Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum (https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.contractortalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Lil' Dude can cruise now (https://www.contractortalk.com/f11/lil-dude-can-cruise-now-47375/)

BuiltByMAC 10-31-2008 10:18 PM

Lil' Dude can cruise now
 
Just finished up a wheelchair ramp for a lil' dude who can't walk - at least now he can cruise up to the house instead of being thumped up the steps...


Our local HBA started a project this year - 5 ramps built by 5 builders over one weekend. Called it a http://www.builtbymac.com/images/dec...5/rat_logo.jpg
Folks were chosen by a local humanitarian agency based on an application. My boy and I built one for a guy who'd had a leg removed by a forklift - he's 35.
The fifth builder flaked so they asked me if I'd build this one too. Lil' guy, 11, has MD. They've been needing help for a while.
I had 2 other builders show up and help, and a couple of volunteers.
I started at 7:15, the rest came at 9, we had a finished ramp by noon.
This thing went together quick and solid.
http://www.builtbymac.com/images/dec...5/82501-02.jpg
http://www.builtbymac.com/images/dec...5/82502-02.jpg
http://www.builtbymac.com/images/dec...5/82503-02.jpg


Used this Skid-Guard plywood and now they've got a much easier access for him.

Tired and trying to relax a little tonight, doorbell keeps ringing... Some damned funny-lookin' kids out tonight!

I tell ya, people around us are hurtin' - it don't take long to find someone who could use a hand up. It's nice to be effective...instead of saying, "oh, those unfortunate people," it's like... f*^k it, I'll just build 'em a ramp.

Mac

curapa 10-31-2008 10:21 PM

That's awesome.:thumbup:

Kent Whitten 10-31-2008 10:21 PM

That's a good thing you did Mac. I'm proud of you. Thank you.

MALCO.New.York 10-31-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC (Post 524715)
It's nice to be effective..........it's like... f*^k it, I'll just build 'em a ramp.

Mac

That is the ONLY way to conduct your life concerning others!!!

Good work MAC!

Cole 10-31-2008 10:25 PM

Mac,
I wish we had more people in the world like you! I think that is a great idea and might try and get something started similar here in Dallas.

neolitic 10-31-2008 10:26 PM

Thanks Mac. :notworthy

Bodger 10-31-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC (Post 524715)
Just finished up a wheelchair ramp for a lil' dude who can't walk - at least now he can cruise up to the house instead of being thumped up the steps...


Our local HBA started a project this year - 5 ramps built by 5 builders over one weekend. Called it a http://www.builtbymac.com/images/dec...5/rat_logo.jpg
Folks were chosen by a local humanitarian agency based on an application. My boy and I built one for a guy who'd had a leg removed by a forklift - he's 35.
The fifth builder flaked so they asked me if I'd build this one too. Lil' guy, 11, has MD. They've been needing help for a while.
I had 2 other builders show up and help, and a couple of volunteers.
I started at 7:15, the rest came at 9, we had a finished ramp by noon.
This thing went together quick and solid.
http://www.builtbymac.com/images/dec...5/82501-01.jpg
http://www.builtbymac.com/images/dec...5/82502-01.jpg
http://www.builtbymac.com/images/dec...5/82503-01.jpg
Used this Skid-Guard plywood and now they've got a much easier access for him.

Tired and trying to relax a little tonight, doorbell keeps ringing... Some damned funny-lookin' kids out tonight!

I tell ya, people around us are hurtin' - it don't take long to find someone who could use a hand up. It's nice to be effective...instead of saying, "oh, those unfortunate people," it's like... f*^k it, I'll just build 'em a ramp.

Mac

Well Done!!

BuiltByMAC 10-31-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole (Post 524722)
I think that is a great idea and might try and get something started similar here in Dallas.

Guys, this can be done where you are. We had four meetings, we had a committee of 8-10 people, set it up over 8 months, got lumberyards to donate (or reduce their price on) all the material...
5 families now have access they didn't before.

Doesn't matter if it's going on a trailer or house, they all get my best. This was not treated as a throwaway project, this was important to me to finish as tight and solid as everything else I build. Electric wheelchairs are not light, sometimes the folks aren't either! No sense in committing to do the project, then just bangin' sh*t together!

I would be more than happy to talk with anyone here about setting up something like this where you're at. If you belong to an HBA, it would be an easy enough project to implement - you've already got the contacts.

I couldn't leave my home and my business to help w/ people who've had huge, nature-type tragedy happen to them...this I can do.

Mac

MALCO.New.York 10-31-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC (Post 524738)
Guys, this can be done where you are. We had four meetings, we had a committee of 8-10 people, set it up over 8 months, got lumberyards to donate (or reduce their price on) all the material...
5 families now have access they didn't before.

Doesn't matter if it's going on a trailer or house, they all get my best. This was not treated as a throwaway project, this was important to me to finish as tight and solid as everything else I build. Electric wheelchairs are not light, sometimes the folks aren't either! No sense in committing to do the project, then just bangin' sh*t together!

I would be more than happy to talk with anyone here about setting up something like this where you're at. If you belong to an HBA, it would be an easy enough project to implement - you've already got the contacts.

I couldn't leave my home and my business to help w/ people who've had huge, nature-type tragedy happen to them...this I can do.

Mac


This IS how Habitat got started!!!!:notworthy

Cole 10-31-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC (Post 524738)
Guys, this can be done where you are. We had four meetings, we had a committee of 8-10 people, set it up over 8 months, got lumberyards to donate (or reduce their price on) all the material...
5 families now have access they didn't before.

Doesn't matter if it's going on a trailer or house, they all get my best. This was not treated as a throwaway project, this was important to me to finish as tight and solid as everything else I build. Electric wheelchairs are not light, sometimes the folks aren't either! No sense in committing to do the project, then just bangin' sh*t together!

I would be more than happy to talk with anyone here about setting up something like this where you're at. If you belong to an HBA, it would be an easy enough project to implement - you've already got the contacts.

I couldn't leave my home and my business to help w/ people who've had huge, nature-type tragedy happen to them...this I can do.

Mac

I am going to take you up on that offer, I would love to set something like this up. Once again, well done on the project.

genecarp 10-31-2008 11:29 PM

GREAT job Mac, in every regard.

dkillianjr 11-01-2008 12:08 AM

Looks nice as usual mac!:thumbup: And for a good cause too! :thumbup:

Dave

wallmaxx 11-01-2008 12:38 AM

Way to go Mac. Class act.

I am inspired to follow your lead.

Mike

Joasis 11-01-2008 03:49 AM

Acts of Kindness....have rewards beyond money. Nothing is more satisfying to me then missionary work. I commend you for the beautiful job and lending a hand. We do this is my little town....a person in need only has to let someone know and we take care of it.

rbsremodeling 11-01-2008 07:23 AM

As everyone else has said good job, good deed. Good man

threaderman 11-01-2008 07:37 AM

Good job Mac-my company also donates by using my time and vehicle to deliver meals on wheels a couple of hours each week,volunteering for the aging services.I have at least 100 hrs in the past year.
I'm not trying to step on your thread,rather just pointing out even more ways to help people!Keep up the good work,God bless!

dayspring 11-01-2008 07:39 AM

As usual Mac, beautiful work. My hats off to ya for your compassion towards your fellow man.

tgeb 11-01-2008 07:40 AM

Nice job Mac! :thumbsup:

I hope you got to see the kid use the ramp for the first time, that alone would be worth the effort.

Fence & Deck 11-01-2008 08:48 AM

Impressive work for a good cause.
Tell me: what slope are you allowed to have. Here in Toronto we have to have a fall of 1" in 12". I've quoted sevral wheelchair ramps in the last few onths, but they've all backed out when they find out how long it has to be.
We had one person whose door was 5 feet above grade, which would have required a 60' long ramp.
Believe it or not, the municipality turned down the permit.

SethHoldren 11-01-2008 08:58 AM

This is one of the best ideas I've heard of in a long time. Awesome work, man!

It's specific, it's attainable, and it helps people more than almost anything else a guy could think to do.

Less red tape, more action. You da man, MAC. :notworthy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.