It's Slowing Down. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

It's Slowing Down.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Lazy Millennial

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 484

It's Slowing Down.

It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride this last 6 months. We had several custom homes lined up and we thought by spring time we would be up to our eyeballs in work. I'd be taking more of a management role and expanding my experience. It would have been long hours and challenging work which is great.

The economy around here has slowed so much and one by one clients backed out citing the uncertainty around any sort of timely recovery. Instead of half a dozen homes we now have none signed to a contract. We have one getting priced out right now but until the clients sign the dotted line, anything can happen. I've seen a "sure thing" turn to "not happening" enough not to be too optimistic.

We're turning over a home next week and for the first time in 14 years my boss doesn't have any work lined up afterword. He's laying off the only other employee soon and keeping me on. We have February to devote to doing service calls and tying up some deficiencies on previous projects but after that I'm not sure. In talking to the boss he mentioned possibly buying and flipping a house but that's only in the realm of possibility and not certain. He didn't seem certain to me anyway.

I've got school scheduled for May and June but that's a ways away yet.

The boss said he would at least give me notice if I had to go looking for another job but didn't want me to worry. Being honest though, I do worry. Been with this company since I was 18. The boss has always been great and a loyal employer but we haven't had a drought like this before. I don't want to leave but if comes to that I'll have find something else.

I'll have to find my résumé file. I don't even think I have it on this hard drive, haven't needed one in years. I'll be keeping an eye on the classifieds. No sense in waiting till I'm out of work THEN trying to get my **** together. Best to be proactive just in case.

Anyway, no particular question. Just want to throw it out there. Recessions suck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Youngin' For This Useful Post:
VinylHanger (01-28-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,124

Re: It's Slowing Down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin' View Post
It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride this last 6 months. We had several custom homes lined up and we thought by spring time we would be up to our eyeballs in work. I'd be taking more of a management role and expanding my experience. It would have been long hours and challenging work which is great.

The economy around here has slowed so much and one by one clients backed out citing the uncertainty around any sort of timely recovery. Instead of half a dozen homes we now have none signed to a contract. We have one getting priced out right now but until the clients sign the dotted line, anything can happen. I've seen a "sure thing" turn to "not happening" enough not to be too optimistic.

We're turning over a home next week and for the first time in 14 years my boss doesn't have any work lined up afterword. He's laying off the only other employee soon and keeping me on. We have February to devote to doing service calls and tying up some deficiencies on previous projects but after that I'm not sure. In talking to the boss he mentioned possibly buying and flipping a house but that's only in the realm of possibility and not certain. He didn't seem certain to me anyway.

I've got school scheduled for May and June but that's a ways away yet.

The boss said he would at least give me notice if I had to go looking for another job but didn't want me to worry. Being honest though, I do worry. Been with this company since I was 18. The boss has always been great and a loyal employer but we haven't had a drought like this before. I don't want to leave but if comes to that I'll have find something else.

I'll have to find my résumé file. I don't even think I have it on this hard drive, haven't needed one in years. I'll be keeping an eye on the classifieds. No sense in waiting till I'm out of work THEN trying to get my **** together. Best to be proactive just in case.

Anyway, no particular question. Just want to throw it out there. Recessions suck.
It will pass

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (01-30-2017), Youngin' (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #3

Trade: Awnings
Rewards Points: 162

Hmm, Could it be that price is an issue? Because I am out here in California and we haven't slowed down at all. Granted I am in the business of tarps, awnings, and patios but when people have money for what I'm selling it is a sure sign things are going good.

Are other companys having a hard time as well? Economy is and has been in recovery and especially the last 2-3 years it is picking up pretty good.

Think it's just a dry phase on sales.....for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
Drywall Slave

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 214

Same thing happened down here in 08.
The Following User Says Thank You to blacktop For This Useful Post:
corbin (01-29-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #5
back doors to hell put in

Rewards Points: 1,350

After the years of ups and downs, when I was young I thought this is great I'm making at least 3 times as much money as anybody I know. I pissed away so much....then at 40 the light bulb moment came I said to myself you know how this is so be smart you're not getting any younger. You're not gonna wanna frame everyday at 60. The hardest part was not spending any money. I stuck to my plan. I waited until house prices were at the peak...and sold. Took the money I made and what I saved and bought a house cash. Smartest move I ever made in my life....that's no BS....I now have no house payment...just taxes and insurance..that's enough. I pay for my vehicles cash....yeah they are used but so what...no payment just insurance. That's enough.

Youngin, you aren't there yet but at some point later in life you'll just get tired of "chasing it" and what I've found is somebody else always ends up with most of it. Screw that. Think of yourself...because no one else gives a damn
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Irishslave For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (01-28-2017), CharlieDelta (01-30-2017), corbin (01-29-2017), Eyeway! (01-28-2017), Jaws (01-27-2017), PRP (01-28-2017), Railman (01-29-2017), SmallTownGuy (01-28-2017), TimelessQuality (03-29-2017), Youngin' (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
Lazy Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificCanvas View Post
Hmm, Could it be that price is an issue? Because I am out here in California and we haven't slowed down at all. Granted I am in the business of tarps, awnings, and patios but when people have money for what I'm selling it is a sure sign things are going good.

Are other companys having a hard time as well? Economy is and has been in recovery and especially the last 2-3 years it is picking up pretty good.

Think it's just a dry phase on sales.....for you.
We are in oil country. Many companies are slow and many of the high volume builders are sitting on unsold homes and not building much any more. Plumbing, HVAC, and electrical are being hit pretty hard. The electricians union recently slashed wages. I have a few friends in the trades that haven't found work in a couple months. It's certainly not just us.

We do high end customs, some customers get hung up on the price, others worry that their own job won't be secure and withdraw their intent to build.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,557

Quote:
Been with this company since I was 18.
Just a thought... Could it be that the boss is slowing down a bit faster than the economy? Not meant to put him down in any way, but it does happen a decade or five into this sort of work.

But yeah, good idea to keep the resume polished regardless of how comfy you happen to be at the moment. Things do change.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
Same thing happened down here in 08.
Boy did it. It didn't affect me till '10...but when it did it was horrible. That was the year I bought my last and final house. That was the ONLY good thing that year. The prices were fire sale low too
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
Lazy Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishslave View Post
After the years of ups and downs, when I was young I thought this is great I'm making at least 3 times as much money as anybody I know. I pissed away so much....then at 40 the light bulb moment came I said to myself you know how this is so be smart you're not getting any younger. You're not gonna wanna frame everyday at 60. The hardest part was not spending any money. I stuck to my plan. I waited until house prices were at the peak...and sold. Took the money I made and what I saved and bought a house cash. Smartest move I ever made in my life....that's no BS....I now have no house payment...just taxes and insurance..that's enough. I pay for my vehicles cash....yeah they are used but so what...no payment just insurance. That's enough.

Youngin, you aren't there yet but at some point later in life you'll just get tired of "chasing it" and what I've found is somebody else always ends up with most of it. Screw that. Think of yourself...because no one else gives a damn
I appreciate that Irish. Chasing the money is all I've doing the past few years. You know when I joined CT it was with the intention of learning and starting my own business. What I read actually made me step back and reevaluate what I was getting myself into.

Right now, I'll be ok for a month. But like I said, I'm putting feelers out. If there's no work, there's no work and I gotta eat. So if it comes to it I say goodbye and find something, anything.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #10
Lazy Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Just a thought... Could it be that the boss is slowing down a bit faster than the economy? Not meant to put him down in any way, but it does happen a decade or five into this sort of work.

But yeah, good idea to keep the resume polished regardless of how comfy you happen to be at the moment. Things do change.
Could be but he's strong on the marketing and business end. He's got a mind for it and so does his wife. It's just the uncertainty with how things are going on locally that gets me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Youngin' For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (01-27-2017), Tinstaafl (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,848

Quote:
We are in oil country. Many companies are slow and many of the high volume builders are sitting on unsold homes and not building much any more. Plumbing, HVAC, and electrical are being hit pretty hard. The electricians union recently slashed wages. I have a few friends in the trades that haven't found work in a couple months. It's certainly not just us.

We do high end customs, some customers get hung up on the price, others worry that their own job won't be secure and withdraw their intent to build.

It's the whole province. The oil slow down is taking a affect down here also. To add to that January is always a slow month for my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #12
Lazy Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Carpenter View Post
It's the whole province. The oil slow down is taking a affect down here also. To add to that January is always a slow month for my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I understand Calgary and area have been hit harder than Edmonton. I hear about whole office towers vacant because of companies going under and others downsizing.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #13

Quote:
I appreciate that Irish. Chasing the money is all I've doing the past few years. You know when I joined CT it was with the intention of learning and starting my own business. What I read actually made me step back and reevaluate what I was getting myself into.

Right now, I'll be ok for a month. But like I said, I'm putting feelers out. If there's no work, there's no work and I gotta eat. So if it comes to it I say goodbye and find something, anything.
I'm just trying to help a young guy out if I can. I never had a son and my daughters don't listen for chit. A couple things I think are helpful to remember

#1 Credit can make you or break you...use it wisely and only when you absolutely have to.

#2 Diversify your skill set...it's always nice to have something else to default to when your main income stream gets screwed for whatever reason

#3 Save every nickel you can...they always say 6 months worth of expenses should be held back....this is next to impossible for most. I've cruised for 3 or 4 with minimal or no work but remember my expenses are low....In the past I've had to borrow money...that sucks cause I gotta pay it back and you can't get ahead like that.

Keep your head up and good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irishslave For This Useful Post:
corbin (01-29-2017), Youngin' (01-27-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 12:10 AM   #14
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 21,010

Maybe low oil prices?
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
sparehair (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #15
Sure, I can do that...

Trade: carpentry/renovations
Rewards Points: 196

Low Oil prices and an extremely low perception of improvements in the Oil Patch.
I am in the same area and work for the last several years has been "spotty" at best.
Lots of Trades people looking around right now with not much to look at.
I have been doing mostly out of town projects and even they are few and far between, partly due to the season, but mostly due to the economic realities out there.
Home owners and investors don't see that things are going to be picking up any time soon.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:49 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Maybe low oil prices?
We run on oil. Oil Prices are down, drilling is down, the machine is slowly grinding to a halt.

Our libtard Provincial Govt. is trying their hardest to tax us into oblivion, plus they hate oil. This scares off oil investment. (they go to the province next door. Their Gov't is truly awesome.) We also have a newly implemented BS tax, err I mean Carbon tax.

I don't know how making my fuel more expensive could possible help the environment. But like I said, they are libtards.

IMO it's gonna be a lean 2 more years.

Barring a dramatic increase in oil prices
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JT Wood For This Useful Post:
Bummie (03-29-2017), Calidecks (01-28-2017), HFC (03-30-2017), tman78 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:54 AM   #17

Trade: home improvements
Rewards Points: 114

I'm not understanding this...
  • -Why are oil prices sinking in CA?
  • -Aren't Oil prices scheduled to increase?
  • -With Trump in office, i was reading that he's going FULL BORE for a CA., Oil production increase?

?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,440

It may be slow right now, but it won't last. I've been there. Luckily it's been a while, but I can remember.

Try to look at it as a positive. There are times we get so far behind, I think people stop calling. I'll go through several years where I've got more than I can handle. Then I'll go through a couple years that are lean. I think and I've heard people say, "I would call "Builderguy" but he is always busy.

Things will probably start to break loose before long. Winter time is tough for people to get in the midset of projects. I know the first warm day, my phone will start ringing. Happens every year.

It's actually kind of nice to reset once in a while.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
sparehair (01-29-2017), Youngin' (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: renovations
Rewards Points: 7,631

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman78 View Post
I'm not understanding this...
  • -Why are oil prices sinking in CA?
  • -Aren't Oil prices scheduled to increase?
  • -With Trump in office, i was reading that he's going FULL BORE for a CA., Oil production increase?

?
Remember a year or two ago when the embargo on some middle eastern oil was lifted?

The Saudi's and such flooded the market with dirt cheap oil.

the companies who work up here can't compete with the price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BucketofSteam For This Useful Post:
JT Wood (01-28-2017), SmallTownGuy (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,828

Maybe it is time to think about doing some part time gigs of your own. Small repairs, etc. Those things always need done, even in bad times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Youngin' (01-28-2017)