Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Jobsite rules

31K views 80 replies 34 participants last post by  WisePainter 
#1 ·
Here are some of mine, post what you guys use, some people think I am a dick.

I think I probably left some out.

There will be no smoking permitted on the jobsite.
No radios will be permitted on the jobsite; this includes head phones, I Pod’s and MP3 players.
This includes not only the building, but the entire property.
Do not throw cigarette butts on the sidewalk, or anywhere else, dispose of them properly.
Anyone caught violating this policy will be charged a $35 fee per occurrence, payable to the general contractor.
All subcontractors shall clean up their own mess daily, if this is not done, the General Contractor will have it done and charge the subcontractor for this.
There will be a dumpster on site at all times during construction all trash generated by subcontractors or their employees is to be put here, site to be broom cleaned daily.
No food or drink is allowed in the building.
No Alcohol or illegal drugs allowed on property, anyone caught with alcohol or illegal drugs on the property will be asked to leave; any illegal drug use will be reported to local law enforcement.
Long pants and shirts with sleeves are required, pants must fit, and if necessary be held up with a belt, shirts must be tucked in, anyone not dressed appropriately will be sent home, no baggy pants, I do not want to see your underwear.
Hard hats are to be worn on the jobsite, if you cannot properly wear one because your hair is too big, either get a haircut or do not come onto the jobsite.
Boots are to be worn on the jobsite, no tennis shoes, open toed shoes or sandals allowed.
No animals on the jobsite, Do Not bring your dog or other animals to my jobsite.

See less See more
#14 ·
Wow Hitler....

I will not work without music.

No.
This is a commercial jobsite, I was told 25 years ago that OSHA does not allow radios on coomercial jobsites.

I will look up the OSHA regulation pertaining to radios on jobsites.

I used to allow them, but they always become an issue, one guy would continually turn the radio up even after I turned it down because it my clients could hear it.

I provide water on the jobsite as required by OSHA, the reason I don't allow food and drinks in the building is because people leave their half eaten sandwiches and half finished drinks all over the place.

If someone has water in the building I could care less, I will ad that wording.

#17 ·
Good luck with that.
It will come out of the draw if not paid by the violator.

The $35 fee is not what is important, the penalty clause is what puts the teeth into the rules, otherwise they would violate them.

When we had the asbestos abatement done, the 1st thing the subs asked was where they could smoke and they never smoke where they weren't allowed.

The employees that work for the sub are not the ones who signed it, the addendum was signed by their boss and he made them aware of it.

#4 · (Edited)

No radios will be permitted on the jobsite; this includes head phones, I Pod’s and MP3 players.
Do not throw cigarette butts on the sidewalk, or anywhere else, dispose of them properly.
Anyone caught violating this policy will be charged a $35 fee per occurrence, payable to the general contractor.
All subcontractors shall clean up their own mess daily, if this is not done, the General Contractor will have it done and charge the subcontractor for this.
There will be a dumpster on site at all times during construction all trash generated by subcontractors or their employees is to be put here, site to be broom cleaned daily.
No Alcohol or illegal drugs allowed on property, anyone caught with alcohol or illegal drugs on the property will be asked to leave; any illegal drug use will be reported to local law enforcement.
Long pants and shirts with sleeves are required, pants must fit, and if necessary be held up with a belt, shirts must be tucked in, anyone not dressed appropriately will be sent home, no baggy pants, I do not want to see your underwear.
Hard hats are to be worn on the jobsite, if you cannot properly wear one because your hair is too big, either get a haircut or do not come onto the jobsite.
Boots are to be worn on the jobsite, no tennis shoes, open toed shoes or sandals allowed.
No animals on the jobsite, Do Not bring your dog or other animals to my jobsite.

Must be pretty brutal attrition rates
during those Florida summers.

#6 ·
No radio?
I was tought that the job radio was the most importand tool on the job.
I have no problems with a radio as long as it is kept at a reasonable volume. Also my guys listen to the Sirius love song station so nothing heavy and no foul language.

#10 ·
I have 2 forms subs must sign! here is one

1. The introduction, possession, or use of intoxicating beverages or narcotics on the job site is prohibited.

2. Subcontractor is responsible for ensuring the competent personnel is operating his trucks and equipment

3. Employees may park personnel vehicles only in areas designated by D.A.S.

4. Reckless driving on the site and other acts of indifference and disregard of safety rules will not be tolerated.

5. Stealing, embezzlement, dishonesty, falsification of records, including but not limited to employment applications or other willful misrepresentation of facts will not be permitted.

6. Approved hard hats and safety glasses shall be worn on all job sites when required.

7. Employees shall wear shirts and proper footwear on all job sites.

8. Safety harnesses shall be worn and secured for elevated work where no protection is available to prevent the worker from falling. Subcontractors are responsible for fall protection for his employees.

9. All climbing devices shall be checked before usage. A straight ladder shall be secured at the top. A second employee shall secure the ladder at the base. Safety Railings are required.

10. All unsafe working conditions shall be reported to D.A.S immediately.

11. Tools shall be used only for the purpose for which they are designed. Hoses and cords will not be permitted to pass through windows.

12. Defective tools or equipment shall be taken out of service immediately and repaired.

13. Employees are expected to apply common sense in carrying out the duties of his jog. Horseplay shall not be tolerated. Personal issues or fighting between sub-contractors or employees is prohibited.

#11 ·

New construction or remodeling?

#12 ·
and 2.

1. Treat customer’s property BETTER than your own.

2. Always leave customer’s property (house, lawn, and job-site) in better condition that you found it.

3. Smoking is STRICLY PROHIBITED on customer’s property at all times (indoors and outdoors). Smoking at lunch or during breaks must be confined to inside your car or designated areas. Under no circumstances shall smoking debris (butts) be discarded on the ground. Take them with you!

4. Bathroom privileges shall be respected and not abused, and the facilities shall be left as clean as, or cleaner than found.

5. Finished floors in living areas or paths of access/egress shall be covered for protection; booties should be worn as well.

6. Job site shall be left broom-clean at the end of each work day. Debris shall be cleaned up and excess debris removed from site or places in proper disposal containers. All trades are responsible for the removal of their OWN debris daily.

7. At the conclusion of each business day, tools shall be disconnected, places in a designated area, and the customer notified accordingly. Every precaution shall be made to prevent customer’s children and pets from accessing tools or dangerous items.

8. Profanity and offensive clothing is STRICLY PROHIBITED on customer’s property.

9. Service entrances shall be used whenever possible. Front doors and formal rooms shall be avoided whenever possible.

10. Food debris and wrappers from beaks and lunch shall be immediately placed in appropriate containers.

11. Job-sites shall be left secured at the end of each work day. D.A.S. will open and secure site everyday.

12. Dogs are strictly prohibited from job-site.

I understand the codes of conduct and that working safely is a condition of employment at D.A.S. Associates, LTD.

Applicant Signature: Date:

#19 ·
I wrote this in 1982.
And yes, the first one actually happened. One of our crews was composed of a man and woman, and, well,..... they got excited one day. I got a frantic phone call from the homeowner whose 12 year old son was watching from his bedroom window!

Installation Tips & Tricks For Installers
1] Never Pee or have sex in someone’s backyard, even if they can’t see you.
2] Don’t antagonize the family pet.
3] Don’t leave food, wrappers, coffee cups, dropped nails, or cigarette butts all over.
4] Tidy up all your scrap(personal AND materials) at the end of EVERY day.
5] When boarding a fence, try to hide the worst boards at the back or on the outside. If there's too many, or too bad, don't use them.
6] NEVER, EVER PUT BAD BOARDS ON THE GATE. It's the first thing they see.
7] Always be polite, courteous, & friendly.
8] Never swear at a customer unless they really, really, reallydeserve it.
9]Try to avoid making a lot of scrap. If you need a 2’ piece of 2x4, don’t cut it out of a full piece if there is a 3’ piece lying around.
10] Build what the homeowner purchased. Don’t change things without specific approval just becuase you think it's better (or easier).
11] Don’t try to talk them into something just because it is easier to build.
12] Don’t mix concrete on the driveway, patio, or the deck.
13] Don’t park your truck on the driveway if it leaks oil or water.
14] Regardless of circumstance, try to use common sense.
15] Sometimes you have to swallow your pride just to do it. Some homeowners are idiots!
16] Stick to the job and get it finished properly. Repeated delays only antagonize a customer.
17] Don’t leave little things undone. We don’t want to have to go collect a cheque only to be denied one because there’s a nail missing.
18] Absolutely NO alcohol or Drugs on site19] DO NOT use the homeowner's pool without express permission. Do not even ask.
20] Do not ask for food. Water is fine, but bring your your own food.

Remember: the homeowner is spending his own money on the project, and is entitled to your best effort. Do your work with pride!

#20 ·
I wrote the first one in 1982. I wrote this one more recently. I have a new version coming soon. Criticism is welcome.

Feb 2006

Installer Guidelines​
Shop

-Do not hang around the Shop all day. It is not a social club. -Please: NO SMOKING INSIDE SHOP, regardless of weather
-No BOOZE OR DRUGS anytime in the shop or the yard
- If You use our tools, Put them back
-Clean up sawdust and scrap after you are finished

DO NOT:
-Talk back to the customer
-suggest easier ways of doing things that the customer might think is cheaper.
-Use bad language
-Badmouth the sales person, the scheduler, the company or anything else.
-Don’t whine and complain to the customer about anything except the weather.
-tell them you are a subcontractor.
-Leave unused material, scrap, garbage, cigarette butts, strewn around

DO NOT
-DO any work on the side, or use our material for your own job
-Our rule is as follows: if a potential customer sees you on our site, or in one of our trucks with our name on it, or if you approach someone in the immediate area where you are working on our job, then it is our customer. You are free to solicit your own customers anywhere else.
DO NOT
-Argue with the customer, unless they are totally unreasonable.
-Walk off a job. Just do it and we’ll straighten out the money later.
-Expect a delivery of two boards and a screw.
-If you’re short material, just deal with it: go to the nearest RONA, Home Depot, hardware store, or otherwise and get what you need. Call us if you need to have us pay by card for it.
DO NOT
-buy ANYTHING without office approval and a purchase order
-Bring alcohol, or drugs to the site.
Do:
-Talk Politely to the customer
-Keep the site clean & neat, especially when you leave at night
-bundle up smaller bits into green garbage bags and leave on site
-Clean up your personal garbage every night
-tidy up all materials, tools, scrap every night
-bring any leftovers back to the shop
-Hand out door hangers
-Get Going. Don’t hang around.
-Get the customer to sign for any extras, or don’t do them
-Call ahead to the customer to arrange start times
-ASK FOR A CHEQUE AND GET THE WARRANTY SIGNED!
-Call the night before you are finished to remind them to have money ready
-Argue with us afterward. Just get the job done, and the customer satisfied.

Administration
1]-If you don’t pick up a cheque, we will have to. That takes time away from selling or scheduling. We will give you a $15.00 bonus for picking it up.
2]-If you hang around till 10AM or if you go for a coffee or breakfast before getting to the job, you are slowing us down and making us look bad to the customer, as well as hurting your own pocket book.
3]-You’re expected to work every day on a job once you’ve started. If you need time off for personal reasons, do it BEFORE you start or AFTER you finish a job.
4]-Call into The Office EVERY DAY before 9AM. When the customer calls at 10AM screaming “where are you”, at least we can tell them what’s happening.
5]-we have a standard price list which will be posted.
6]-You are entitled to know what you are getting paid for a job.
7]-If you want an advance put in a bill. We are not your neighbourhood loan company, so don’t think about borrowing $20.00 for gas every day.
8]-You must sign our employment contract
9]-You must get your Independent Operators status from Worker’s Comp
10]-You may join our medical plan provided you give us 12 post dated cheques
11]-Payday is on Friday. Get your bill in Tuesday morning.
12] -Advances will be considered on Tuesdays only, and only up to ½ the labour on a job. If you need money to buy gas, then you haven’t budgeted right, so don’t look to us. We are not an ATM machine.
13]-Tool Rentals are chargeable.
14]-In the past, we have been generous in helping out with loans for vehicle repairs, rent, tools, etc. We can no longer do that without at the least a promissory note, and a FIRM schedule of payments back.

#42 ·
Because the sidewalks are public property, just covering the bases making sure they don't go to the edge of the property line and throw their butts on the ground.

Florida passed a constitutional ammendment that banned smoking in all workplaces, except a very limited few places, like detached bars.

#55 ·
1) Don't leave piles of nails on window sills or anywhere else.

3) Don't mix up the nails in their bins/containers.

4) Don't litter!

I don't have written rules, but these are big on my list.
One thing that irritates the crap out of me is when a guy will do demo, but leave nails in the casing or in the wall where the base was removed.

Or instead of pulling them out, they will bend them over and hammer them in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.