Looking For Actual Quiet Rock Installations. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Looking For Actual Quiet Rock Installations.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Looking For Actual Quiet Rock Installations.

As an acoustical consultant, I am frequently asked about the product called Quiet Rock. I have downloaded the Laboratory Test Reports from the company's web site but the test results appear WAY too good to be true. Thus, I am looking for an actual installation of Quiet Rock in the Southern California area that I could arrange to test. A new party wall with only Quiet Rock on both sides between two condos or apartments would be best. A retrofit installation would be OK but I would need to know the exact existing construction of the original wall as well as the details of the retrofit. As we all know, the test wall used in the lab was perfect. However, the same wall in the field is full of plumbing, electrical and mechanical installations that cause the true sound rating to be less than for the lab test wall.

Myth Buster: Insulation is good sound proofing.

Actually, conventional insulation materials are poor sound barriers. Far more sound reduction between rooms is produced by airtight diaphrams of heavy mass physically separated (such as in a double stud wall with double drywall). Covering walls and ceilings of a room with acoustically absorptive materials will reduce the reverberation time inside the treated room making the room appear to be quieter. However, such materials will have little to no effect on the transfer of noise through the wall to which the material is applied.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Looking For Actual Quiet Rock Installations.

http://www.contractortalk.com/showth...ght=quiet+rock

http://www.contractortalk.com/search...archid=1215698

Advertisement

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE