Late Payment Due To Death In Family? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Late Payment Due To Death In Family?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 1,136

Late Payment Due To Death In Family?

What do you say to someone who owes you money that you could use who said they will mail the check next week now instead of this week, because they have a death in the family?

I'd like to say "Im sorry for you loss. That being said I still need the money as promised on time."

Any suggestions?
http://www.concretecountertopsdesign.com/

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,278

Re: Late Payment Due To Death In Family?

Is one week a problem? Is there a due date in your contract?

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,816

Suck it up and give them a week is what I would do.

Easier said then done when you need the money though...

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (04-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
Pro

Yes, another week is a problem. I've had a slow late winter due to record days of low temps, and record lows all in a row. It was a horrible winter for masonry.

My contract, that he signed, said payment due upon completion. That was a month ago. The HO wanted me to touch some things up, then I'd get the remainder of the money 'right away', GC's words.

I touched things up, HO was happy, was supposed to get my money, now its another week. Im just wondering what the excuse will be next week. I have bills to pay. Does business just shut down due to a death in the family? As much as I feel for him, I still have a life to live, and food to put on the table.

Am I being difficult here?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 5,700

Happened when we started. Had to loan the company money for a month waiting.

Personally it was a class issue. The particular client would never pay late withlut that situation. Mercifully they sent a check before we called.

It does suck when you need the money.

Personal choice. I dont have any imput.

John
Old 04-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 5,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringmason View Post
Yes, another week is a problem. I've had a slow late winter due to record days of low temps, and record lows all in a row. It was a horrible winter for masonry.

My contract, that he signed, said payment due upon completion. That was a month ago. The HO wanted me to touch some things up, then I'd get the remainder of the money 'right away', GC's words.

I touched things up, HO was happy, was supposed to get my money, now its another week. Im just wondering what the excuse will be next week. I have bills to pay. Does business just shut down due to a death in the family? As much as I feel for him, I still have a life to live, and food to put on the table.

I understand, completely. Id give them a call.

John
Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,278

You need to change your contract and specify the number of days after completion payment is due. That could be part of the reason they're not paying, playing word games with your contract. But I think what you said is a reasonable thing to ask. It reminds me of a time my plumber delayed my message because they found out someone died. But come to find out he was just as irresponsible for the remainder of the job I had him on, never using him again.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,788

Went through it last year,the client died on an insurance job no less. I needed the money too did the whole job out of pocket and waited months for money.

Had to go through an estate where all money was tied up and needed legal approval for the next of kin to approve all kinds of stuff.

I waited, expressed sympathy went to the wake, did other work for family. Im sure it was a classy move. They recommend me all of the time.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,424

Quote:

No youre not being difficult. They said you werent done because there was touch up. Then they were supposed to pay. Then they had to come up with another excuse.

If theryre paying a mason thousands for brick work, they can put a plane ticket on a visa. Do you believe they would give a crap if you had a death in your family and didnt show up for six weeks holding their CO on a new construction home?

Call their bluff. They may be stringing you along to get past the lien dead line.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (04-10-2014), painterman (04-11-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,581

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringmason
Yes, another week is a problem. I've had a slow late winter due to record days of low temps, and record lows all in a row. It was a horrible winter for masonry. My contract, that he signed, said payment due upon completion. That was a month ago. The HO wanted me to touch some things up, then I'd get the remainder of the money 'right away', GC's words. I touched things up, HO was happy, was supposed to get my money, now its another week. Im just wondering what the excuse will be next week. I have bills to pay. Does business just shut down due to a death in the family? As much as I feel for him, I still have a life to live, and food to put on the table. Am I being difficult here?
When customers blow our due dates we call everyday, usually twice a day. How long does it take to write a check? I'd pester them to death
The Following User Says Thank You to WBailey1041 For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
Head Light Bulb Changer

Trade: Renovation/Home Repair
Rewards Points: 216

So who 'died'? Was it a mother or father? If so, I'd give them a few days for compassionate reasons. If it was a cousin/uncle/neighbor/friend I would call BS and be very demanding for my payment. Sorry for your loss, but I gotta eat. If your car is out of gas, do you tell the attendant you'll pay him next week because your cat died?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,144

Sorry but they are a month past due and now have a death as an excuse. I'm not sure why a death in the family keeps one from opening the checkbook and writing a check, sticking into a envelope and mailing it to you. If it is a close relative, they are having no issue writing checks to the funeral home.

Let them know that while you understand their situation is difficult you cannot pay your bills because you are still waiting on their payment.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
6stringmason (04-11-2014), dkillianjr (04-11-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Architectural historian
Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Sorry but they are a month past due and now have a death as an excuse. I'm not sure why a death in the family keeps one from opening the checkbook and writing a check, sticking into a envelope and mailing it to you. If it is a close relative, they are having no issue writing checks to the funeral home.

Let them know that while you understand their situation is difficult you cannot pay your bills because you are still waiting on their payment.
That was my thought, too.

Do you think they're still paying their utility bills and grocery bills? I'd imagine that they are.

Why is it that the smallest businesses on the tightest budgets are the budget items that homeowners "put off" paying FIRST?

Because they can.

IMHO, of course.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosethornva For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (04-11-2014), Jaws (04-11-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 898

Gut feeling only here. They are preparing to string you along for quite awhile with excuse after excuse after excuse.

Give them one complimentary week and then get ruthless.

This is a standard excuse for not paying up when they promised, unless of course the customer also has to embalm the dead relative personally.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: renovation carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,986

I Think that you might be able to confirm the death, it should be public record.
See if they are lying or not.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Journeyman Carpenter
Rewards Points: 249

Quote:

No your not being difficult. I would call them tomorrow and tell him you need the money NOW, not in two weeks. Tell him you will stop by and personally pick up the check, so there is no reason to mail it. Call him out on it now, because in 2 weeks when the check doesn't come your back to square one. Take it to the end game now, if they wont pay you now what makes you think they will pay you in 2 weeks? It only takes 15 seconds to write a check. A death in the family is just an excuse to put you off. No offense but if someone is dead they aren't going anywhere but in the meantime the living need to put food on their table. Frankly I would be offended that someone would use an excuse like that to not pay a man what is owed to him. No offense brother but he played on your compassion and you fell for it hook line and sinker. There is a time for diplomacy and a time for action, diplomacy is dead...

Last edited by Stoneyard; 04-11-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:55 AM   #17
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 19,962

Tell them there will be another death in the family if you don't get your money.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (04-11-2014), 6stringmason (04-11-2014), 98crewcab (04-15-2014), BCConstruction (04-11-2014), bigz (04-15-2014), CarpenterSFO (04-12-2014), ChimneyHill (04-12-2014), CompleteW&D (04-11-2014), dkillianjr (04-11-2014), NCMCarpentry (04-11-2014), pfrey71 (04-12-2014), rosethornva (04-11-2014), rselectric1 (04-11-2014), rustyjames (04-11-2014), Splinter (04-11-2014), TNTRenovate (04-11-2014), Uncle-chicken (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #18
Pro

Well it seems my gut feeling was right. I will call him today. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #19
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 792

This type thing is why we keep emergency reserve money in savings. Sometimes cash flow becomes an issue, regardless of whether it's a death in the family, or I for some unforeseen reason can't get the jobs to 100% completion. Nothing ruins excellent credit faster than being slow pay to my creditors. I hate taking that money out of savings, but I hate more not being able to pick up the phone & say send me 1000 ft of flooring & know it's on it's way.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #20
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
This type thing is why we keep emergency reserve money in savings. Sometimes cash flow becomes an issue, regardless of whether it's a death in the family, or I for some unforeseen reason can't get the jobs to 100% completion. Nothing ruins excellent credit faster than being slow pay to my creditors. I hate taking that money out of savings, but I hate more not being able to pick up the phone & say send me 1000 ft of flooring & know it's on it's way.
Its just hard gettin to the point of having a cash reserve.

Advertisement

Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.