powder room. Vanity is first room. Toilet is in second room behind it. This is relation to toilet room only. doors stay open. No vent. attic directly above. Moisture content was about 17-18%. Temperature is about 72 degrees. The humidity was about 58. Floors are tile. Walls are drywall with wallpaper. Ceiling drywall. Have not checked attic area yet but moisture was not existent before during inspections.

3. Owners toilet room. same scenario as cedar closet. no vents. door stays open.

I am totally stumped. The mildew appears to be surface only. No wetness or stains on drywall. No other areas are doing this. This is a 5500 SF house. Any ideas? I did paint the cedar closet ceiling with latex and mildewcide added. Not the other ones yet.

See less See more
#6 ·
Not on the same side of house. The cedar closet and the powder room is on the west side and has an outside wall. The owners toilet room is on the north side but it is about 10' from north and about 5' from east wall. It has its own door and the shower is between the two owners baths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.