Looking For A Whole House AC - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Looking For A Whole House AC

Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Lightbulb

Looking For A Whole House AC

I am looking for a whole house AC and would like to know who makes the best one on the market? Who has the best warrenty? What to look for when buying one? Is there any rebates going on now?

I live in Northwest Ohio where we only need one for 21/2 months.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Looking For A Whole House AC

Not an ac contractor, so I am just throwing a couple of personal opinions out, interested in seeing some opinions from the pros.
First, even in a major heating climate, like I am in in south Louisiana, I have a hard time justifyling in my mind if it is worth cost difference from a high efficiency unit to the super high top end models. They don't seem to have any longer life span, and they seem to cost a lot more to service.

Our current ac man likes York, we have not had any problems with them. Our previous ac man liked Carrier, and they seemed to have need for more follow up service after installation.

I have Lennox in my personal house, and would not replace with same brand. Had to replace the coil several years ago, of course a few months after the warranty period was up. No sympathy from the factory, even though my service guy knew immediately what the problem was...the factory had switched to a new type of flux and down the road it started attacking the solder in the coils. He had changed several of them out for the same problem within several months, all very shortly after the warranty period, and got no factory help on any of them, even though it was common knowledge by this time why they were failing. He called me to see when he opened the coil case up and sprayed the leak detector on the tubes; at least 75% of the soldered joints showed freon leaks. Thinking I was doing the right thing , I had him replace it with a OEM coil instead of a generic after market;I had to have the system charged the last two years, so obviously there is another leak. This summer, I had to replace the fan motor on the condensor unit. Not the kind of quality I expect in a suppossedly top of the line brand , less than 10 yeras old.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Shortgun

IMO....
(I'm zipping up my nomex now...just give me one more second..ok) There are alot of good units out there..I personally install Ruud. I would ask around and find out what is locally available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtx View Post
Shortgun

IMO....
(I'm zipping up my nomex now...just give me one more second..ok) There are alot of good units out there..I personally install Ruud. I would ask around and find out what is locally available.
Do you like the RUUD? I was talking to my Heating & Cooling man the other day and he told me after 7 years hanlding RUDD he had just 1 call on them and that was a bug got into a conact and shorted it out. A very good unit he said.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #5

Pretty much all the equipment on the market today will do what it is supposed to, the problem is that there are a lot of installers that do not.

Call around your local dealers and get at least 3 quotes, they should do a manual J calc to make sure the machine is the correct size for your home, then make your choice based on which one makes you feel more comfortable and that you feel has the proper experience.

If you like you could get your prices and then jump back on here for everyone's opinion at that point.
Remember you can buy the most expensive equipment on the market but if it is not sized or installed correctly it will never work right.

My personal choice for residential is RUUD/RHEEM.