Im Thinking Of Going Back To School To Earn A Degree On Construction Management - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Im Thinking Of Going Back To School To Earn A Degree On Construction Management

Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #1

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Im Thinking Of Going Back To School To Earn A Degree On Construction Management

Im thinking of going back to school to earn a degree on Constraction management. Whats your thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 1,248

Re: Im Thinking Of Going Back To School To Earn A Degree On Construction Management

I think you should learn to spell "Construction".

Advertisement

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
Jaws (01-02-2013), MAULEMALL (01-02-2013), mnjconstruction (01-02-2013), Railman (01-02-2013), redeye (01-02-2013), TxElectrician (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,024

Re: Im Thinking Of Going Back To School To Earn A Degree On Construction Management

It may help you personally, however, there are hundreds of qualified experienced guys out of work in that field now.
Jaws (01-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 14,468

I know two bad azz seasoned supers who have their bags on banging nails for journey wages. They could wipe their azz with a degree and teach the CM professor enough to fill volumes. They have PHDs in Production and Qaulity Assurance, which is all that matters in this feild.

They may be working for wages but they didnt drop 80,000 to get their previous positions, they earned their spurs in the trenches.

Nothing wrong with education, in fact it is imperative. Just dont plan on a degree advancing you extremely quick, when there are seasoned vets who are applying.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Railman (01-02-2013), skcolo (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 14,468

If you are going to work for big time commercial companys, they may require a degree. Right on, just get some hands on too.

Whats your purpose in taking a degree?

John
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #6

Sorry about the misspelled word, phone auto-correct
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #7

I've been a tradesmen for about 12 years now and a contractor for about four. Well I have my A/A degrees it would only take me about 2 years to get a construction degree.
I am really good in school and with paperwork, so I guessed it would be nice to work for a big construction company.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye View Post
Im thinking of going back to school to earn a degree on Constraction management. Whats your thoughts?

You really need to weigh whether it is worth the cost. Will you ever get the money back that you put into the degree?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
WICKED WOODCHUCKER

Trade: Finish carpentry, drywall, Tile
Rewards Points: 500

There are a lot of fields were a degree is a must. Cunstruction management I feel is not one of them. I have 2 associate degrees in the field. One in residential contruction and another in arch. design. My plan was to work for a big company when i finished but Its never happend. I stayed self employed and for what its worth, I didnt make any more money because of my degrees. I did get a few job offers but the money wasnt worth it. The degrees didnt help me much.

This was back in the late 90's, it could be different now, I am not sure.
Either way good luck in your ventures!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye View Post
Sorry about the misspelled word, phone auto-correct
Sorry about the smart-ass coming out. It does that sometimes.

As for the degree, most companies that I am familiar with would much rather have a guy with 20 years in the blood and the $#!T and the mud, with a good head on his shoulders, rather than any degree.

Not saying a degree is worthlesss, just something to think about.

On the other hand, if you love the trade, and just want as much knowledge in every aspect of it as you can get, anything you do is "worth it", even if it doesn't translate directly into cash.

Advertisement