Long Notched Joists Proper Way To Distet - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Long Notched Joists Proper Way To Distet

Old 08-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #1

Trade: Flipping/rentals
Rewards Points: 12

Long Notched Joists Proper Way To Distet

This house Iím working on (itís a flip) has two notched joists from the fluorescents lights the previous owner put in 40 years ago. They had a dropped ceiling.
There is no issue with floors or anything but obviously it will come up in a buyers inspection. What would you do to sister it? Go full 14í leangthe or just 3í beyond the notch. (Itíll be easier for me).
Attached Thumbnails
Long notched joists proper way to distet-085cb3c0-6ee0-470c-af8a-5b0dd0d67376.jpeg   Long notched joists proper way to distet-332ad577-af8b-4952-b425-44fd4c2a1b72.jpeg   Long notched joists proper way to distet-c3af640b-2f38-4d3b-8f87-b06b500ab9fc.jpeg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 142

Re: Long Notched Joists Proper Way To Distet

Well, it's all about what's easiest for you, what's quick, and above all, what's cheap.

So just scab a short piece of wood up there, any ol' piece of scrap, a couple 8d nails, (not too many, they cost money), cover that $#!T up, and move along.

Advertisement

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Old 08-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Well, it's all about what's easiest for you, what's quick, and above all, what's cheap.

So just scab a short piece of wood up there, any ol' piece of scrap, a couple 8d nails, (not too many, they cost money), cover that $#!T up, and move along.
I think tape would be easier/cheaper after all he is a flipper
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (08-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

Trade: Flipping/rentals
Rewards Points: 12

Can't edit that topic header should say "sister the joist" Uncalled comment about the tape; afterall they don't make tape strong enough and thick enough. I wouldn't have posted this question if I didn't care to look into getting it done right, whether I did it or someone else. I don't flip per say, but take a neglected house and turn it into a home for someone and when I do....it's something I'm proud of and would have no worries of anyone living there. I don't find a spliced wire in the wall or hidden junctions and say "ahh nobody will every know" I say, this needs to be done right"

So back to the joist, I thought of running the full length one with it but no i-beam space for it to rest unless I added another support post. But I would assume just going 3' ft. over each way should suffice. bolting then some nails (the real EXPENSIVE kind of nails because afterall its a flip and all I care is about making the most money {sarcasm})

Last edited by Professorkev; 08-24-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,026

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
concretemasonry (08-28-2019), dayexco (08-24-2019), rselectric1 (08-24-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (08-24-2019)