I Know Times Are Tough, But Come On... - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

I Know Times Are Tough, But Come On...

Old 08-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Home Builders/Contractors

Trade: Residential Home Builder/Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

I Know Times Are Tough, But Come On...

Started that glorified screen porch this week. Poured the piers, bolted up the ledger and started framing. Will be tying into the main Monday.

When I originally went out to meet the HO and do the walk through, I took a framer with me. He's not my usual framer, but a framer who does work for another local GC. Framer does good work and works his azz off. He and his brother are Italian kids from Boston. I'm from New England (NY) so we hit it off right away.

Anyway, the HO has me out to the job site today (change orders). When we were done he breaks out the cooler and hands me a cold one. He says to me "you aren't going to believe this; you might want to sit down." I think to myself "here we go."

The day after we did the walk through the framer went out to the site, rifled through the inspection box, got the customers information, contacted the HO the next day and asked if he could submit a bid for the job. Even had the nerve to ask the HO not to tell me. At first I wanted to go NYC on his country @#$ for not calling me (naturally finishing the beer first), but I can’t afford to lose this job as it's a nice hit.

Now what would you do come Monday? When this kid pulls up with a big old grin on his face and says "how was your weekend big Joe"?

1. Shove a potato in his tailpipe and then fire him around break time?
2. Drop my 20 oz rip claw or tape on his head while tying in the rafters?
3. Drop a piece of dimensional on his head?
4. Take him and his brother out for a beer (would need to fight them both in order for it to be fun).
5. Forget about it until the job is done and then make him wait until Christmas for his check?

To be honest… I want to rip this kids head off.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,030

Re: I Know Times Are Tough, But Come On...

Slimy. I find myself balling up my fists and gritting my teeth just reading that, and it's not even my project.

They've gotta go, and I'd be telling them in very colorful language exactly why. That kind of disloyalty is no way to start a working relationship. It's a warning of things to come that you want no part of.

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 12,490

He broke a deal breaking rule.

Cut him loose and tell him why. The whole in his schedule will be a nice fine to pay.
Tell all your buddies too.

I understand the rage, wouldn't act on it though. I have one good fight in me and I wouln't waste it on his punk ass.
bwalley (08-23-2009), Cdat (08-25-2009), Deadhead Derek (08-23-2009), firemike (08-23-2009), Framer53 (08-25-2009), lavrans (08-23-2009), Magnettica (08-23-2009), nEighter (08-23-2009), oldfrt (08-23-2009), PGD (08-23-2009), rbsremodeling (08-23-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
chief pencil holder

Trade: Custom Cabinet Maker, Handrail
Rewards Points: 1,000

When good ppl get poor, they have a tendency to get stupid. Cut him loose, and let it go. I had some good subs working for me and they all have gotten stupid. I am just taking less work now, and keeping it in house for now. Until the economy gets better or I can hire full time employees I will not waste time with subs right now.
http://sacramentomillworks.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Scribbles For This Useful Post:
PGD (08-23-2009)
Old 08-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Builder/Developer
Rewards Points: 10

What was the framer wanting to bid on? Being the general contractor for the whole job? Is he wanting to be in charge of everything (hiring the concrete crew, painters, trim caprenters, roofer, electrician, etc)? It sounds like the project has already started? Does the contract even allow the HO to replace you for no good reason?

Has the framer already started? If not I would replace him. If he has started I would let him finish because firing someone right in the middle of a job can get stickey and just make your life more complicated. I have fired people mid-stream before but not very often. I usually bite my tongue until they are finished and then never call them again. They will usauly call about a year later (because they are needing work) and ask why they haven't been getting my work. That's when I let them have it. Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. An opportunity to put it to someone always presents itself down the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to jc7622 For This Useful Post:
naptown CR (08-23-2009)
Old 08-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
Tech Geek

Trade: Remodeling Guru
Rewards Points: 1,354

I would write "What were you thinking dumbass!" on the end of a 2x4 then drop it on his head accidentally.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #7

Trade: windows and siding
Rewards Points: 75

why don't you do this: call the kid out and sit down with him. look at him straight in the eye and tell him you don't play games and don't want to hear any bull ****. what gave him the balls to try and take away the job that you hired him to do? you have to confront him on this;look him straight in the eye and tell him to take a walk. also tell him what he did tells you he has no heart and no loyalty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thermax For This Useful Post:
fez-head (08-23-2009), jumbo (08-23-2009)
Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc7622 View Post
What was the framer wanting to bid on? Being the general contractor for the whole job? Is he wanting to be in charge of everything (hiring the concrete crew, painters, trim caprenters, roofer, electrician, etc)? It sounds like the project has already started? Does the contract even allow the HO to replace you for no good reason?

Has the framer already started? If not I would replace him. If he has started I would let him finish because firing someone right in the middle of a job can get stickey and just make your life more complicated. I have fired people mid-stream before but not very often. I usually bite my tongue until they are finished and then never call them again. They will usauly call about a year later (because they are needing work) and ask why they haven't been getting my work. That's when I let them have it. Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. An opportunity to put it to someone always presents itself down the road.
It's just a screen porch brother. It's a bit unigue as it has a cathedral ceiling with 6" T&G finish. I'm actually wearing my belt and was having great time bangin until yesteray.

I will do my best to finish the job with him and zip my lip, but mannnnnnnn oh man do I want to give him a shot at the title.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorWithWood View Post
I would write "What were you thinking dumbass!" on the end of a 2x4 then drop it on his head accidentally.
LOL LOL
Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

There is absolutely no need to do this.These guys have cut their own lifeline with you and probably some others,so he's already set his demise in motion.

Last night,at a local gas station,I spotted a "contractor"filling his truck and his specialties(as advertized with his lettering)were Auto repo and Gutters.
On the rear tailgate it said"Show us the bid.We'll beat the price".

When you try living off the back of others efforts,you've pretty much shown your colors as a Back stabber,and hopefully,HO's will pick up on this as yours did.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermax View Post
why don't you do this: call the kid out and sit down with him. look at him straight in the eye and tell him you don't play games and don't want to hear any bull ****. what gave him the balls to try and take away the job that you hired him to do? you have to confront him on this;look him straight in the eye and tell him to take a walk. also tell him what he did tells you he has no heart and no loyalty.
I know what you mean, but if he tries to lie to my face I'm going to SNAP. At this point the less eye contact the better.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #12
Tech Geek

Trade: Remodeling Guru
Rewards Points: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrojoebarbs View Post
At this point the less eye contact the better.
That all depends on what you're contacting his eyes with.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
Money Changer

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
It's just a screen porch brother. It's a bit unigue as it has a cathedral ceiling with 6" T&G finish. I'm actually wearing my belt and was having great time bangin until yesteray.

I will do my best to finish the job with him and zip my lip, but mannnnnnnn oh man do I want to give him a shot at the title.
I'd be pissed too.

If you need the help to finish then OK.
BUT, when it's complete and you don't need him anymore, I would definately explain to him why what he did was wrong and then tell him he won't be getting any future work from you.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
strat hd

Trade: framing contractor , remodeler , GC occasionally

Be sure to let us know how it ends. Post some pics.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #15
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor

Quote:

The guy tried to steal a job from you, yet you are willing to let him stay on?

The 1st thing you should have done was fire his sorry butt.

By you not doing anything about it, you are telling the sub it is Ok to try and steal jobs from you.

I have fired subs for less.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #16
Century Man

Trade: interior and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

You have to fire him now and he needs to know why. I have had to let guys go for the same reason. Not only do I tell them why but I tell all of the other subs and in particular the person who referred the terminated. Now when I'm interviewing a new sub I tell them the story and hope it sinks in their pea brain.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Code Nerd

Trade: Historic Preservationist / Furniture Maker

There are plenty of people out there to help you finish, Fire his slimy M-F'ing a$$ now. He is willing to try and steal from you a ( the gig), what will stop him in the future? (tools etc)
Old 08-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Perfessional Contracter
Rewards Points: 502

I agree with the 'fire him now' guys - if you don't you'll lose face with the homeowner, not to mention the fact that he did you a huge favor by mentioning the disloyalty.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to davitk For This Useful Post:
Atfulldraw (08-23-2009), cabinet runner (08-23-2009), Cdat (08-25-2009), lavrans (08-23-2009), Willie T (08-23-2009)
Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #19
strat hd

Trade: framing contractor , remodeler , GC occasionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by davitk View Post
I agree with the 'fire him now' guys - if you don't you'll lose face with the homeowner, not to mention the fact that he did you a huge favor by mentioning the disloyalty.
Death Before Dishonor
Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodeling/building
Rewards Points: 150

He's already shown himself to be dishonest. A man who will try to take you one will will do it another way. He's going to screw you again before the job is finished, I guarantee it.
Get rid of him while you have your shirt.
I've been down that road a few times. A cheat is a cheat and will always be a cheat.

Advertisement