Installing A Jeld Wen Metal Clad Exterior Door - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Installing A Jeld Wen Metal Clad Exterior Door

Old 11-26-2019, 12:07 AM   #1

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 18

Installing A Jeld Wen Metal Clad Exterior Door

I'm in the process of installing a Jeld Wen metal clad exterior door and I've run into a problem. The distance between the flange that runs around the edge of the door to the inside edge of the door is 4.5". The wall is 3.5" thick and the drywall is 0.5" thickness which means the door will extend past the drywall by 0.5". Has anyone dealt with this problem and how? I can either add a 0.5" thick trim around the door which may look terrible or I can add a 0.5" shim and extend the door out so that the door is flush with the interior drywall. If I do that then stuccoing the outside wall might be a problem. Any help would be appreciated. Pictures would be great. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a Jeld Wen metal clad exterior door-door.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 204

Re: Installing A Jeld Wen Metal Clad Exterior Door

Order a jamb the correct width.

Advertisement

WarnerConstInc. (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 12:14 AM   #3

I talked with Jeld Wen and this is the correct jamb for the job. They offer to smaller widths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #4

They offer no smaller widths
Old 11-26-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Exactly why you can custom order doors and jambs.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:32 AM   #6

I'll check with them tomorrow, but I don't believe they offer custom.
Since I already have the door have you dealt with this problem before
Old 11-26-2019, 01:37 AM   #7
Fire up the BBQ

fur the inside out.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:49 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC PM
Rewards Points: 352

The wall is only 4" total? No exterior sheething or finish? What is happening here...

Set the inside flush. Make the outside work with trim.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to CPMKW For This Useful Post:
TheConstruct (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 02:29 AM   #9

No exterior sheeting. The existing outside wall is just tar paper and wire mesh to hold the stucco. From the outside edge of the door to the flange it is 1 3/16". So if I make the inside flush using a 1/2" shim on the flange then the outside distance will increase to
1 11/16". So adding outside trim might be an option or maybe a could float out the stucco wall
Old 11-26-2019, 02:46 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,292

If the jamb is too wide, just trim the interior and add a filler strip between the wall and the trim.

Is it normal to not have sheeting when doing stucco? What gives you the sheer strength?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
TheConstruct (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 02:52 AM   #11

Since the door is part of a remodel I decided the simplest solution is to double up the drywall on the new interior wall and add another sheet of 1/2" drywall to the existing wall in order to solve the problem. It will only take a couple of sheets to double up the existing so that the new and existing wall will be flush with each other.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alancontractor For This Useful Post:
TheConstruct (11-27-2019), TimNJ (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,794

When I run into this I either custom order the jamb or I custom size it myself really not that hard to do. Pretty common to have to do on older houses.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:46 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,742

I have seen this in mobile homes. (called modular in some places)
The walls are thin.

You said the jamb is 4 1/2", but it is really probably 4 9/16". Standard jamb thickness. (I know we are only talking about 1/16", but that is the correct thickness)

I would install the door like normal. It will stick out, on the inside, an extra 1/2". Then use 1/2" x 3/4" parting stock, under your interior trim. It will look fine. Most likely, nobody will ever notice.

If it had standard brickmould on the exterior, you could remove the brickmould, cut the jamb down and then re-install.
I wouldn't. If you do that, it would be difficult to install a storm door. You may live in an area that doesn't need or use storm doors, but I don't know.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #14
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,090

No exterior sheathing? Like has been said just add 1/2 backer to the outside edges of you interior trim. It will look totally fine and is the best option. Doubling up the drywall sounds kind of like a WOS idea. The whole scenario though is going down that route.
The Following User Says Thank You to Morning Wood For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
I have seen this in mobile homes. (called modular in some places)
The walls are thin.

You said the jamb is 4 1/2", but it is really probably 4 9/16". Standard jamb thickness. (I know we are only talking about 1/16", but that is the correct thickness)

I would install the door like normal. It will stick out, on the inside, an extra 1/2". Then use 1/2" x 3/4" parting stock, under your interior trim. It will look fine. Most likely, nobody will ever notice.

If it had standard brickmould on the exterior, you could remove the brickmould, cut the jamb down and then re-install.
I wouldn't. If you do that, it would be difficult to install a storm door. You may live in an area that doesn't need or use storm doors, but I don't know.
I guess I am just not following why it would be such a problem cutting the jamb down . Pulling the brick mold and reinstalling is not going to make it hard for installing the storm door. I can't tell you how many times I have done this. And everything worked out just fine. I carefully disassemble the jamb , run it through the table saw and put back together. Lots of times I even buy the door without the brick mold on because I know I am going to have to resize.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #16
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 5,938

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancontractor View Post
I'm in the process of installing a Jeld Wen metal clad exterior door and I've run into a problem. The distance between the flange that runs around the edge of the door to the inside edge of the door is 4.5". ..

What strange land do you live in Alan? Is it DIYsylvania?

Hereabouts we call that "flange" brickmold or casing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
avenge (11-27-2019), Randy Bush (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #17

The exterior is stucco installed directly on the 2x4 structure with tar paper and chicken wire in order to match up with the existing stucco. This is considered a shear wall with 180 pounds per foot strength.

Correction the jamb is 4 9/16". If I use 1/2" x 3/4" parting stock around the door then I need to do this for the front door and windows to get everything to match up. Which is an option but that is really the only option. If the jamb is flush with the wall then I have unlimited options for molding, that is why I thinking about doubling up the drywall. It's a toss up decision.

I can't cut down the jamb since it is wrapped in metal. If it was all wood then it would be simple to cut it down. I called it a flange because that is the part that is sticking out from the casing that gets mounted to the exterior 2x4 structure.

Any thoughts on using a sill pan underneath the door. The house is in San Diego and the flooring is concrete. I don't see a need for a sill pan but maybe a sheet or two of tar paper to isolate the concrete from the metal frame sill.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancontractor View Post
The exterior is stucco installed directly on the 2x4 structure with tar paper and chicken wire in order to match up with the existing stucco. This is considered a shear wall with 180 pounds per foot strength.

Correction the jamb is 4 9/16". If I use 1/2" x 3/4" parting stock around the door then I need to do this for the front door and windows to get everything to match up. Which is an option but that is really the only option. If the jamb is flush with the wall then I have unlimited options for molding, that is why I thinking about doubling up the drywall. It's a toss up decision.

I can't cut down the jamb since it is wrapped in metal. If it was all wood then it would be simple to cut it down. I called it a flange because that is the part that is sticking out from the casing that gets mounted to the exterior 2x4 structure.

Any thoughts on using a sill pan underneath the door. The house is in San Diego and the flooring is concrete. I don't see a need for a sill pan but maybe a sheet or two of tar paper to isolate the concrete from the metal frame sill.
Made a lot more sense now but with the added information. Cladded door, nail fin/ flange, snap on brick molding? I would still put a pan under it. . You don't want water cooling coming in under the door, tar paper doesn't seal it up.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #19

I was planning on applying tar paper on top of the concrete and then adding caulking on top of the tar paper and then sit the door in the calking. So the sill would be completely sealed from moisture and isolated from the concrete.

In my application I don't see the need for a pvc or metal sill pan. If the flooring was wood instead of concrete then maybe yes. Also the likelihood of water getting underneath a metal clad door is slim. Though a wood door that has rotten away at the corners is a possibility.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,292

If you aren't using a pan, seal directly to the concrete. The tar paper will let moisture and drafts under it. Or maybe use a rubber sticky flashing that will help seal out drafts. Then seal to that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Advertisement