Mac's 2009 Ramp Challenge - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Mac's 2009 Ramp Challenge

Old 11-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

Mac's 2009 Ramp Challenge

Wasn't expecting that thread to die as quickly as it did...

Here's the challenge: respond to this thread, publically state that you will build a ramp before Nov. 1st, 2009 and post pics of the job when you're done.

It's sure nice to say you'll look into it, but if no one presses the issue, the topic dies and no ramps get built. I will be more than happy to help make your projects happen. I'm chairing up the R-A-T committee for '09, we'll have our first meeting in the spring. You guys are welcome to piggyback on our time frame - I'll get you as much info to help w/ your projects as I can. Seth had mentioned setting up a website w/ links and info. We could do that or just run a couple of threads here.

Was it just feel-good responses to the other thread or do you really want to do this? You can make a real difference in someone's life, guys.

Mac

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 104

Re: Mac's 2009 Ramp Challenge

I'm in - of course it wont be through the local HBA (I refuse to join them) so I will have to look around for another Non Profit.

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Pro

Excellent! By no means is this an HBA-only deal, they just happen to be the organization I'm associated with. We can make this work for everyone, no matter who you're working with (or even if you're going completely solo).

Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler
Rewards Points: 526

Hey Mac, send me some info, of course I'm interested. (and actually have some access situations I'm looking at working on with someone @ DHS).
-john5mt
Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 6,486

Mac, I am in!

I am trying to get some work in a new area, and this would be a great way to get exposure plus the benefit of helping to make someones life easier!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060

Count me in!

I like the idea about the web site. Maybe Nathan and Seth can work out the "how to" with the site and we can link it to our sites when the ramp is completed?

Send me some info when you get it. I can contact the state for a list of those in need and can find a supplier who will most likely take care of the materials.

Great idea!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,498

We did 4 this spring for the United Way Day of Caring!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

I am also in

Last edited by rbsremodeling; 11-05-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler
Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
I am also into Mac.

And who isn't?
-john5mt
Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Puppy Old Man
Rewards Points: 250

OK, I just registered ramp-a-thon.com

This is a wonderful idea.

I will volunteer to build a website to connect people to resources, schedules, how-to stuff, information, other R.A.T.'s (love that acronym) etc.

Please feel free to spew out as many ideas for the website as you can come up with so I can start compiling and organizing things.

Great idea Mac! Want to collaborate on schedule, etc? Feed me the goods, brother.

The Construction Marketing Blog
Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,584

Please send me the info.

[email protected]
Old 11-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
Pro

Alright... you guys rock! I was worried for a minute there that interest had waned -

I'll get a initial list together and get it posted. Thanks, Seth, for picking up that domain..I'll get info to you and we'll get that thing populated.

This is what we can do. Enjoy your night, guys...

Mac
Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #13
Pro

R-A-T Challenge '09

1. Find a recipient
a. Google “charitable organization” and “your area” for a list of potential organizations that might already have info on folks in need of a ramp
b. Contact your local Vet center (or one in a nearby town/city) about building a ramp for a disabled vet
c. If you attend one, ask around in your church.
d. If you belong to a networking organization, ask around there about folks who could use a ramp.
Like I said, pretty much everyone in need of a ramp should be able to have one. It shouldn’t be too hard to find a deserving recipient.

Let me know if you’re coming up dry and I’ll do my best to find someone for you.

2. Find materials donors
a. If you spend a great deal of money at a local lumberyard, talk with the owners about a donation of materials. I’ll post a generic materials list for a 26’ ramp (or better yet, put it on the website, ramp-a-thon.com) For a ramp between 20’-30’ long, you could figure on $600-800 in materials (not including plywood). SkidGuard plywood will run about $100/sheet for a 4x8 sheet. There are other less expensive options that I’ll get to Seth to put on the website.
b. If you can’t get the entire amount of materials donated, you’ll need some cash to make up the difference.
b1. Talk to a local bank/credit union.
b2. Talk to your organizations.
b3. Talk to your church
Folks, we’re only talking about a couple of hundred bucks here. If you get 3-4 sources kicking in $200 apiece, you’ve got it. These ramps are not huge expensive projects. That’s the beauty of this - not a huge cash outlay, not a huge labor outlay - just a quick, simple project and someone can get in and out of their house.

3. Find labor volunteers
a. If you run crews, boom, you’ve got it. One of these ramps should be a 1/2 day project for a 3-4 man crew. Like I said, my first one, Matt and I knocked one out in 19 hours (over 3 days) but that time included getting the materials as well as shaping all the hr components and digging footings. I was also making up the design as I went along so that slowed me down too. (Look at me, all full of excuses!) The second one took 1 1/2 hr of prep (pouring down rain necessitated setting up shelter over the cut table) and 3 hours of work (3 builders, 2 grunts).
I’ll post my build detail list on the website so ya’ll can streamline your process and learn from my fumblings!
4. Find media outlets interested in human interest stories
a. Media outlets are ALWAYS looking for new stories. Human interest stories are good fillers for when there isn’t quite enough violence and bad news to fill the time slot!!
b. Prepare a press release and send it to all local media sources. I’ll post some examples of press releases on the website.
c. Yes, this is for a good cause but it never hurts to get your name plastered on the news. Mention the media coverage to your potential donors and that might help them “get on board.”
d. You could either arrange to have a media crew out to the house on the day of the build OR take pics of the process OR have them out afterward to shoot the finished product. GET PERMISSION FROM THE HOS FIRST BEFORE INVITING MEDIA TO THEIR HOUSE!! Media coverage might be beneficial to their cause, they might welcome the exposure. BUT CHECK FIRST!
e. I'll talk w/ Seth about internet exposure. Human interest stories work online as well, through blogs, forums, online-only media outlets, etc. We'll get as much interest as possible for this project.
f. As this is being born on ct, we might need to get some ct t-shirts to wear during the build day. I'll talk w/ Nathan about sponsor possibilities, advertising, promotion, etc.
5. Build the thing.
a. No half-assed jobs - do it right, build it strong - electric wheelchairs and their owners can run up to 1,000 lbs - build that ramp to hold the weight.
b. I’ll post my materials list and design specs on the website. Feel free to build to my specs ...or build your own way. As long as it’s solid, that’s what’s important.
6. Take pics
a. of the site before, of the build process, of the finished ramp...if they’re willing, of the recipients next to their new ramp.
b. upload the pics to this thread or send them to Seth for uploading on the website. We'll get your business names and weblinks onto the website as well. I'm not sure how big this thing will eventually get but another level of exposure for your business can't hurt.
7. Hmmm, what am I forgetting? Well, if you think of questions, post ‘em here or shoot me a PM.

As the website takes shape, either Seth or I will post updates to this thread so you can check it out.

Thanks again, guys. This is going to rock!

Mac
Old 11-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060

It would be a good idea to start with a page that specifies ADA standards for the ramps. All to often I see ramps built with good intentions but do not meet the standards.

I'll dig up what I have and post it. This could be useful for the web site as well.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason W View Post
It would be a good idea to start with a page that specifies ADA standards for the ramps.

I'll dig up what I have and post it. This could be useful for the web site as well.
Good call, man! I've got that info as well, just didn't think about including it here...definitely need to get that on the website. No point in building a ramp that doesn't meet specs -

Mac
Old 11-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #16
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,016

http://www.mba-ks.com/mbaks3c.cfm?Se...ionListsID=167
Mac are you a member, this is a cool idea.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmagman View Post
http://www.mba-ks.com/mbaks3c.cfm?Se...ionListsID=167
Mac are you a member, this is a cool idea.
Not of that specific association, but one here in Eugene. We got the R-A-T idea from the Builder's Assoc. you linked to. They've been doing it since '93 so they've got the system down pat!

Mac
Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Puppy Old Man
Rewards Points: 250

I'm excited about this project, guys and gals!

Lets fill this thread up with any more fun website ideas that come to mind. How about it, people?

The Construction Marketing Blog
Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #19
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Does anyone recall a fellow Tradesman in FL who had come across "hard times" and a Child with Cancer?????????

Genecarp, myself and a buncha others were ready, willing and raring to go, to help this guy. So what happened????

We, as with this situation, did and will do NOTHING!

So? How do we overcome this obstacle of action versus intention?

I am not a "Naysayer", but I AM a realist!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
We, as with this situation, did and will do NOTHING!

So? How do we overcome this obstacle of action versus intention?
Fine line you're walking between being a realist and being a pessimist there, Malco...

Without a leader, causes die. Group efforts are nice but must be spearheaded by someone in charge. Period.

That's the difference. This is my deal, I'm going to make it happen. I stated in the OP not to post in this thread unless you were willing to be held accountable for a ramp getting built. Shall I look forward to including you in the list of builders for next years' ramps?

Mac

Advertisement