Middle Tennessee Floods - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Middle Tennessee Floods

Old 05-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Middle Tennessee Floods

How many out there have been affected by the recent flooding, either at work or home? Our home is fine, but we have several friends who have flooded basements/ crawl spaces.

I just finished the box culvert at my school project. The crew kept asking why we were building such a large structure for a itty bitty creek. Guess this answers that question.

The fence you see in the picture is now washed out due to the debris built up behind it. We will be repairing it and assessing other damages as soon as the water goes down.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

Re: Middle Tennessee Floods

Flooding is horrible. Hope everey body you know gets out ok.

Here is my hood when it flooded in 08 it got 6-7' higher than in this pic. This is also over a mile from the rivers edge.

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Project Superintendent

Here is a picture at the building in between the wings. In this area the gutters, downspouts and underground drainage have not been completed. It rained so hard the the runoff from the roof flooded the area and 2 to 3 inches of water came in the first floor, flooding several classrooms. Looks like we will be working on a builders risk claim next week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

My wife's parents had water half way
up the first floor on their two story condo this morning in the Belleview area of Nashville.

They've been moved
to one of the shelters,with basically the clothes on their back.
Fortunately,one of her brothers is in
a dry area and trying to get them there,but most of the roads in that are closed.
I kind of wonder how prompt the warnings were issued,since they only had time to move some personal stuff upstairs.
The they were told no pets at the shelters so hopefully they have some kind of a plan to get them somewhere safe until they can be reclaimed.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Project Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
Flooding is horrible. Hope everey body you know gets out ok.

Here is my hood when it flooded in 08 it got 6-7' higher than in this pic. This is also over a mile from the rivers edge.
When Mother Nature decides to do that to you it can make you feel pretty helpless and insignificant.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

Good luck mudpad, hope not to much gets messed up on site.
Could you dig a trench to day light with that mini to drain it? Don't know if you are in for more rain or if it is over.

Cole

Last edited by Cole82; 05-02-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Project Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfrt View Post
My wife's parents had water half way
up the first floor on their two story condo this morning in the Belleview area of Nashville.

They've been moved
to one of the shelters,with basically the clothes on their back.
Fortunately,one of her brothers is in
a dry area and trying to get them there,but most of the roads in that are closed.
I kind of wonder how prompt the warnings were issued,since they only had time to move some personal stuff upstairs.
The they were told no pets at the shelters so hopefully they have some kind of a plan to get them somewhere safe until they can be reclaimed.
Wow, that's tough for them.

They actually were posting flash flood watches and predicting 3 to 5 inches of rain the day before. What we got was 10 inches in a day, which is an all time record, and areas flooded that no one would ever have suspected would flood.

One of my guys just called me and told me his dog drowned in his back yard while he was at work doing "flood control" with me yesterday. He has to take a day off to do clean up around his place.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Project Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
Good luck mudpan, hope not to much gets messed up on site.
Could you dig a trench to day light with that mini to drain it? Don't know if you are in for more rain or if it is over.

Cole
Yeah we could have done that, but we were trenching another area to keep our silt and runoff from going into the adjacent neighborhood. The mini is sitting there ready to install the underground drainage. There are four areas like this, two off them got completed before the flood.

Rain is supposed to be over this afternoon for our area.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
MattMatt

Trade: Remodeling/Renovation
Rewards Points: 75

I had about 5'of water in my basement. My shop tools are probably toast.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpad View Post
The crew kept asking why we were building such a large structure for a itty bitty creek. Guess this answers that question.
Really.

I'm morbidly curious, though... That's a pretty massive project you're on. I would think they'd have done studies and built to pretty well preclude the possibility of flood damage, either during or after the build.

Did someone drop the ball, or is this flooding truly jaw-droppingly unprecedented and unpredictable?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Project Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Really.

I'm morbidly curious, though... That's a pretty massive project you're on. I would think they'd have done studies and built to pretty well preclude the possibility of flood damage, either during or after the build.

Did someone drop the ball, or is this flooding truly jaw-droppingly unprecedented and unpredictable?
It is some of both. The 100 year flood plain is shown on the site survey drawings, and the box culvert was designed around those levels. The levels of flooding we saw yesterday was still about 5 feet below the 100 year flood level. We had another 5 to 10 inches of rain today, and I won't know until tomorrow what that did, but yesterday there was still about 3' of freeboard on the bridge.

The news reports say that 10 inches of rain in one day breaks the all time record for any day since they have been keeping records.

The box culvert itself was not damaged yesterday. The fence was washed out. This property was formerly a cow pasture, and the cattle are still on the other side, so we will have to get that back up fairly quickly as the water recedes.

I'll do a follow up post after I get to the job and check things out tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to mudpad For This Useful Post:
Tinstaafl (05-02-2010)
Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
Project Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhafner View Post
I had about 5'of water in my basement. My shop tools are probably toast.
Bummer! Whats your location?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
MattMatt

Trade: Remodeling/Renovation
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Bummer! Whats your location?
I am in West Nashville, Sylvan Park.

Advertisement