I Guess I Was Out Of Line, Lost Another One 2 A Laid Off DIYer - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

I Guess I Was Out Of Line, Lost Another One 2 A Laid Off DIYer

Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
#1 stunner

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 500

I Guess I Was Out Of Line, Lost Another One 2 A Laid Off DIYer

Well I went to bid a job a week or so ago doing 1800 sq ft of hard wood and roughly 700 sq ft tile plus tiling a shower using schluter shower kit. My cost (im licensed and insurance yada yada yada) plus my help, and my labor came out to be alittle over 10k.

I was including staples of 30lb felt and hard wood staples the rest of the material was provided by the homeowner. I figured the hardwood at $2.5 a square foot ($4500) and the tile at 5 dollars a sq (hardy board, tile, grout at) totaling $3500, plus $600 for schluter, 275 for misc materials, labor for installing 6mil plastic, installing 3/4" plywood sub floors (950 sq ft), and a few other misc things im to lazy to type out

Anyways======= It total a little of 10k (labor) for which I thought was fair for a 200k house (it's new construction) that was already 3 months behind schedule and the homeowner wanted to start work immediately.

I lost the bid by a DIYer that was laid off from factory work, his bid was $4k . I guess I was way out of line................. I itemized every detail to the job and broke down the cost as im not a contractor that gives blanket cost I have no problem telling the homeowner why it cost this or to justify any of my numbers.

Sorry for the rant, it's just getting harder and harder to compete with laid off people starting in construction and craigslist handymans........

Last edited by Static Design; 03-01-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry & Remodeling

Re: I Guess I Was Out Of Line, Lost Another One 2 A Laid Off DIYer

I'm sorry to hear that..Have you worked for this builder before?
Did the builder tell you what the other price was hoping you could do better or something??Geez...
My Brother just had to demo and redo three shower pans that a guy did for 1800.00. they leaked like a sock. Their price was only the mud job too no tile!! No membrane either

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Foster View Post
Did the builder tell you what the other price was hoping you could do better or something??Geez...
My Brother just had to demo and redo three shower pans that a guy did for 1800.00. they leaked like a sock. Their price was only the mud job too no tile!! No membrane either
It is a homeowner, they will get a crappy job and not know why the job looks like crap, but the saved 6K.

Many times these guys will lowball to get the job and once they start the job, they will start asking for more money, and in the end, it will cost more money and be a crappy job.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bwalley For This Useful Post:
Magnettica (03-06-2010), THINKPAINTING (03-06-2010), Tom M (03-01-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Guy who plays with wood
Rewards Points: 550

One of the homeowners will know why they got a crappy job. The other one will be calling the lowballer trying to get him back to fix it. Good luck there.
Hopefully these people see their mistake somewhere during the install, kick this poser to the curb and call you.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
#1 stunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Foster View Post
I heard the other guys price from the person the job lead came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
It is a homeowner, they will get a crappy job and not know why the job looks like crap, but the saved 6K.

Many times these guys will lowball to get the job and once they start the job, they will start asking for more money, and in the end, it will cost more money and be a crappy job.

That's what I kinda figured. I try to be a fair and competitive as possible but I work in the industry to pay my bills not as a hobby (unless my wife wants me to do something haha).
Old 03-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Thumbs up

sorry to hear that. I truly am. Until this idiot starts to concentrate on economy and the job situation - it is going to be harder and harder to be competitive. Way to many people out of work and they need to survive , I can't blame them from that aspect , but that doesn't help us so until this economy turns around- we all have to deal with it, and it's going to get ugly.

When that project starts to go wrong-which it will, maybe you can go back in and wipe the mess up, I would call the building inspector,no permits,insurance???? don't mean to sound cruel - but you have to work and you can't let these fly by's run us over.

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 03-01-2010 at 08:26 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PrestigeR&D For This Useful Post:
bwalley (03-01-2010), D.Foster (03-01-2010), dkillianjr (03-01-2010), THINKPAINTING (03-06-2010)
Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeR&D View Post
When that project starts to go wrong-which it will, maybe you can go back in and wipe the mess up, I would call the building inspector,no permits,insurance???? don't mean to sound cruel - but you have to work and you can't let these fly by's run us over.
The OP says it's new construction. Permits and Ins would be by the owner/GC. You could go after him for treating an employee as a sub but you would need to have access to his books.

The owner/buyer/GC is unlikely to know the difference. He will skip some steps, buy cheaper material, and praise himself for saving some money. He may not even save any money. The DIY'er may have included only the actual tile and hardwood work in his price, not the installation of plywood, hardi, etc.

Last edited by thom; 03-01-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Wood Craftsman

Thumbs up

Yea,,,,,,,sorry- I have to start reading a little closer,,, ,Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

If it makes you feel better, a few summers ago we lost a huge roof. This guy was a surgeon who reattached limbs that have been cut off. We were at about 85K. Designer cedar shakes, copper gutters and valleys and all this. A million dollar plus house right next door to one of the houses owned by the CEO of US Bank. We lost it to a guy who had no experience with the shake. His price for everything was at about 43000. Our materials, since it had to be special delievered from South Carolina, were around 37000.

Never was able to figure out how he did it but afterwards, found out it took him around 3 months. I figured it would take around 3 weeks. End of last year, took a drive up that area, job looked horrible. Not sure if he painted the gutters to look like copper or what but copper isnt supposed to look like that after 2 years. In that same time, things all of a sudden took a huge leap and we did around 30 roofs in those three months.

I guess the bottom line is that you cant be upset with yourself. You priced the job so you could make money and stay in business. The people didnt accept that, and found someone who bid the job so he could get enough money to be able to buy the cheapest 24 pack on friday night. Move right onto the next. I know when we lost that big job I was furious but things always work out.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #10

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

I'm so sick of bidding against 5 or 6 or 10 other contractors or laid off wannabees these days, I cant stand it. What I love is when us legit contractors are called to fix those lowballers -ups. People who choose those dirt cheap, uninsured wannabees should get shotty work and learn to be more cautious when choosing someone who is supposed to raise the value of their home. not drive it into the ground.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
Daddy Fix It :)

Trade: Renos , Tool Repairs
Rewards Points: 25

Static ,
Chances are this guy will royally screw up the job, or realize half way through that he's in over his head and bail on the job leaving it unfinished, at which point the HO is gonna call you to clean up the mess. That's when your estimate just grew by 5k
Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,790

Your bid is over 10k and his bid is 4k to do the same thing. What you worry about, let him go in for 4K, screw everything up...then you go in and for 15k rip everything out and do the job right.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

If he's laid off from factory work he's probably collecting unemployment.

Put your camera to work.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tom R For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (03-06-2010), bwalley (03-01-2010), custrel (03-02-2010), dkillianjr (03-01-2010), GrasshopperPete (03-06-2010), rselectric1 (03-01-2010), TimNJ (03-01-2010)
Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

Chin up. The homies will get EXACTLY what they paid for....a pile of ****.

NO way in hell that job can be done for that kind of money and and be done right and to a high level of craftsmanship.

The 6K they saved will be spent in divorce court

If it makes you feel any better, I would be well over your bid.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Wood Craftsman

Talking

Divorce court--,,, that was good
Old 03-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors View Post
Chin up. The homies will get EXACTLY what they paid for....a pile of ****.

NO way in hell that job can be done for that kind of money and and be done right and to a high level of craftsmanship.

The 6K they saved will be spent in divorce court

If it makes you feel any better, I would be well over your bid.
Me too. I'm over $10k on just the tile install, not including shower!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

What everyone else has already said, and I think your price was right on, I may have been a little higher.

But IMO you bid to get the job. Hope you get the call to come fix it.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
Wood Craftsman

Location,location,location,,,, $$$$$$$$ not all the same going rates in every state, - cost of doing business based in geographic locations varies based on the going rate in that location IMO, just sorry to hear he lost the job- hope things turn around, and get these people that should not be doing this back to their regular jobs and out of hair
Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #19
#1 stunner

Thanks guys, I would usually be 20% higher but I needed the work and so do my guys so I cut off 20% just to get us some work other then me doing service calls. Just found out the guy doing the work is his uncle, I love family matters.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

Is his name Uncle Sam??, uhhh, never mind, couldn't be . . .

Advertisement