Improving Business Efficiency - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Improving Business Efficiency

Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #1

Trade: Home maintenance and repair
Rewards Points: 2

Improving Business Efficiency

What have you all done that has worked well for your business to improve efficiency? I have a home maintenance and repair business and we do a lot of work for property management companies. I am trying to figure out ways to keep from having to go to the hardware store and buy materials several times a day. I bill for the time spent getting materials, but I want to focus on getting more jobs done during the day instead of chasing materials. It seems impossible, but I am constantly racking my brain trying to figure it out and was curious what you have done that worked well for you. Thanks in advance for any tips

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 3,024

Re: Improving Business Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintenanceman7 View Post
What have you all done that has worked well for your business to improve efficiency? I have a home maintenance and repair business and we do a lot of work for property management companies. I am trying to figure out ways to keep from having to go to the hardware store and buy materials several times a day. I bill for the time spent getting materials, but I want to focus on getting more jobs done during the day instead of chasing materials. It seems impossible, but I am constantly racking my brain trying to figure it out and was curious what you have done that worked well for you. Thanks in advance for any tips
Best thing I have done is set up a cargo trailer like a rolling supply house. The majority of my work is usually a half hour drive away so having what is needed for service work is critical.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (01-06-2019), Jaws (01-04-2019), Robie (01-05-2019), TheConstruct (01-04-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,628

What materials are you constantly getting? Start there.

Keep them as consumables. 9v batteries,toilet fill valves, wax gaskets. Wall plates and a few switches. Caulks, sealants, and spackle. Ceiling paint, zinc, rubber pipe boots. Any fastener you may need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
Robie (01-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,096

I use to do something similar for a couple of apt complexes years ago and the truck was to have a well stocked van (Sprinter). Wood, trim, small squares of Sheetrock and lots of tools and fasteners.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,096

And if you have multiple jobs where when you reach a stop point based on needing supplies, you can go to the next job.

I prefer to pick my supplies up at the beginning of the work day.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDB View Post
And if you have multiple jobs where when you reach a stop point based on needing supplies, you can go to the next job.

I prefer to pick my supplies up at the beginning of the work day.

Yes, if the time needed for a trip to the store exceeds the time needed to finish the job, Iíll go to the next one. Because the next one may need something from the store as well. It really bothers me to make more than one trip to the store in the middle of the day.

It works great if the houses are unoccupied. If not,...

I prefer to pick up materials at the end of the day. Much less waiting. Lots of people picking up lumber or waiting on paint at 8 AM.

I drop off siding or trim at Sherwin Williams on the way to lunch or home and pick up the match after lunch or the next day.

I also like to take a late lunch, fewer people to wait on.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #7
New Guy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 50

Milwaukee Packouts or the like. I keep 10 in the van.

For billing I started using square for small jobs. Bill for your time making up the bill

Organize tools, with other tools that are commonly used for the same task, electrical pouch, plumbing bag, drywall knife bucket.

Being capable of fixing something safely to hold people over to buy time till the next day or until a part comes in is a good skill to learn.

If you deal with a supplier enough that you feel comfortable returning things often. Buy what you think you possibly could need. Place the leftover item(s) in a return spot in your van/truck if you donít need it. Charge a bit extra for time in returning that item(s).

The Following User Says Thank You to micahmye For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (01-06-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 12:01 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,085

I'd do a thread search when I had few hours for tips and tricks.

Consider nine or Ten hour shifts, more work, less lunch and driving?
Straddle one or both rush hours...?

Nine days every two weeks, with a day in the office/book keeping? or Four tens? maybe a part time/retiree to make delivery's?

Offer a pick up service for some non-competing small service companies?

Ask your supplier if you come in off peak, if you can get a greater discount?

Call in orders at Q.T. for next AM pickup?

Check lists/ pack lists..

Consider offering weekend holiday emergency services with part-timer, potential time workers? screen out the dudes&duds with out making them full time workers....

Don't be afraid to charge more for distant work sites.

Be polite, but don't gab with workers or employers.

Put the big rocks in the Mason Jar first "Franklin Covey" but don't forget the details.

Don't leave without doing paperwork....

Bring your own RO water and ice from home with packed lunch, retire years earlier...

pig barn booties for all service workers in finished areas.

Everyone ought to have a spare set of work cloths and shoes/umbrella, gore tex type rain gear... rubber boots/water proof boots. Cold front gear...gloves and hats...vests. No snowflakes needed.

A clean empty 5-6 gallon bucket(AND LID) for G.I. tract emergencies, a plan for picking up sick workers at the site, and of course contact # and various plan of action for different crisis...Think laminated check lists in the gang box/truck here, first aid Kit. phone charger that NEVER leaves the vehicle...

Vehicle mounted invertor and battery charging panel to recharge batteries nightly?

Advertisement

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 01-07-2019 at 12:10 AM.