How Much Is Your Time Worth? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

How Much Is Your Time Worth?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Trailer park boy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 371

How Much Is Your Time Worth?

A man came home from work late, tired and irritated, to find his 5-year old son waiting for him at the door.

SON: ‘Daddy, may I ask you a question?’

DAD: ‘Yeah sure, what it is?’ replied the man.

SON: ‘Daddy, how much do you make an hour?’

DAD: ‘That’s none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?’ the man said angrily.

SON: ‘I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?’

DAD: ‘If you must know, I make $50 an hour.’

SON: ‘Oh,’ the little boy replied, with his head down.

SON: ‘Daddy, may I please borrow $25?’

The father was furious, ‘If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I don’t work hard everyday for such childish frivolities.’

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.

The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy’s questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money?

After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down , and started to think:

Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $25.00 and he really didn’t ask for money very often The man went to the door of the little boy’s room and opened the door.

‘Are you asleep, son?’ He asked.

‘No daddy, I’m awake,’ replied the boy.

‘I’ve been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier’ said the man. ‘It’s been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here’s the $25 you asked for.’

The little boy sat straight up, smiling. ‘Oh, thank you daddy!’ he yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills.

The man saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry again.

The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father.

‘Why do you want more money if you already have some?’ the father grumbled.

‘Because I didn’t have enough, but now I do,’ the little boy replied.

‘Daddy, I have $50 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you.’

The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and he begged for his forgiveness.

It’s just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. Do remember to share that $50 worth of your time with someone you love.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to shanekw1 For This Useful Post:
ApgarNJ (07-13-2010), AustinDB (07-16-2010), bhock (07-14-2010), boman47k (07-16-2010), carolinahandyma (07-14-2010), CARPENTERDON (07-13-2010), Diamond D. (07-13-2010), dorian reeve (08-07-2010), hammer7896 (07-16-2010), iHandy (07-13-2010), Jeff G (07-14-2010), jfranklin (07-14-2010), JumboJack (07-13-2010), JustaFramer (07-16-2010), Kent Whitten (07-16-2010), loneframer (07-13-2010), MikeGC (07-13-2010), mikeswoods (07-13-2010), moorewarner (07-15-2010), neolitic (07-13-2010), orson (07-15-2010), pinwheel (07-13-2010), RacerX780 (07-15-2010), sparkytrician (07-13-2010), taylorconst (07-13-2010), tgeb (07-14-2010), WarriorWithWood (07-14-2010), Williams Ex Co (07-17-2010), Wolfgang (07-14-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 502

Re: How Much Is Your Time Worth?

Must have something in my eye.

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

I would have instantly upped my rate. Since it would be off hours, etc. I think the triple overtime rate would apply.

There are many reasons some of us work long, hard hours.

Mortgage, bills, kids, etc....one of my reasons happens to be so I don't have to spend much time with the family....does that make me such a bad guy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Project Management
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Must have something in my eye.
Me too.

Best advice I ever heard was "No one on their death bed ever said 'I wish I spent more time at work!'"
The Following User Says Thank You to tbronson For This Useful Post:
ApgarNJ (07-13-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Expeditious Member

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 26

Might seem a little close to home.........

is it raining out??
Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

From a 'recovering' workaholic. Schedule time with your family.
They are the most important and I used to give them the left overs.
If I had time, energy , patience, love, then maybe they would get some.

My best recent memory is going for pizza with one of my girls.
We just talked about life. 3 more years and she will be off to university or whatever she chooses.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Housewright & Woodwright

Trade: Historic Renovations-Restorations-Custom Log Homes
Rewards Points: 75

We only get one ride on the merry-go-round. . . .There is no second ride. If you don't enjoy and live life, you will never be able to do so.

It has always amazed me how a little 2 1/2" x 6" piece of paper with some green printing can make people so CRAZY!

I can spend $$ just as well as wipe my a$$ with or light a fire with it. IT'S JUST PAPER PEOPLE!!! Money does not make happiness, does not buy happiness. From everything I've ever seen, money makes people stupid and crazy, and do dumb things, that they wouldn't otherwise do.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is more important than family, especially if you have children. You can never re-capture their youth and "growing up" moments.

DON'T LIVE LIFE FOR THE "ALL-MIGHTY $", LIVE LIFE TO ITS FULLEST!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
Housewright & Woodwright

Trade: Historic Renovations-Restorations-Custom Log Homes
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post
I would have instantly upped my rate. Since it would be off hours, etc. I think the triple overtime rate would apply.

Mortgage, bills, kids, etc....one of my reasons happens to be so I don't have to spend much time with the family....does that make me such a bad guy?
That's a sad way to live life!!!

Too many people exist to pay bills. That's not living life, that's existing. . .so very sad!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: All construction, remodeling, home improvements
Location: Rochester, NY Elmira, NY, WNY, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier
Rewards Points: 510

Recovered work-o-holic two years ago realized I'm a dummy if I cant fidure out how to do it on my own terms.

I take a day or two or three or four or five between every project and refuse to work more than 4 weekend days a year.

If you are so busy you have to cheat yourself and family from time, then your prices are too low. You can work less make more and have a life.

When you raise prices to a fair, reasonable level, fewer buy but the sales you get allow you to work less for the same or better and more time friendly money.

Daughter is nine and the last two years of my life have been the best.

Strangely this year working less and playing more is the most successful year I have had.

My sales ability has gone up tremendously now that I am a human being and can relate to my customers who have a life with stories about soccer games, barbeques and family fun.

Awesome post. I could not agree more.

Some day we will all be back in diapers. Squeeze in some good times before you have to eat thru a straw.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #10

Trade: general contractor, finish contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeCarpentry View Post

I read this as i sit by my child in a hospital bed with a heavy heart and tear filled eyes. All to often does this happen to children all i can say is that you only get the one chance they only grow up once there is no greater reward or bond in life than children and family!!! so put down the tools and pencils take time to be a dad every day all to often we get caught up in life and work. the greatest reward in life is a smile on a childs face so take time to enjoy them you can always work but you can never get there childhood back!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timberrat For This Useful Post:
jfranklin (07-14-2010), JustaFramer (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,662

Kid is still short. Family and friends rate is higher.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
Finishing Carpenter

Trade: finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 720

geez, just when I was gonna kick my 20 yr old sons butt for keeping a messy room LOL

it is the small stuff! setting up a tent in the rain - kids hiding spots under the bed - oh man.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,486

God money i'll do anything for you.
God money just tell me what you want me to.
God money nail me up against the wall.
God money don't want everything he wants it all.
No you can't take it
No you can't take it
No you can't take that away from me
No you can't take it
No you can't take it
Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.
I'd rather die than give you control.
Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.
Bow down before the one you serve.
You're going to get what you deserve.
God money's not looking for the cure.
God money's not concerned with the sick among the pure.
God money let's go dancing on the backs of the bruised.
God money's not one to choose
No you can't take it
No you can't take it
No you can't take it
No you can't take it
Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.
Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.
Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.
Head like a hole.
Black as your soul.
You know who you are.

You tell them, Trent Reznor.

But I do love hanging with my "little" Lady's.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberrat View Post
I read this as i sit by my child in a hospital bed with a heavy heart and tear filled eyes. All to often does this happen to children all i can say is that you only get the one chance they only grow up once there is no greater reward or bond in life than children and family!!! so put down the tools and pencils take time to be a dad every day all to often we get caught up in life and work. the greatest reward in life is a smile on a childs face so take time to enjoy them you can always work but you can never get there childhood back!!!
Our prayers are will you and yours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustaFramer For This Useful Post:
hammer7896 (07-16-2010), katoman (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: painter/carpenter
Rewards Points: 264

Some of you guys should bookmark this thread and check back in when you have teenagers.!

My son and his roomate 20/21yrs. stopped by recently and we were talking about local places to swim/hang out in. One spot I mentioned had them both say "to many grownups"....I said "Hey we're "grownups!"
His friend said "You guys look like grownups but you don't act like them!"
That was a nice compliment.

You don't stop being a parent when they grow up its just different.
Never let anyone tell you that Monkey Sue Richards isn't a nice name.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkey For This Useful Post:
PA woodbutcher (07-15-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 380

Quote:
Is your child okay?? I hope and pray all is well. As a matter of fact, you and your child, and family will surely be in my prayers.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #17

Trade: general contractor, finish contractor
Rewards Points: 25

My son is 8 and was diagnosed with ostiogenic sarcoma aka (bone cancer) today was his last day of chemo. he had his let leg amputated at the pelvis and 3" above the knee and had hip rotation plasty which means they turned the remander of his leg around and attached what was left of the femur to his pelvis so his knee is his new hip joint and his ankle is his new knee joint and will have a protetic from there down. And in 2 weeks he has lung surgery to remove the spots they found in his lungs. It has been almost a year now since we started last august. it took this for me to realize how important family and our children really are so for me and my son please take time and play ball or barbie, hide and seek, kick the can or whatever it is smile and cherish every moment as if there your last cause you never know when that is. God bless you all and thank you for your prayers. oh my son is doing really well he is a fighter and very strong he has made me a very proud father.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timberrat For This Useful Post:
algernon (07-18-2010), AustinDB (07-16-2010), boman47k (07-16-2010), Diamond D. (07-16-2010), JustaFramer (07-15-2010), PA woodbutcher (07-15-2010), shanekw1 (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #18
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 380

Seems to me you're fortunate to have each other. And thanks for putting it into proper perspective for the rest of us. We only have family once in our life, and we should cherish them and spend every chance we can together just enjoying one another.

You will be in my constant prayers TR.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #19
Trailer park boy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 371

Quote:
My son is 8 and was diagnosed with ostiogenic sarcoma aka (bone cancer) today was his last day of chemo. he had his let leg amputated at the pelvis and 3" above the knee and had hip rotation plasty which means they turned the remander of his leg around and attached what was left of the femur to his pelvis so his knee is his new hip joint and his ankle is his new knee joint and will have a protetic from there down. And in 2 weeks he has lung surgery to remove the spots they found in his lungs. It has been almost a year now since we started last august. it took this for me to realize how important family and our children really are so for me and my son please take time and play ball or barbie, hide and seek, kick the can or whatever it is smile and cherish every moment as if there your last cause you never know when that is. God bless you all and thank you for your prayers. oh my son is doing really well he is a fighter and very strong he has made me a very proud father.

I cannot begin to imagine how tough of a ride this must have been for you and your family.

Glad to hear it's almost over and things are going well for him.

Give him my best.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

My prayers are with you and your family

Advertisement