Looking For Advice From Contractors.. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Looking For Advice From Contractors..

Old 08-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Deck And Patio Installation
Rewards Points: 50

Looking For Advice From Contractors..

Hey guys I’m looking for some advice hopefully this is the right place to ask. I’m in a dilemma and torn between taking a new job or not. I’m just looking for the advice and wisdom of guys who aren’t biased and have been doing this for a long time. I work for a GC and it’s just us 2 he’s been around for a long time and always has steady work. I’ve learned more than I could have imagined working for him but I was offered a new job opportunity.

Right now I’m on salary with no benefits or anything. The new job is for a company that’s been around 16 years, the owner is my age (28) and we get along well I have known him a long time. He offered me significantly better pay with 40+ hours a week and as much overtime as I want. Bonuses per job for completing them early or on time and some benefits. He also offered me tools and a truck or van it’s up to my choosing. With the new job comes more responsibility. I’m somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my work and I’m afraid to just take the job because I know I could always learn more. Someone told me though that you’ll never know everything and there will always be stuff to learn. I know I’m capable of making the transition and making his company look good. I’m looking to start a family eventually and I think this might be the route to go.

Any insight, wisdom or advice I will seriously take into consideration. Hope to hear back from some of you I’m curious to see what you guys make of the situation.

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,026

Re: Looking For Advice From Contractors..

the owner is 28 years old and his company been around 16 years????

Advertisement

B.D.R. (08-19-2019), Tom M (08-18-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
New Guy

6 years sorry for the typo. He has steady work year round or I wouldn’t even consider it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,402

Benjamin Frankling T-Bar... pro's and con's of each situation...

Although I think you already know the answer and are looking for confirmation... If you decide to leave, do it on good terms, as most guys will welcome back a dependable long-term worker, and if you decide to stay, there's no reason you can't use the offer from your friend to sweeten the deal on your current gig...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
fjn (08-16-2019), griz (08-16-2019), NJ Contractor (08-16-2019), rselectric1 (08-16-2019), Tom M (08-18-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #5

Trade: GC aka adult baby sitter
Rewards Points: 114

Lot's of variables to consider. Does he do the type of work you enjoy? I've seen people go for greener pastures only to work for someone who takes on anything to make money.

Will he have 40+ hours when things aren't booming? How much more money and what size bonuses? My guys get 4-6 weeks pay for year end bonuses along with paid vacations and holidays. How flexible is either employer with hours when life happens?

Only advice I can offer is leave on the best terms possible and leave enough notice to not leave the guy hanging. I gave my boss a few months notice when I went on my own.

I've seen many guys over the years leave for less than 6 months and come back. Promises are much easier than actually delivering them.

Good muck man, let us know how it shakes out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastjoe For This Useful Post:
fjn (09-02-2019), griz (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastjoe View Post
Lot's of variables to consider. Does he do the type of work you enjoy? I've seen people go for greener pastures only to work for someone who takes on anything to make money.

Will he have 40+ hours when things aren't booming? How much more money and what size bonuses? My guys get 4-6 weeks pay for year end bonuses along with paid vacations and holidays. How flexible is either employer with hours when life happens?

Only advice I can offer is leave on the best terms possible and leave enough notice to not leave the guy hanging. I gave my boss a few months notice when I went on my own.

I've seen many guys over the years leave for less than 6 months and come back. Promises are much easier than actually delivering them.

Good muck man, let us know how it shakes out.
Both guys sort of take on anything they can get there hands on, not every single job that comes their way they pick and choose but they aren’t afraid to work outside of comfort zones. The goal for me and my buddy is if I take this job to grow with his company and become a GC/project manager and to eventually run a few crews to knock out projects as long as there is no sacrifice in the quality of our work. The guy I’m with now is content with his 2 man operation (me and him) and has no desire to give me a raise, benefits, he doesn’t want to grow or make more money. I’m not saying growing is everything but ultimately I want a stable career and better pay. Pay that will help my family grow. I guess I’m just afraid to make the leap and afraid to fail. I posted here not for confirmation in my choice but to honestly just see different sides of this and hear different opinions from guys who have been doing this a while. My current boss says he will be around for about 3-5 more years. I’ve stuck with him for 3 years not because of the pay but for the knowledge up until this point I’ve been treating it as an apprenticeship.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,026

sounds like its time to move up the ladder....
BlueRidgeGreen (08-16-2019), Dirtywhiteboy (08-16-2019), KAP (08-16-2019), Metro M & L (08-18-2019), Rio (08-16-2019), rselectric1 (08-16-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (08-17-2019), SummitElectric1 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
New Guy

As far as flexibility on taking days off they’re both pretty understanding. And the bonuses are a percentage of the job 3-5%. Overtime is time and a half. Sorry I didn’t fully answer your post before.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyfattori View Post
Both guys sort of take on anything they can get there hands on, not every single job that comes their way they pick and choose but they aren’t afraid to work outside of comfort zones. The goal for me and my buddy is if I take this job to grow with his company and become a GC/project manager and to eventually run a few crews to knock out projects as long as there is no sacrifice in the quality of our work. The guy I’m with now is content with his 2 man operation (me and him) and has no desire to give me a raise, benefits, he doesn’t want to grow or make more money. I’m not saying growing is everything but ultimately I want a stable career and better pay. Pay that will help my family grow. I guess I’m just afraid to make the leap and afraid to fail. I posted here not for confirmation in my choice but to honestly just see different sides of this and hear different opinions from guys who have been doing this a while. My current boss says he will be around for about 3-5 more years. I’ve stuck with him for 3 years not because of the pay but for the knowledge up until this point I’ve been treating it as an apprenticeship.
Based upon what you just posted, it's kinda' hard seeing you sticking with your current gig, as it seems your only reluctance that you've enumerated is you're afraid to fail and that seems to be the only reason NOT to take the next gig... but you listed other reasons for not staying at your current gig... your posts seem to have you leaning heavily towards the new gig, but it all comes with risk... Stay with the current gig, and it's the same pay, short term outlook, harder to make a long-term career, etc. - go with the new gig, you grow in your career, get paid more, etc.

It's why I suggested the T-Bar... it sounds most definitely like it's going to reinforce your underlying feeling that's coming through your question and posts, not only through you asking the question, but your posts that you're ready to move on... they both come with varying degrees of risk...

But... You can't have it both ways...

One question you can ask yourself to add a little clarity is... what's better for my family (and if you don't have one, my future family)?...

FYI... you're going to be making a LOT more decisions in your new role should you choose to take it, so it would benefit you to start learning how to cut to the chase, make a decision, and commit to it...

After 3 years, if you leave the right way, you should have no problem going back if needed...

Best of luck... 8^)

Last edited by KAP; 08-16-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Craftsman
Rewards Points: 3,914

Take the new job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sunkist (08-18-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 1,846

I agree, take the new job. Don't burn the bridge behind you and worst case, there are always companies looking to hire good guys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJ Contractor For This Useful Post:
rselectric1 (08-16-2019), sunkist (08-18-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,878

I'm not saying you owe your current employer your life,however you say he taught you a bunch of stuff. So strictly an example,when he paid you $ 10 an hour,you were probably worth 6 . When he paid you 15,you may have been worth 9. See were this is going. Now that he taught you,you want to jump ship. Don't know his age,however,if he is close to retiring,you may be able to step into his shoes ??

If you feel he can teach you more,I'd stay. I've seen many a young buck jump ship thinking they were ready when in reality,they went off half cocked. Not trying to put you down or anything like that,however,the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. This older guy may have a better,long standing reputation,when the dip comes (and they always do ) he may keep you busy. The 28 year old may fold like a house of cards.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (08-18-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,852

First 5 years, go for the experience, after that, go for the money.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-16-2019), CynLei (09-04-2019), Metro M & L (08-18-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (08-17-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,954

Quote:
The guy Iím with now is content with his 2 man operation (me and him) and has no desire to give me a raise, benefits, he doesnít want to grow or make more money.

Iím not saying growing is everything but ultimately I want a stable career and better pay

It doesnít sound like youíll find what you need where youíre at.

A small operation like his probably isnít worth a lot to take over in 3 to 5 years anyway. Worn out trucks and worn out tools are easy to find.

If the business isnít making enough to pay good help, you donít want it.

Leave on good terms. Now, When you have a lot less to risk, like a family, house, children, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Home improvement of all types
Rewards Points: 2,738

A faint heart never won a fair maiden

Nothing ventured nothing gained

In other words do what you think is necessary to advance your career

If it doesnít work out , donít be discouraged, and learn from what mistakes you made and keep on trying.

You will regret more the chances you donít take than the ones you do .

A try and a fail is much more valuable than playing it safe and not gaining anything but security ( which is never guaranteed)

If you feel that you owe your current employer any loyalty, tell him about your offer and give him a chance to counter.

You owe yourself and your dependants before anyone else
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Idothat For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (08-16-2019), CynLei (09-04-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,850

Does the new guy have other employees or is this is first big hire?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:49 PM   #17
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 21,244

Comfort zones can be a person's worst enemy. Can keep you from reaching your potential.

Mike.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #18

Trade: GC aka adult baby sitter
Rewards Points: 114

Quote:
Both guys sort of take on anything they can get there hands on, not every single job that comes their way they pick and choose but they arenít afraid to work outside of comfort zones. The goal for me and my buddy is if I take this job to grow with his company and become a GC/project manager and to eventually run a few crews to knock out projects as long as there is no sacrifice in the quality of our work. The guy Iím with now is content with his 2 man operation (me and him) and has no desire to give me a raise, benefits, he doesnít want to grow or make more money. Iím not saying growing is everything but ultimately I want a stable career and better pay. Pay that will help my family grow. I guess Iím just afraid to make the leap and afraid to fail. I posted here not for confirmation in my choice but to honestly just see different sides of this and hear different opinions from guys who have been doing this a while. My current boss says he will be around for about 3-5 more years. Iíve stuck with him for 3 years not because of the pay but for the knowledge up until this point Iíve been treating it as an apprenticeship.
Unless he plans on leaving you the company, I would take the job. No way I would stay with someone who's content and planning on hanging it up in 3 to 5. Keep in mind, skilled craftsmen are a dying breed. Always find work if your one of the good ones.

As far as the new endeavor, growing can be done in several ways. I doubled the size of my company and made less money with more headache. Now, I stay with 4-5 and focus on doing high end work for clients I choose. At this point most of my jobs I'm the only one bidding. I've been double the other bid and still gotten the job because of our work and referrals.

Best advice, get great subs and treat them well. Everyone on your jobs is a reflection of you. You and your buddy seem to have the same mindset and I wouldn't think twice about leaving. I disagree with FJN, your are paid to do a service nothing more. If you were worth more you should have been paid more.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #19
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastjoe View Post
Quote:
Unless he plans on leaving you the company, I would take the job. No way I would stay with someone who's content and planning on hanging it up in 3 to 5. Keep in mind, skilled craftsmen are a dying breed. Always find work if your one of the good ones.

As far as the new endeavor, growing can be done in several ways. I doubled the size of my company and made less money with more headache. Now, I stay with 4-5 and focus on doing high end work for clients I choose. At this point most of my jobs I'm the only one bidding. I've been double the other bid and still gotten the job because of our work and referrals.

Best advice, get great subs and treat them well. Everyone on your jobs is a reflection of you. You and your buddy seem to have the same mindset and I wouldn't think twice about leaving. I disagree with FJN, your are paid to do a service nothing more. If you were worth more you should have been paid more.
Thank you for your wisdom and advice it’s much appreciated and really spoke to me. Also thank you to everybody else who chimed in on this post. I took all advice into consideration even the guy who told me to stay. I made a T chart also weighing the pros and cons of each job and there is no reason for me to not take the new job and step into a bigger pair of shoes. I met with my buddy today and discussed all the work we have coming up and saw all the projects he has on his bulletin board and we are booked solid for the next year easily. I am going to take the job.

Again thank you to everybody who replied I really needed to hear some unbiased opinions and advice from guys who have done this for a while. I really took everything into consideration and am grateful that a forum like this exists. I’ll let you guys know how everything works out and I’m sure I’ll be posting a lot more!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tyfattori For This Useful Post:
fjn (08-17-2019), Mordekyle (08-17-2019), TxElectrician (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 744

My advise for all Benny's and a 401k and do not work for cash make sure you pay into your S/S keep up with the IRS.

Guys that can do the job will always find a job.

Advertisement