How Are You Guys Handling Mold Remediation - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

How Are You Guys Handling Mold Remediation

Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 204

How Are You Guys Handling Mold Remediation

I bid a project for a guy and on the scope of work was mold removal. I got a professional mold company to do the bid.. they came in at 2400.00

I know there is no special license required. Is this something I can or should do myself in order to get my overall bid lower?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Journeyman Carpenter
Rewards Points: 249

Re: How Are You Guys Handling Mold Remediation

Use 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide. Mix it down to 4% by a ratio of 1 part HP and 10 parts water. Spray liberally. Nothing kills mold better than HP. Its an anti viral ,anti bacterial, kills mold and fungus on contact and is 100% non-toxic to humans unlike bleach and toxic commercial chemicals. Just be careful with the 35% food grade it will burn your skin on contact. Been using this for years its truly amazing and inexpensive.

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
designer + carpenter

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 510

Isn't water the last thing you want to spray on mold? I've heard this from a mold remediation contractor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Ex-Framer

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,682

I use a product called moldstat plus.

Removing the mold and killing the mold is only one part of fixing the problem. Mold spores are everywhere. After removal the affected area it needs to dry out. Finding the source of the what is making the area wet is necessary. Also any wood that isn't being removed should be cleaned and/ or sanded. Then encapsulated with a mold encapsulation "paint".
Old 04-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

Trade: siding, weatherization
Rewards Points: 26

We just had a company come in blasted with dry ice. Kills the mold on contact. No moisture added, given an air purity test.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Journeyman Carpenter
Rewards Points: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINZAN STUDIO View Post
Isn't water the last thing you want to spray on mold? I've heard this from a mold remediation contractor.
That can be true if its just water but its not. http://h2o2uses.com/mold-and-mildew-remediation
Old 04-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #7

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 56

I did a job with mold in it during tear out & I did took care of mine with white vinegar. Kills 85% first time on contact, then a second application knocked it right out. Bleach also will work.
Do not treat mold, or work around mold, without wearing proper respirators with appropriate filters.
You can have a sample tested to see if it is the infamous black mold, (stachybotrys) which is very hazardous to your lungs and can cause permanent damage if not handled properly. Not all mold that is black is stachybotrys, but still toxic nevertheless.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,104

Look into renting an Ozone Generator (lots of rental shops carry them). We flip houses that have mold oftentimes. Set that Generator up for 24 hours in the affected area, and you'll see your mold turn to a fine white powder that can be scraped off and re sealed with oil based Killz. WEAR A GOOD RESPIRATOR. Not a good time to be a cheapskate with safety gear here.

The ozone penetrates deeper than the surface. Kills spores.

Respirator, Respirator, Respirator.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
Head Light Bulb Changer

Trade: Renovation/Home Repair
Rewards Points: 216

I wouldn't mess around with doing it yourself. If you're bidding a job that has a defined mold removal clause, you're setting yourself up for an expensive lesson in 'profit'. Hire a pro, mark it up 5% if you're that concerned about cost, and let them take the responsibility for any missed mold and dry out (It WILL continue to grow if you miss some and it's still wet). Mold remediation is one of those things that will bite your ass hard if you screw it up. JM2C.
The Following User Says Thank You to 66 Shelby For This Useful Post:
fjn (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: GC
Location: Unfortunately I live in the communist republic of NJ.
Rewards Points: 82

Don't take this the wrong way, but you shouldn't be doing mold work if you don't know anything about it. You can and will lose your a** , not to mention odds are your liability insurance most likely doesn't cover you to do that type of work.

Advertisement