MHIC Contractor Limitation - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

MHIC Contractor Limitation

Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #1

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 10

MHIC Contractor Limitation

New here. This question is for Maryland specific but all info is great.

Started on my own not long ago, I do smaller to midrange jobs, most of the work ourselves.

I can't find a clear description that defines how much plumbing/electric one can preform with a MHIC license alone and what defines plumbing/electric.

I "think"? I remember reading that lines cannot be altered.

MD contractors, how much can you do before a master plumbers/electricians license is needed?

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 98

Re: MHIC Contractor Limitation

Quote:
General construction contractors don't need a license to work in Maryland. You will need a license to do electrical, plumbing or HVACR contracting, or work on home improvement projects.

http://www.contractors-license.org/md/Maryland.html

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

Ty for the fast reply.

That is a bs spam site though. (Not trying to sound rude)
In md. Mhic (home improvement lic is different than gen. Contract Lic)

I appreciate it as I cant find anything.

Thks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 98

I would call these peeps..

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/mhic/
Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Thks.

There was one knowledgeable and helpful guy there when I called awhile back.

Thought others here could show me in writing since I cant find anything.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Insurance Broker - Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 666

I had a look through the various pages related to the MHIC license on Dept of Labor, Licensing and Regulation website that MAULEMALL referenced. I am thinking that you probably won't find an authoritative site that concisely puts in writing how much, if any, electrical-plumbing-HVAC work you can undertake if you have an MHIC license.

It would be the same as trying to find a statement that says: "You are allowed to do some insurance consulting with an MHIC license". You know you are not allowed unless you have an Insurance license, even though the MHIC website doesn't come right out and say Yes, No, or something in between. The same goes for electrical work without a State Board of Master Electricians license or plumbing work without a State Board of Plumbing license.

To explain this further, one needs to look at the intent of the MHIC license. From the DLLR/MHIC webpages, it appears that the purpose of the license is to qualify you as a financially stable and above-board business owner that operates by the rules, has insurance and doesn't have a criminal record. They are looking to weed out the curb-siders and fly-by-nighters. I have not taken the exam and I didn't want to pay the fee to get access to the prep material, but the MHIC site says:
Quote:
Examinations are based on laws and regulations relating to the operation of a home improvement business and the sale of home improvement work.
It appears that there isn't a single practical knowledge question related to wiring a room or installing a toilet. Therefore, the mandate of the MHIC does not include qualifying you for any kind of electrical/plumbing/HVAC work; not even the most minor aspects of these types of tradework.

The above seems to be logical don't you think? I'll leave it to others who have the actual MHIC license and practical experience to confirm. As I am not an expert in Maryland licensing requirements, my comments need to be taken in context.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: cabinet installer
Rewards Points: 150

The way I understand it (I work in Md ) is a general MHIC license enables you to take on any home improvement job BUT when it comes to the electrical and plumbing you must use a contractor that has a specific license for those specific trades . You cannot pull a permit for either trade without a license .

The showroom I install for has a general license and when we need electical or plumbing done they have a licensed plumber and electrican we bring in to perform those tasks . If I bid the whole job i have an electrician and plumber I use . Both are licensed .I like using my guys as we have worked together numerous times .I know what they want done on my end .

I won't lie . A few times I have disconnected the plumbing when I do a tear out . I'm already there . I do not do the reconnect . I don't want to be responsible for a leak or the headache it causes .

I have also reinstalled a dishwasher if the plumber had no reason to come back and has already ran the supply line but thats about it regarding plumbing , it is illegal for me to do this . I have also moved an outlet or 2 and this is also illegal but if that is the extent of the electrical I will do it .

I know I may get some criticism on here for doing these things but I do them correctly and I use common sense .I'm not trying to take away work from anyone , in fact I give sparky and the plumber alot of work because I refuse to do reconnects on plumbing and refuse to add anything onto an existing circut without a licensed electrician doing the work . I won't go in a panel box unless it's to turn off a breaker .

The way we interpret the MHIC is we cannot touch any electrical or plumbing without having that specific license . Yes I have broken the law a few times . Common sense is your friend . A good homeowner shouldn't want you doing any major electrical or plumbing anyway but some don't care if they think they are saving a buck.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Insurance Broker - Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 666

So, in essence, I suppose what you are saying is that the contracted work is only what your MHIC license allows, but the dishwasher connect or the outlet relocate is something that you are doing "as a free favour for a friend". The homeowner, being that "friend", does not have to be licensed if doing work on his own personally-occupied home.

I suppose that can work as long as the homeowner realizes that they have no recourse to come after you because this was outside of the scope of your work contract.

Would this be a correct understanding of the situation?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #9

Trade: Painter

I just got my MHIC license after 5 months. Now I am told that changes was made by the MHIC to contracts starting Aug 2012. I asked the MHIC where i could get a approved contract by the MHIC and they told me hire a lawyer to figure it out. Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the contract listing all the MHIC rules? MHIC tells me that each contract signed that dont meet the new laws could cost me $2,000 per signed contract in fines.
Thanks

Advertisement