ICF Brick Ledge - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

ICF Brick Ledge

Old 11-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #1

Trade: finish and trim
Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

ICF Brick Ledge

I have a situation with a home i'm building. It has an ICF basement already poured the garage stem walls and porch stem walls are coventional 8" concrete walls. Here is my problem the porch stem has a brick ledge poured into it already because the home owner wanted brick on the faceof the porch and the steps to be layed up in brick. NO Problem until they decided that it would be even better to do the face of the garage and part of the face of the house in brick also. I can easily go back and pour a brick ledge up against the garage stems and I have a sound way of adding a ledge for the inset of the porch area but what concerns me is the ICF. If any of you have worked with ICF blocks you know they can be bought with a brick ledge already, but what is the best way to attach one after the fact. Digging out the front of the house down to the basement footings and forming up and pouring a brick ledge over 8' up and several feet long is an expesive option. Any one run into this before is their a way to add a brick ledge to Insulated concrete blocks after the fact HELP.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 520

Re: ICF Brick Ledge

Can you cut out the foam add a 3X5 angle iron and bolt it straight to the concrete?

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build
Rewards Points: 2,000

Like wyoming said...

No reason you couldn't cut the foam. Once concrete is done it serves no purpose but extra insulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodel / repairs / Certified Mold inspector, Remediator
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe33 View Post
I have a situation with a home i'm building. It has an ICF basement already poured the garage stem walls and porch stem walls are coventional 8" concrete walls. Here is my problem the porch stem has a brick ledge poured into it already because the home owner wanted brick on the faceof the porch and the steps to be layed up in brick. NO Problem until they decided that it would be even better to do the face of the garage and part of the face of the house in brick also. I can easily go back and pour a brick ledge up against the garage stems and I have a sound way of adding a ledge for the inset of the porch area but what concerns me is the ICF. If any of you have worked with ICF blocks you know they can be bought with a brick ledge already, but what is the best way to attach one after the fact. Digging out the front of the house down to the basement footings and forming up and pouring a brick ledge over 8' up and several feet long is an expesive option. Any one run into this before is their a way to add a brick ledge to Insulated concrete blocks after the fact HELP.
You are so lucky in the fact that the H/Os would like this added at this point. Because it be best to say, I agree it would like nice to have the brick, but, it would be an add on, not comfortable doing. I would gladly add it providing you spend a bit of time with an Engineer to give us a detail for attachig the brick footing to the existing footing. Then submit the Engineers letter along with a plan change to the building office and this keeps you with a happy Customer.
Anything you do to now add a brick ledge to existing concrete footing / wall, places all the liability on you should something ever happen that would develope a crack in the brick.
Let the H/Os investigate the possibility with an Engineer or Planning Dept, bring you back a drawing to follow.
Once they hear from an Engineer the cost to install a proper brick ledge or the risk over time with anything less than a proper ledge, they may choose to keep plans as is and they will thank you for your advice.
The best thing is, in the end you will have no additional liability & nights of loss sleep because of installing something that shouldn't have been installed.
That is what I personally would do and advice anyone I know..
Best of luck..

Never judge another by one's own intelligence
Old 11-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential building/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Like wyoming said...

No reason you couldn't cut the foam. Once concrete is done it serves no purpose but extra insulation.

I agree with Winchester and Wyoming, should not be a problem. I would consider a heavy Z flashing behind the angle Iron and over the foam.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: home builder carpenter Central Alabama
Rewards Points: 500

What about the 1/2" thick brick vineer that is thinset to the wall. Have to find some that match the other full brick. Dad put some on a wall inside his house behind the wood stove 25 years ago. Still there, no problems.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,624

lick & stick stone, face brick, porcelain tile
Old 11-29-2008, 01:45 AM   #8
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

Who's Block?

Bolting the angle iron works (Make it 6x6x3/8"), also, depending on the block manufacturer, if they have a BLE available and it must match the existing, remove the foam, epoxy rebar every 8" with a hook on it, fasten the BLE, add horizontal bar and pour concrete.

^^^^ You need an engineer to design the rebar detail/repair

Advertisement