It's Slowing Down. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

It's Slowing Down.

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Lazy Millennial
 
Youngin''s Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,786
Rewards Points: 484

It's Slowing Down.


It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride this last 6 months. We had several custom homes lined up and we thought by spring time we would be up to our eyeballs in work. I'd be taking more of a management role and expanding my experience. It would have been long hours and challenging work which is great.

The economy around here has slowed so much and one by one clients backed out citing the uncertainty around any sort of timely recovery. Instead of half a dozen homes we now have none signed to a contract. We have one getting priced out right now but until the clients sign the dotted line, anything can happen. I've seen a "sure thing" turn to "not happening" enough not to be too optimistic.

We're turning over a home next week and for the first time in 14 years my boss doesn't have any work lined up afterword. He's laying off the only other employee soon and keeping me on. We have February to devote to doing service calls and tying up some deficiencies on previous projects but after that I'm not sure. In talking to the boss he mentioned possibly buying and flipping a house but that's only in the realm of possibility and not certain. He didn't seem certain to me anyway.

I've got school scheduled for May and June but that's a ways away yet.

The boss said he would at least give me notice if I had to go looking for another job but didn't want me to worry. Being honest though, I do worry. Been with this company since I was 18. The boss has always been great and a loyal employer but we haven't had a drought like this before. I don't want to leave but if comes to that I'll have find something else.

I'll have to find my résumé file. I don't even think I have it on this hard drive, haven't needed one in years. I'll be keeping an eye on the classifieds. No sense in waiting till I'm out of work THEN trying to get my **** together. Best to be proactive just in case.

Anyway, no particular question. Just want to throw it out there. Recessions suck.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnld View Post
Home Depot... you can glue it, we can help!
Youngin' is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Youngin' For This Useful Post:
VinylHanger (01-28-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 01-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
...
 
FrankSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,907
Rewards Points: 5,124

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin' View Post
It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride this last 6 months. We had several custom homes lined up and we thought by spring time we would be up to our eyeballs in work. I'd be taking more of a management role and expanding my experience. It would have been long hours and challenging work which is great.

The economy around here has slowed so much and one by one clients backed out citing the uncertainty around any sort of timely recovery. Instead of half a dozen homes we now have none signed to a contract. We have one getting priced out right now but until the clients sign the dotted line, anything can happen. I've seen a "sure thing" turn to "not happening" enough not to be too optimistic.

We're turning over a home next week and for the first time in 14 years my boss doesn't have any work lined up afterword. He's laying off the only other employee soon and keeping me on. We have February to devote to doing service calls and tying up some deficiencies on previous projects but after that I'm not sure. In talking to the boss he mentioned possibly buying and flipping a house but that's only in the realm of possibility and not certain. He didn't seem certain to me anyway.

I've got school scheduled for May and June but that's a ways away yet.

The boss said he would at least give me notice if I had to go looking for another job but didn't want me to worry. Being honest though, I do worry. Been with this company since I was 18. The boss has always been great and a loyal employer but we haven't had a drought like this before. I don't want to leave but if comes to that I'll have find something else.

I'll have to find my résumé file. I don't even think I have it on this hard drive, haven't needed one in years. I'll be keeping an eye on the classifieds. No sense in waiting till I'm out of work THEN trying to get my **** together. Best to be proactive just in case.

Anyway, no particular question. Just want to throw it out there. Recessions suck.
It will pass

Advertisement

FrankSmith is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (01-30-2017), Youngin' (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
Member
 
PacificCanvas's Avatar
 
Trade: Awnings
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Modesto, Ca
Posts: 81
Rewards Points: 162

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Hmm, Could it be that price is an issue? Because I am out here in California and we haven't slowed down at all. Granted I am in the business of tarps, awnings, and patios but when people have money for what I'm selling it is a sure sign things are going good.

Are other companys having a hard time as well? Economy is and has been in recovery and especially the last 2-3 years it is picking up pretty good.

Think it's just a dry phase on sales.....for you.
PacificCanvas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
Drywall Slave
 
blacktop's Avatar
 
Trade: drywall contractor
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: VA.
Posts: 9,390
Rewards Points: 214

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Same thing happened down here in 08.
blacktop is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to blacktop For This Useful Post:
corbin (01-29-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #5
back doors to hell put in
 
Irishslave's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Google knows
Posts: 4,038
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: It's Slowing Down.


After the years of ups and downs, when I was young I thought this is great I'm making at least 3 times as much money as anybody I know. I pissed away so much....then at 40 the light bulb moment came I said to myself you know how this is so be smart you're not getting any younger. You're not gonna wanna frame everyday at 60. The hardest part was not spending any money. I stuck to my plan. I waited until house prices were at the peak...and sold. Took the money I made and what I saved and bought a house cash. Smartest move I ever made in my life....that's no BS....I now have no house payment...just taxes and insurance..that's enough. I pay for my vehicles cash....yeah they are used but so what...no payment just insurance. That's enough.

Youngin, you aren't there yet but at some point later in life you'll just get tired of "chasing it" and what I've found is somebody else always ends up with most of it. Screw that. Think of yourself...because no one else gives a damn
__________________
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site.
Irishslave is offline  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Irishslave For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (01-28-2017), CharlieDelta (01-30-2017), corbin (01-29-2017), Eyeway! (01-28-2017), Jaws (01-27-2017), PRP (01-28-2017), Railman (01-29-2017), SmallTownGuy (01-28-2017), TimelessQuality (03-29-2017), Youngin' (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
Lazy Millennial
 
Youngin''s Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,786
Rewards Points: 484

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificCanvas View Post
Hmm, Could it be that price is an issue? Because I am out here in California and we haven't slowed down at all. Granted I am in the business of tarps, awnings, and patios but when people have money for what I'm selling it is a sure sign things are going good.

Are other companys having a hard time as well? Economy is and has been in recovery and especially the last 2-3 years it is picking up pretty good.

Think it's just a dry phase on sales.....for you.
We are in oil country. Many companies are slow and many of the high volume builders are sitting on unsold homes and not building much any more. Plumbing, HVAC, and electrical are being hit pretty hard. The electricians union recently slashed wages. I have a few friends in the trades that haven't found work in a couple months. It's certainly not just us.

We do high end customs, some customers get hung up on the price, others worry that their own job won't be secure and withdraw their intent to build.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnld View Post
Home Depot... you can glue it, we can help!
Youngin' is offline  
Old 01-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

 
Tinstaafl's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,246
Rewards Points: 1,557

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin' View Post
Been with this company since I was 18.
Just a thought... Could it be that the boss is slowing down a bit faster than the economy? Not meant to put him down in any way, but it does happen a decade or five into this sort of work.

But yeah, good idea to keep the resume polished regardless of how comfy you happen to be at the moment. Things do change.
Tinstaafl is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #8
back doors to hell put in
 
Irishslave's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Google knows
Posts: 4,038
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop View Post
Same thing happened down here in 08.
Boy did it. It didn't affect me till '10...but when it did it was horrible. That was the year I bought my last and final house. That was the ONLY good thing that year. The prices were fire sale low too
__________________
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site.
Irishslave is offline  
Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
Lazy Millennial
 
Youngin''s Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,786
Rewards Points: 484

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishslave View Post
After the years of ups and downs, when I was young I thought this is great I'm making at least 3 times as much money as anybody I know. I pissed away so much....then at 40 the light bulb moment came I said to myself you know how this is so be smart you're not getting any younger. You're not gonna wanna frame everyday at 60. The hardest part was not spending any money. I stuck to my plan. I waited until house prices were at the peak...and sold. Took the money I made and what I saved and bought a house cash. Smartest move I ever made in my life....that's no BS....I now have no house payment...just taxes and insurance..that's enough. I pay for my vehicles cash....yeah they are used but so what...no payment just insurance. That's enough.

Youngin, you aren't there yet but at some point later in life you'll just get tired of "chasing it" and what I've found is somebody else always ends up with most of it. Screw that. Think of yourself...because no one else gives a damn
I appreciate that Irish. Chasing the money is all I've doing the past few years. You know when I joined CT it was with the intention of learning and starting my own business. What I read actually made me step back and reevaluate what I was getting myself into.

Right now, I'll be ok for a month. But like I said, I'm putting feelers out. If there's no work, there's no work and I gotta eat. So if it comes to it I say goodbye and find something, anything.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnld View Post
Home Depot... you can glue it, we can help!
Youngin' is offline  
Old 01-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #10
Lazy Millennial
 
Youngin''s Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,786
Rewards Points: 484

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Just a thought... Could it be that the boss is slowing down a bit faster than the economy? Not meant to put him down in any way, but it does happen a decade or five into this sort of work.

But yeah, good idea to keep the resume polished regardless of how comfy you happen to be at the moment. Things do change.
Could be but he's strong on the marketing and business end. He's got a mind for it and so does his wife. It's just the uncertainty with how things are going on locally that gets me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnld View Post
Home Depot... you can glue it, we can help!
Youngin' is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Youngin' For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (01-27-2017), Tinstaafl (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #11
Pro
 
Stunt Carpenter's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 1,530
Rewards Points: 1,848

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin' View Post
We are in oil country. Many companies are slow and many of the high volume builders are sitting on unsold homes and not building much any more. Plumbing, HVAC, and electrical are being hit pretty hard. The electricians union recently slashed wages. I have a few friends in the trades that haven't found work in a couple months. It's certainly not just us.

We do high end customs, some customers get hung up on the price, others worry that their own job won't be secure and withdraw their intent to build.


It's the whole province. The oil slow down is taking a affect down here also. To add to that January is always a slow month for my experience.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
https://builddaley.com/
Stunt Carpenter is offline  
Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #12
Lazy Millennial
 
Youngin''s Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,786
Rewards Points: 484

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Carpenter View Post
It's the whole province. The oil slow down is taking a affect down here also. To add to that January is always a slow month for my experience.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I understand Calgary and area have been hit harder than Edmonton. I hear about whole office towers vacant because of companies going under and others downsizing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnld View Post
Home Depot... you can glue it, we can help!
Youngin' is offline  
Old 01-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #13
back doors to hell put in
 
Irishslave's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Google knows
Posts: 4,038
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin' View Post
I appreciate that Irish. Chasing the money is all I've doing the past few years. You know when I joined CT it was with the intention of learning and starting my own business. What I read actually made me step back and reevaluate what I was getting myself into.

Right now, I'll be ok for a month. But like I said, I'm putting feelers out. If there's no work, there's no work and I gotta eat. So if it comes to it I say goodbye and find something, anything.
I'm just trying to help a young guy out if I can. I never had a son and my daughters don't listen for chit. A couple things I think are helpful to remember

#1 Credit can make you or break you...use it wisely and only when you absolutely have to.

#2 Diversify your skill set...it's always nice to have something else to default to when your main income stream gets screwed for whatever reason

#3 Save every nickel you can...they always say 6 months worth of expenses should be held back....this is next to impossible for most. I've cruised for 3 or 4 with minimal or no work but remember my expenses are low....In the past I've had to borrow money...that sucks cause I gotta pay it back and you can't get ahead like that.

Keep your head up and good luck
__________________
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site.
Irishslave is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irishslave For This Useful Post:
corbin (01-29-2017), Youngin' (01-27-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 12:10 AM   #14
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 37,267
Rewards Points: 21,010

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Maybe low oil prices?
Calidecks is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
sparehair (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #15
Sure, I can do that...
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/renovations
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,893
Rewards Points: 196

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Low Oil prices and an extremely low perception of improvements in the Oil Patch.
I am in the same area and work for the last several years has been "spotty" at best.
Lots of Trades people looking around right now with not much to look at.
I have been doing mostly out of town projects and even they are few and far between, partly due to the season, but mostly due to the economic realities out there.
Home owners and investors don't see that things are going to be picking up any time soon.
jlhaslip is offline  
Old 01-28-2017, 01:49 AM   #16
Pro
 
JT Wood's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calgary Ab Canada
Posts: 3,587
Rewards Points: 2,560

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Maybe low oil prices?
We run on oil. Oil Prices are down, drilling is down, the machine is slowly grinding to a halt.


Our libtard Provincial Govt. is trying their hardest to tax us into oblivion, plus they hate oil. This scares off oil investment. (they go to the province next door. Their Gov't is truly awesome.) We also have a newly implemented BS tax, err I mean Carbon tax.

I don't know how making my fuel more expensive could possible help the environment. But like I said, they are libtards.

IMO it's gonna be a lean 2 more years.

Barring a dramatic increase in oil prices
__________________
Airdrie AB Renovation Contractor | Kitchen Renovations | Basement Developments | Facebook
JT Wood Construction Serves Airdrie, Cochrane, Olds, Mountainview, Rockyview and Crossfield, Alberta.
JT Wood is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JT Wood For This Useful Post:
Bummie (03-29-2017), Calidecks (01-28-2017), HFC (03-30-2017), tman78 (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:54 AM   #17
Member
 
tman78's Avatar
 
Trade: home improvements
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 114

Re: It's Slowing Down.


I'm not understanding this...
  • -Why are oil prices sinking in CA?
  • -Aren't Oil prices scheduled to increase?
  • -With Trump in office, i was reading that he's going FULL BORE for a CA., Oil production increase?


?
tman78 is offline  
Old 01-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #18
Pro
 
builditguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,151
Rewards Points: 1,440

Re: It's Slowing Down.


It may be slow right now, but it won't last. I've been there. Luckily it's been a while, but I can remember.

Try to look at it as a positive. There are times we get so far behind, I think people stop calling. I'll go through several years where I've got more than I can handle. Then I'll go through a couple years that are lean. I think and I've heard people say, "I would call "Builderguy" but he is always busy.

Things will probably start to break loose before long. Winter time is tough for people to get in the midset of projects. I know the first warm day, my phone will start ringing. Happens every year.

It's actually kind of nice to reset once in a while.
builditguy is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
sparehair (01-29-2017), Youngin' (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #19
Pro
 
BucketofSteam's Avatar
 
Trade: renovations
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 965
Rewards Points: 7,631

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tman78 View Post
I'm not understanding this...
  • -Why are oil prices sinking in CA?
  • -Aren't Oil prices scheduled to increase?
  • -With Trump in office, i was reading that he's going FULL BORE for a CA., Oil production increase?


?
Remember a year or two ago when the embargo on some middle eastern oil was lifted?

The Saudi's and such flooded the market with dirt cheap oil.

the companies who work up here can't compete with the price.
BucketofSteam is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BucketofSteam For This Useful Post:
JT Wood (01-28-2017), SmallTownGuy (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #20
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,897
Rewards Points: 10,828

Re: It's Slowing Down.


Maybe it is time to think about doing some part time gigs of your own. Small repairs, etc. Those things always need done, even in bad times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to VinylHanger For This Useful Post:
Youngin' (01-28-2017)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slowing down need sonera encouragement redeye Marketing & Sales 19 12-31-2012 01:18 AM
Slowing down a tile saw's RPMs ksskss Tiling 9 10-06-2009 02:35 PM
Slowing economy and what customers want to pay AARC Drywall Drywall 7 01-25-2009 04:17 PM
Slowing dooowwwnnnn.. whats next? gtmstang Marketing & Sales 4 09-30-2008 12:33 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?