How Would You Estimate This Job - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

How Would You Estimate This Job

Old 08-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #1

Trade: Hardscaping
Rewards Points: 25

How Would You Estimate This Job

Not looking for $$$ or prices here. Asking how would you go about estimating this very small job, just as a reference and learning point for me, an maybe others.

Details: Unfinished basement, block wall construction.
3 areas of 3'x4' with loose crumbling mortar joints to clean out and repoint.
2 blocks on chimney have corner edge broken off, about 3"deep.
Section of 8" pipe in chimney that is no longer used, (pellet stove removed) need to remove and seal hole.
2 basement walls 7'x15' painted with drylock. rest of basement not accessible. May come back to do at later time.

Looked at this job last week. HO called yesterday with the go ahead, so score one for me.

Last edited by zenn68; 08-08-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

Re: How Would You Estimate This Job

(materials + markup on materials) + (estimated hours * hourly rate) + overhead

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 812

Definitly T&M + if you lack bidding experience.

Sounds like you might have some unknows hidding the if you give a hard number you could loose your as#. Or be willing to work for $12.00 per hour when you find that it's not what you thought it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

Also do not forget all your hidden costs. If you will need to run for materials because you don't know what you need till you open it up or something.

Usually on jobs like that I give a ballpark and let them know there may be more.
EG. On a shingling job I give a set price, however I let them know if there is rot it will be additional.

On some jobs I have said this could go easy if ______________ or hard if ______________ so you are looking at $X to $Z I expect based on my experience it will be around $Y

Also if it is going above your $Y estimate tell them before and even show them why.

Last edited by Cjeff; 08-08-2010 at 03:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cjeff For This Useful Post:
zenn68 (08-08-2010)
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenn68 View Post
Not looking for $$$ or prices here. Asking how would you go about estimating this very small job, just as a reference and learning point for me, an maybe others.

Details: Unfinished basement, block wall construction.
3 areas of 3'x4' with loose crumbling mortar joints to clean out and repoint.
2 blocks on chimney have corner edge broken off, about 3"deep.
Section of 8" pipe in chimney that is no longer used, (pellet stove removed) need to remove and seal hole.
2 basement walls 7'x15' painted with drylock. rest of basement not accessible. May come back to do at later time.

Looked at this job last week. HO called yesterday with the go ahead, so score one for me.

Zenn,
I gotta commend you on a tactful was to ask an estimating question. You have proven a point brought up here several times. If asked in a way thats not just a "whadaya charge" attitude, there is plenty of good advise and help in finding a way to estimate jobs.

In a case like this I tend to do it the way Cjeff described.

Just don't forget to pay yourself for the indirect costs. planning, going to get materials, permit costs etc.

Let us know how it turns out.