How And Where To Use A Total Station. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

How And Where To Use A Total Station.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 2,190

How And Where To Use A Total Station.

So I've been looking at Total Stations, since Big Johnson posted his for sale, and now I want one.

But, I'm not sure how they are used.

I see them advertised for building layout for contractors. I've never used a transit for layout, because I don't trust the accuracy to swing 90 degree layout lines.

So I have two scenarios.

If you have a building lot, and you need to set the first corner 25 feet setback from the left side, and 30 feet front setback, could you set the TS on the corner pin, enter these dimensions, and then it points right at the mark? Then could you layout the rest of the building from that point?

Second is surveying. Suppose you have a square 100 acre parcel. You have the four corner pins, but you want a line flagged between the pins.

But there is trees and hills and creeks between, so you can't see from one pin to the other. Can you set the TS on a corner pin, enter the co-ordinate information from the plot map, and sight a line down the edge?

I can do this with a transit as well, but because it's not very accurate, it takes a great deal of bracketing and back-sighting to finally get a reasonably acceptable line.

Thanks to anyone who has used one, and would like to answer some of these.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (02-16-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 864

Re: How And Where To Use A Total Station.

With all the questions you are asking, you had better steer clear of a total station. If you don't trust a transit to give you a true 90, then how are you going to trust this complicated machine? They are a great tool for layout work, but they require some in depth knowledge and training. If you don't know what you are doing, you will wind up with a major screw up.

If you want to get some exposure to one and how they work, bring in a good surveyor to do your layout work and spend some time alongside them seeing how the tool works.

You basically load the drawings into the machine, set up X & Y lines and a benchmark elevation to pull everything from, then you can locate all critical items on the drawings using the tool and target, without need for stretching tapes, squaring, etc. They are very accurate, but in the wrong hands can be a disaster.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
3 Jacks 2 Nines

Trade: Wannabe Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 290

No surveyor here but lots of experience with cad and laser scanning. The work flow I envision. Surveyor pins property corners and I can then use the total station to set up building corners check and double check layout and elevations at excavation and foundation.

You can create points with the totsl station but the best workflow I'm aware of is cadding the points, exporting to csv,and uploading to total station vis data controller. Some total stations are robotic some are not. A robotic TS requires a one man crew to operate, two man crew on a non robotic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 2,652

Yes, you can do points on a line with a total station. I'm not looking to get an arm and a leg for mine, so make an offer.

B. Johnson not Big Johnson
Old 02-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
Goin' Down in Flames....

Sorry, I get you guys mixed up.

And you're both from MI as well.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
Goin' Down in Flames....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
With all the questions you are asking, you had better steer clear of a total station. If you don't trust a transit to give you a true 90, then how are you going to trust this complicated machine? They are a great tool for layout work, but they require some in depth knowledge and training. If you don't know what you are doing, you will wind up with a major screw up.

If you want to get some exposure to one and how they work, bring in a good surveyor to do your layout work and spend some time alongside them seeing how the tool works.

You basically load the drawings into the machine, set up X & Y lines and a benchmark elevation to pull everything from, then you can locate all critical items on the drawings using the tool and target, without need for stretching tapes, squaring, etc. They are very accurate, but in the wrong hands can be a disaster.
Perhaps.

But I've been known to learn things in my spare time that others go to school for and make a career out of.

My last foundation was an 8' tall walkout basement on a slope. So I couldn't set batter boards. With stringline, tape, and plumb bob, I laid it out, and at the top of the wall, I was less than 1/4" out of square. 36' x 42'. Not a little bump out.

I'm pretty sure my transit wouldn't have been that accurate, but I know that there is survey equipment that is.

I have a good friend who is an engineer and surveyor. I might go play with his gear for a day or so.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:52 AM   #7

Trade: concrete and framing
Rewards Points: 10

we are looking for a construction layout tool to give us grid points on a large building. we have been interested in some hilti products and the tapcon LN100. what would you recommend . we are not surveyors, so system must be easy to use.

Advertisement