Interesting Stairs - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Interesting Stairs

Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler
Rewards Points: 526

Interesting Stairs

Some new stuff here I haven't seen before...

http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/200...rcase-designs/
-john5mt

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Interesting Stairs

Very interesting, most of those stairs make me wonder about the safety of the people walking on them though.

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks

The Stairway drawers is a great idea.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor

Cool,some don't look to safe though,how does that pass code?I worked in a home in Vegas that had clear steps and a fish tank in one of the landings[with fish],never seen that before.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Wow , great design ideas, the problem however is the first party that is thrown to celebrate the completion of the new stairway, will probably end with many drunk guests taking the quick way down the steps
Old 11-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

We've worked on a penthouse that had stairs similar to the glass stairs in that link. Only difference was the ones in the penthouse had some LED lighting on the side, looked very nice. I'd hate to try to go up those stairs those if I'm a bit under the influence.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by curapa View Post
The Stairway drawers is a great idea.

Ouch, boom, bam, crack

Who forgot to shut the stairs again?

Nice - but I prefer my built ins under the staircase
Old 11-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTech View Post
Ouch, boom, bam, crack

Nice - but I prefer my built ins under the staircase
Good point, that's a broken ankle waiting to happen.
Imagine death by sock drawer, what a mundane way to go.

I don't know if some of those stairs are in actual occupied dwellings, but I know a lot of them wouldn't pass inspection out my way.
No handrails for one thing.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hey! That's where I discovered my trade! My secret is out! European designs are way ahead of us. People love this stuff. Storage under the stairs and hidden support systems are the thing.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,002

How the heck does this work for a 270 lb electrician carrying a 40 lb toolbag to do some work on the 2nd floor?

Must be some great glue and heavy-duty screws!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath
Rewards Points: 502

Are those perhaps steel? They could be steel boxes welded to a beam inside the wall.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:17 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by orson View Post
Are those perhaps steel? They could be steel boxes welded to a beam inside the wall.
Those are great. Might look better with an architect hanging through the back of one of those boxes with a busted shin screaming in pain.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:18 AM   #13
Pro

[quote=SLSTech;542202]
Ouch, boom, bam, crack

The architect.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Take a good idea with unique features and functionable, show it, someone will think it is so easy to copy & they will screw it up.. lol

I recently was called back to a house I built here in Charleston back in the early 90's to do some repairs, window, door replacement along with wood decay repair.
The H/O heard I was back to work after my wife had passed away & I closed down for a few years, so he called and asked if I could please come help him get things back in order. (The stair story is below why I came back to this house)

This is a 6200 sq ft home with brick veneer for the most of the exterior, w/hardi siding installed on one section in the back from a shed type roof up. I would have liked to brick the entire house but plans are plans and actually looks good.
The family room, (area of the problem) is 29 feet from finished floor to ceiling. Windows stacked over windows on 3 walls, 4th wall windows stacked over a double door.
The problem:
The double windows stacked over the dbl door as well as on the opposite side w/windows stacked over windows, at the top of these windows is hardi siding.
The problem began when the H/O had roll down hurricane shutters installed the year after the CO. Which was fine with the exception to the installation.
The box that holds the motor & roll up shutter weighs approx 100 to 150 lbs, (says the shutter company).
The employees that did the install drilled thru the hardi and lagged the box to the wall. The whole drilled for the lags thru the hardi where larger than needed and no caulking applied when lagged to wall. This allowed water to follow the lags over time and drip down onto the window and the top of door over the next several years causing both to decay.

The stairs in this house are radius and open under, the only wall offering support is the wall that divides the foyer & room next to the foyer. It is a large 2 story open foyer.
floor to floor is 10 ft. The front doors are double 3/o mahogany, the front porch has 4, 18 in x 20 foot aluminum columns with full radius brick stairs leading down to the walkway. It offers a beautiful look walking up to the front entry and inside the front doors with this large radius staircase in the foyer.
When I first got the plans it had a brochure from the company the stairs were to be ordered from for the house. Skipping all the formalities of getting the contract & starting.
I asked the Owner & Arch why they wanted the stairs ordered. The Arch said because to get what the H/O wanted and with being open as well as radius they could not be job built. That got me laughing of course and almost off to a bad start with this Arch, but after talking and assuring him I would personally build the stairs myself as well stand by them for as long as no remodeling or other changes were made to the house that could affect them, for as long as I live and gave him & the H/O in wirting narrowed down to as long as in business and inspected by an Engineer once completed. Engineer inspect cost picked up by the H/O. After checking out some of my references on other than standard stairs they both agreed for me to build them.
With time & their friends visiting as well as some who where building homes as well after I closed down one of their friends attempted the same, to have their builder job build their same type of stairs. But the difference is or was, lol, not really funny, but would have loved to be there to have seen, when the movers where moving in their furnishings, going up stairs with the beds, the stairs folded on the movers..
Folded, colapsed, ect, lol.. However one wishes to label it, they fell down!!
My Customer went on to tell me all the problems they had while building the stairs, ( he recalls them building the stairs at least 3 times) before getting them to work out close enough to be accepted.
My Customer is retired air force Colonel his last position was overseeing the building of the C-17s, I believe they were, the big cargo planes. So he stays right there while we worked, asked 10,000 questions, ect, lol, but he was and is a great Customer, his wife as well. When he told me how he visted the new house of his friend and questioned things while the stairs were being built, that builder had asked his Customer to please keep him out of the house as he made his trades nervous with questions while they worked. I know if there with his friend walking thru he more than probably did ask some questions if he felt there was reason to but not being his house and understanding workers doing their job with his experience I don;t see him overly bothering them.
His stairs, he & his wife are so proud of because of how they turned out and mostly because of the time he spent in Europe they collected all thier furniture there and it is built so heavy, and the stairs today are still as sturdy as the day they recieved their C/O. From what he said, he was at his friends house during one of the meetings they had with the builder, the framer, & an Engineer hired by the H/O and he remarked my stairs held up great and I have such heavy furniture upstairs, looking at his friend he said, you've seen the size of our furniture upstairs.

Anyhow, his friend with the radius stairs like his have been reinstalled after arriving from the factory...
You would have to know or meet this guy to enjoy the full humor. Especially when describing how the stairs collapsed. Not making fun of anyone's failures, just one has to find humor in things to move fwd.

Advertisement