I Hate When Customers-- - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

I Hate When Customers--

Old 05-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 500

I Hate When Customers--

i hate when you pull up for an estimate and the customer comes right up to your car instead of waiting for you to come to the door.
i hate when i am measuring whether siding or something else and the homeowner is right on top of me.
i hate when i stop by the job site and want to talk privately with my worker and the customer comes right up as if we are telling a secret about him.
i hate when i leave a customers house and they follow me out to the car, almost as if they want to look inside.
i hate when the job is almost finished and the customer starts acting like they are in a rush and something very important has come up so they can get out of paying when you are finished. you know the type. they are always there watching you and as soon as its time to pay they are gone. of course the wife says she does'nt have the check book.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: I Hate When Customers--

Too much hating for me....

Advertisement

aptpupil (05-23-2011), Framer53 (05-11-2011), pinwheel (05-11-2011), Robie (05-11-2011), rselectric1 (05-12-2011), sbcontracting (05-16-2011), Willie T (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 30

You may have just stumbled upon a cure for stalking. Have the stalker owe you money and the stalking ends.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (05-11-2011), mehtwo (05-13-2011), MilwaukeeMike (05-13-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,478

If you hate all that, start charging for all that you described, you will see how fast they leave you alone... especially if you doing something and charging HO per hourly rate...
Old 05-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 578

I get that. I really do. Especially the walk you out to your car or truck thing. Like what do you think I'm hiding in here? I've seen them rack they're necks sneeking a look inside so I'll just sit there a minute with the door open.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

You'll hate it even more when these customers stop calling.

Then you don't have to worry about them coming out to your truck, following you around, etc., etc.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CookeCarpentry For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (05-11-2011), BamBamm5144 (05-13-2011), Magnettica (05-24-2011), MilwaukeeMike (05-13-2011), pinwheel (05-11-2011), Robie (05-11-2011), rselectric1 (05-12-2011), trueandsquare (05-14-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor

I would just act normal. That is what i do. If i have to talk to a worker, I just have them come out to the truck and grab something.

If a HO wants to look in my truck thats ok, they can see all the tools that cost $$$$.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

I'm sure that this kind of behavior was suggested by one of those DIY magazines or one of those "10 things that the contractor won't tell you" articles on the internet.

I was doing the finishing touches on an alarm system install many years ago and the HO followed me EVERYWHERE.. even into the attic!

I kept making several extraneous trips upstairs and downstairs and into the attic and basement in an attempt to tire him out make him give up but he stuck with me the whole time. When it was all said and done, it was relatively easy to demonstrate and teach him the system because he had seen the entire system inside and out by the time I left that night.. but I guess when people take their homes very seriously, they want to know and see everything and everyone that comes and goes.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
TKO-TotalKitchenObsessed

Trade: Kitchen and bath design
Rewards Points: 502

I learned never to leave my level where the HO can grab it to check my work. We all strive for perfect plumb and level but we also know there is no such thing as absolute perfection in construction. Nothing worse then coming inside and they took your level to check your work and complain something is off 1/128"

I also hate when they buy one of those $1.99 torpedo levels to check your work. I simply turn that level upside down and they see a whole new reading on it. Confused I tell them there is no such thing as a torpedo level that actually works then I put my level on to prove my words.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 376

little schitzo going on there?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Renovation contractor, finish carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci View Post
i hate when you pull up for an estimate and the customer comes right up to your car instead of waiting for you to come to the door.
i hate when i am measuring whether siding or something else and the homeowner is right on top of me.
i hate when i stop by the job site and want to talk privately with my worker and the customer comes right up as if we are telling a secret about him.
i hate when i leave a customers house and they follow me out to the car, almost as if they want to look inside.
i hate when the job is almost finished and the customer starts acting like they are in a rush and something very important has come up so they can get out of paying when you are finished. you know the type. they are always there watching you and as soon as its time to pay they are gone. of course the wife says she does'nt have the check book.
I Love having enough work to feed my family and earn a decent living.
I love that I can still earn a good living while people are standing over me.
I love that I get to do something I really enjoy everyday of my life and earn a living at it.
Sorry for all the haters...find a way to like what you do and who you do it for. Life is way to frickin' short.
FramingPro (05-14-2011), mehtwo (05-13-2011), parkers5150 (06-21-2011), pinwheel (05-11-2011), rselectric1 (05-12-2011), sbcontracting (05-16-2011), SC sawdaddy (05-12-2011), tedanderson (05-14-2011), trueandsquare (05-14-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci View Post

a clean organized truck is a reflection of a pro.... i laugh at guys who open the door and soda cans fall out, and im sure clients do too
Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Cabinet View Post
I learned never to leave my level where the HO can grab it to check my work. We all strive for perfect plumb and level but we also know there is no such thing as absolute perfection in construction. Nothing worse then coming inside and they took your level to check your work and complain something is off 1/128"

My dad told me about 35 years ago, never leave a level or a square on the job. Some of these old houses, the only thing you need them for is a straight edge anyways. You can build a plumb/square wall and it make the rest of the room look like chit
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
The Following User Says Thank You to PA woodbutcher For This Useful Post:
mehtwo (05-13-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Renovation and property management
Rewards Points: 1,019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
You may have just stumbled upon a cure for stalking. Have the stalker owe you money and the stalking ends.
I got rid of an annoying client that way. I didn't send her the final invoice ($140 +/-) and she never called me again. She was amusing in her unique way but essentially was taking up too much of my time to be worth the amount of work I was getting from her.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 264

I don't hate any of those (well, except for trouble getting paid, which I've never had). It means I have customers--and work. As for looking in my van, ditto Rob's comment. They can see right off that it's not a repurposed soccer van with a ladder bungied on top.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Hardwood Floors
Rewards Points: 594

Quote:
I hate when the job is almost finished and the customer starts acting like they are in a rush and something very important has come up so they can get out of paying when you are finished. you know the type. they are always there watching you and as soon as its time to pay they are gone. of course the wife says she does'nt have the check book.
No what you mean on this one.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOLMANinCT View Post
a clean organized truck is a reflection of a pro.... i laugh at guys who open the door and soda cans fall out, and im sure clients do too

I love the clients that stand at the back of my trailer looking in & drooling & say, "look at all those fun toys"Got one old man that does that every time I work for him.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #18
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I Love clients that both work all day, trust me with the key to their house and garage code, and no one stands over me all day. I have had a few watch me from time to time but never right up on top of the situation.

I'm sure the OP was just venting, not a big deal, i'm sure many of us has felt that way at some point in our careers.

I guess I'm lucky that no one bothers me at work
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ApgarNJ For This Useful Post:
csv (05-14-2011), ROVACON (05-15-2011), stlcarpenter (05-15-2011), tedanderson (05-14-2011), William James (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #19
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 376

Eat a few pickled eggs & wash them down with a couple of beers.

No one will bother you until at least lunch time the next day.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
carpentershane (05-11-2011), MilwaukeeMike (05-13-2011), parkers5150 (06-21-2011), pinwheel (05-12-2011), Tinstaafl (05-11-2011), William James (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: All construction, remodeling, home improvements
Location: Rochester, NY Elmira, NY, WNY, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier
Rewards Points: 510

Time for the golf clubs, motorycle, fishing pole, good buddies, pitcher of beer, hot tub, nice piece or cashing a big fat check.

Thatll get you over it.

Advertisement