The Importance Of Job Documentation - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

The Importance Of Job Documentation

Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,052

The Importance Of Job Documentation

I just want to throw this out here, how important is to document the job and take pictures before and taking a few shots of surrounding area as well, can be just as important.

The job I am doing now the 1900's Home remodeling, I was posting some pictures here before... The house next door is a two family dwelling. During the storm Sandy, one of the storm windows (which was hanging before I started the work) blew off the house. Right when that storm came, and when it happened, my siding guys had the scaffold set up on that side. Nobody was working when it happened, because you couldn't get to the job for a few days.
So the people next door, I guess they were moving out and I guess they wanted to get the deposit back, they told the landlord my siding guys broke the storm window. So he called the building department and filed a complain. I spoke to a Building department during one of the inspections, and I told him the window was hanging before any work started on the house...
Not to mention they know me in town, I been doing work in the same town for as long as I been in Business, and I had a side business in town Espresso Bar for 16 years so they know my word is my Bond and they basically they said its a civil matter to straighten this out between us.
About a week after that, I was showing someone pictures from this remodeling job, and I am going through pictures and guess what, I got a few pictures when I took a few shots of before any work started and was taking shots as the job progressed and there it was...
Storm window started to pull away from the window frame and there was a picture before siding was going up or anything was done on that side, the windows was out by a good 4-6" from the frame. When Sandy hit, it blew right off the house.
My next inspection, I showed him the pictures and as they say "a picture worth a thousand words" and he said I knew your word was good as gold... which is another good point for me, it showed that I'm a man of my word.
So about a week later, detective calls me and he said the landlord filed a complaint with them... I told him I know, he did it with the Building department also and I already showed pictures to the Building department, indicating the windows was hanging before any work started... he said no problem, he will follow up with him and that was it, I never heard about this again.

Now if not the pictures,this could have gone differently... With that said, its always a good thing to snap pictures from the day you get to the job until the day you leave the job... especially this day and age were you don't have to develop pictures, just have a folder for each job and dump the pictures there... when done, pick the best pictures for illustrations and dump the rest.

I'm sure most here do that, but people who're new to the trade and just starting out, its a good habit to develop and document everything before and after as you go, it can save you a lot of grief down the road or like in my case

Last edited by greg24k; 01-25-2013 at 06:36 AM.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to greg24k For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (01-26-2013), ArtisanRemod (01-26-2013), Chris Johnson (01-25-2013), fisher36 (01-25-2013), Fredrik.E (01-27-2013), Jaws (01-25-2013), KAP (01-25-2013), Kent Whitten (01-25-2013), loneframer (01-25-2013), mbryan (01-26-2013), oktex56 (01-26-2013), onthelevel (01-25-2013), Sir Mixalot (01-25-2013), SmallTownGuy (01-25-2013), SSC (01-28-2013), tedanderson (01-26-2013), tgeb (01-25-2013), TimelessQuality (01-26-2013), Tom Struble (01-26-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 284

Re: The Importance Of Job Documentation

Good advice ! I've been taking pictures every day for years. It also could help save your behind if the customer doesn't pay. Pictures of progress work is good evidence in court. I always bring my portfolio to show customers my work also. Sometimes things get covered up too fast but its nice to show everything is done right.

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Been around

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,606

I discuss projects with friends in the business. Sometimes they just want to pick my brain, sometimes they want to know if I will take on a job. Either way it's always about job logistics and pricing.

I always ask if they have any pictures. Even today with cell phone cameras and inexpensive digital cameras they all too often answer, "No."

Stop forgetting to take pictures folks. They can be incredibly valuable for so many different reasons. As suggested by the OP, it saved him a hassle at the very least and possibly some $$.

Pictures won't allow you to forget that little detail that takes extra labor or extra material. They are one of the best tools available for ensuring you quote the all work that needs to be done.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Hauling/trucking
Rewards Points: 384

When I was GCing, I learned that documentation is paramount, and kept a digital camera in my truck always. It saved my @$$ many a time. I can't believe how many guys don't take pictures after MEPs, so they know where everything is routed in case of an emergency in the future.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 3,828

That's a good lesson learned to snap pictures of the neighboring houses just in case somebody is looking to get a freebie.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
PROcrastinator

Trade: Residential Renovation
Rewards Points: 158

Great post Greg.. SO TRUE!!!!!!!

Glad you had the pic. Worth 1000 words or dollars + in this case.

Adam
The Following User Says Thank You to onthelevel For This Useful Post:
greg24k (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,429

I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone here on CT, that I carry my camera on every job.
I can't count how many times I've went back to see some specific details that would have been lost without a photo.
Great post Greg.

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
greg24k (01-25-2013), Jaws (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Framing,Siding.
Rewards Points: 536

My camera is in my phone, I snap pis all the time. I wish I'd started it earlier, my portfolio would be 5-6 times bigger ( Date,job address)
Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Take pictures? For what?

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Take pictures? For what?
For one, I can show my wife I'm doing something...because every time she calls me, I'm in a restaurant having lunch...
Five Star (01-26-2013), loneframer (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,624

I photograph things before we start - at the end of every day - if anything odd happens - and at the end of the project. Mostly I use them to keep vacation homeowners updated and for the web site but occasionally they come in very handy for other things.

We both have cameras on our cell phones and that works just fine. Sometimes I take the DSLR but usually that is for the web site stuff.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k

For one, I can show my wife I'm doing something...because every time she calls me, I'm in a restaurant having lunch...
Your having lunch and she's getting the tabs at the end of the month!
The Following User Says Thank You to Five Star For This Useful Post:
greg24k (01-27-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

Great post Greg
greg24k (01-27-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

When I do work for some of the larger GC's, having those photos help with warranty work. If a homeowner/client comes back a couple of months later complaining that something fell off of the wall, and it's obvious that it was neglect or accident on their part, I have proof that it was installed correctly.

I'll email the photos upon the completion of the work, or at least they get sent no later than the time that the final check is cut. Then if there is a discrepancy with my pictures, I can tell the GC that they have a copy of the same photos also.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,442

We always take pictures before, during, and after. One time I had a past client call me up and start yelling at me about how we were supposed to do something on his roof and he just had someone else up there and that person said it wasn't done.

He had a parapet wall that the top brick rowlock was cracking and water was leaking into his home. He didn't want to pay for us to put a cap on it so he had us tar it (which it had been tarred previously). After we finished the work, I emailed him the pictures of the finished work with the invoice.

Well apparently he forgot about those pictures, so when someone else went up there a year later and the tar had dried out and didn't look new anymore, they said the work wasn't done, so he got all PO'd and called me up. I asked him for his email address and sent him a copy of all the pictures. I never heard back from him.

This job never made it to our portfolio but regardless, pictures saved my a$$.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,618

I was once billed for damage done to a ceiling grid in a restaurant. I commented that I did not damage the grid at all. The builder with positive that it was me that did the damage.

So out come the photographs! "See these? Here's one taken on Monday....... No damage. Here's Wednesday..... Look at my conduits. Still no damage. The next week the plumber comes along to install his pipes. Hmm..... [i ]Now[/i] the grid is damaged........"

I also maintain a daily job log. I write down what work was done, the weather, site conditions, any problems......
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Quote:
Take pictures? For what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
I was attempting to be funny.....

I've been known to snap off a digital image every now and again.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 926

I also keep a log book I do take some pictures but I need to take more.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #19
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnc viking View Post
I also keep a log book I do take some pictures but I need to take more.
If you don't document everything, you are setting yourself up for trouble.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 AM   #20
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:

I was attempting to be funny.....

I've been known to snap off a digital image every now and again.
I bet you snap one off...

Advertisement