How Much Should YOU Charge? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

How Much Should YOU Charge?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

How Much Should YOU Charge?

What should YOU charge?

I’ve only been a member here for a few months, and I have been completely surprised with the amount of questions, regarding “How much should I charge?” I have mostly run these people off the face of the website, and with the last few posts, it has got me wondering, “what the heck?

Before you post a question about how much YOU should charge to do whatever it is you don’t know how to price, please remember a few things.

1) No matter where your from, you should understand something. There are people in YOUR area that are trying to make an honest living in construction. They have the knowledge and the confidence to actual price a job accordingly, so they can get all the materials and pay everybody at a reasonable rate.

When you are submitting a post, about how much YOU should charge, think about that. Because you clearly don’t know how much things cost and/or how much people get paid to do what they do. That tells us the Contractors that you obviously haven’t been around the construction field very long to understand these principles, or you don’t understand how much a person of a certain skill is.

2) Educate yourself. I can’t stress that enough, take a walk down to an apprenticeship office, they have more than enough information to get you heading in the right direction.

3) Try to understand, a simple job can turn into quite the story in less time than you blink an eye.

Example: Your dry-walling your friends basement, he’s going to pay you cash for the weekend your going to work. Your thinking this is a quick easy buck.

You start saturday, nobody is home and your struggling with a piece of drywall above your head screws handing out of your month, and your fumbling around with the screw-gun. You finally get the ceiling done, your ready to tackle the walls, you decide your not going to measure the outlets, just tack the drywall on and cut out the box.

As you start to cut out the box, you don’t take the time to think, “Is the power shut off down here?” So you put that metal saw blade into that hot wired box. Next thing you know you got a jolt so bad that your heart has stopped, and your out cold.

Nobody is home, your passed out in the basement, and you just been electrocuted. You wait for 2 hours till somebody finds you downstairs, rushes you to the hospital, but since nobody was around you unfortuanetly pass away.

True story. Had it happen to a good friend of mine,

Things like this can happen. Its scary and it may be a one in a million shot, but it doesn’t change the fact that it can happen.

Now your family which you left behind is suing your best friend.

4)There is a reason where called professionals, not to tug on my own chain, we are. Some of us have first aid courses trained to save people lives incase an invent like this happens. Also there are many other courses that are ment to keep us and the people around us safe.

I do know that everybody doesn’t think of us this way. A lot however think we just bang nails all day, because we didn’t have the drive or focus to put ourselves through school, witch we all know is complete bull ****.

Before you hit that “Submit” button, think about this. What are you doing? Your putting yourself on a different playing field than everybody else. Your not insured incase something happens, you may not have any training incase an accident happens,. You obviously don’t have a clue on how to run a job, and you should NEVER stiff arm hard working people for a simple few pennies.

We all try our best to get by. Just because our life out in the field is a little different, doesn’t mean we should be down-graded to idiots.

-Bill Kelly

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
ampman

Trade: providing pathways for electrons and protons
Rewards Points: 516

Re: How Much Should YOU Charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K View Post
What should YOU charge?

I’ve only been a member here for a few months, and I have been completely surprised with the amount of questions, regarding “How much should I charge?” I have mostly run these people off the face of the website, and with the last few posts, it has got me wondering, “what the heck?

Before you post a question about how much YOU should charge to do whatever it is you don’t know how to price, please remember a few things.

1) No matter where your from, you should understand something. There are people in YOUR area that are trying to make an honest living in construction. They have the knowledge and the confidence to actual price a job accordingly, so they can get all the materials and pay everybody at a reasonable rate.

When you are submitting a post, about how much YOU should charge, think about that. Because you clearly don’t know how much things cost and/or how much people get paid to do what they do. That tells us the Contractors that you obviously haven’t been around the construction field very long to understand these principles, or you don’t understand how much a person of a certain skill is.

2) Educate yourself. I can’t stress that enough, take a walk down to an apprenticeship office, they have more than enough information to get you heading in the right direction.

3) Try to understand, a simple job can turn into quite the story in less time than you blink an eye.

Example: Your dry-walling your friends basement, he’s going to pay you cash for the weekend your going to work. Your thinking this is a quick easy buck.

You start saturday, nobody is home and your struggling with a piece of drywall above your head screws handing out of your month, and your fumbling around with the screw-gun. You finally get the ceiling done, your ready to tackle the walls, you decide your not going to measure the outlets, just tack the drywall on and cut out the box.

As you start to cut out the box, you don’t take the time to think, “Is the power shut off down here?” So you put that metal saw blade into that hot wired box. Next thing you know you got a jolt so bad that your heart has stopped, and your out cold.

Nobody is home, your passed out in the basement, and you just been electrocuted. You wait for 2 hours till somebody finds you downstairs, rushes you to the hospital, but since nobody was around you unfortuanetly pass away.

True story. Had it happen to a good friend of mine,

Things like this can happen. Its scary and it may be a one in a million shot, but it doesn’t change the fact that it can happen.

Now your family which you left behind is suing your best friend.

4)There is a reason where called professionals, not to tug on my own chain, we are. Some of us have first aid courses trained to save people lives incase an invent like this happens. Also there are many other courses that are ment to keep us and the people around us safe.

I do know that everybody doesn’t think of us this way. A lot however think we just bang nails all day, because we didn’t have the drive or focus to put ourselves through school, witch we all know is complete bull ****.

Before you hit that “Submit” button, think about this. What are you doing? Your putting yourself on a different playing field than everybody else. Your not insured incase something happens, you may not have any training incase an accident happens,. You obviously don’t have a clue on how to run a job, and you should NEVER stiff arm hard working people for a simple few pennies.

We all try our best to get by. Just because our life out in the field is a little different, doesn’t mean we should be down-graded to idiots.

-Bill Kelly
what ???

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: home remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampman View Post
what ???
He forget to take his medication, again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Lack Of All Trades

Trade: Construction & Home Improvement Services
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K View Post
What should YOU charge?

-Bill Kelly
The truth.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Official CT Greeter!

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 732

Quote:
Originally Posted by willworkforbeer View Post
Maybe...

Little Giant Siding & Construction
Our face on the book
Old 06-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
ampman

Trade: providing pathways for electrons and protons
Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by willworkforbeer View Post
makes perfect sense then
Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,310

Bill, that was a good story

Funny thing is, s^*t like this happens only when you doing somebody a favor and doing the work for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampman View Post
what ???
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,670

I would charge 3.75. I feel I am a bit better than the standard 3.50.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
fez-head (06-17-2009)
Old 06-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
I would charge 3.75. I feel I am a bit better than the standard 3.50.
4.00 even, makes working them numbers easier.

Just had to let off some stream, (Breaths in + Breaths out)...Giddy up, i hope some people (you know who you are) have your fire suit on.....

-Bill
Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Service & Repairs

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2,002

I'm refinishing some doors right now and battling the rain every 15 minutes or so. Anyway, she is a good friend of mine and I've done lots of work for her over the years but it's mostly electrical work in the past. I told her I'd like to help with the doors to get some experience refinishing doors. No, i am not a painter but I have done some staining before on small projects but never on old oak doors. To make a long story short, she decides she'd like to help with the staining and she decides to stain the trim around the 15 windows on the door. It looks horrible. Some parts too much stain, some parts none at all. One night she decided to do a second coat but the trouble is I already did the 2nd coat! Now it is all dark, and sticky, and "caked on" is the best way to describe it. The one door i did alone without any help looks pretty damn good. She thinks all the doors look good. I haven't said anything but the 2 doors she's worked on look like crap but as long as she's ok with them I'm not gonna say anything, then again, I would prefer she not tell her friends who refinished the doors so I can save face.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
She thinks all the doors look good. I haven't said anything but the 2 doors she's worked on look like crap but as long as she's ok with them I'm not gonna say anything, then again, I would prefer she not tell her friends who refinished the doors so I can save face.
Nice job Bro, I am proud of you
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Construction Manager
Rewards Points: 348

I'd charge $4.50 and hire Warner to do the job.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,670

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwa View Post
I'd charge $4.50 and hire Warner to do the job.
Thats fine but, I will have to charge a milage fee, mobilization fee, inconvience fee, a per diem fee (I like to eat at strip clubs), and a snazzy tool fee.

Hmmmm.....let me run the numbers..

Simple, $400.00

Ok when do I start?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Extraordinary Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,728

It will all work out ,man
Old 06-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Construction Manager
Rewards Points: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
Thats fine but, I will have to charge a milage fee, mobilization fee, inconvience fee, a per diem fee (I like to eat at strip clubs), and a snazzy tool fee.

Hmmmm.....let me run the numbers..

Simple, $400.00

Ok when do I start?
I'll meet you for lunch at your favorite club and we'll discuss it
Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Painter/Rehaber

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 250

I advertise only on CL, make the HO provide all the materials, borrow my brothers tools, and have my Mom drop me off at the job site. I can do the job cheaper then all of you. $1.25

Sometimes I like to make up those groovy cardboard signs and nail them to telephone poles. That shows customers how creative I am.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 10

Interesting information I will use it next time I give an estimate
Old 06-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidemx View Post
Interesting information I will use it next time I give an estimate
Make sure you take a picture of your potential customers faces after you say that.

Send me the photo, and if they are cheering and chanting my name, i'll be sure to drop my tool belt and start writing a book.

Anything less than that will not cut it....they HAVE to cheer my name, no matter what!

-Bill
Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
I'm refinishing some doors right now and battling the rain every 15 minutes or so. Anyway, she is a good friend of mine and I've done lots of work for her over the years but it's mostly electrical work in the past. I told her I'd like to help with the doors to get some experience refinishing doors. No, i am not a painter but I have done some staining before on small projects but never on old oak doors. To make a long story short, she decides she'd like to help with the staining and she decides to stain the trim around the 15 windows on the door. It looks horrible. Some parts too much stain, some parts none at all. One night she decided to do a second coat but the trouble is I already did the 2nd coat! Now it is all dark, and sticky, and "caked on" is the best way to describe it. The one door i did alone without any help looks pretty damn good. She thinks all the doors look good. I haven't said anything but the 2 doors she's worked on look like crap but as long as she's ok with them I'm not gonna say anything, then again, I would prefer she not tell her friends who refinished the doors so I can save face.
Nice job bud! Sometimes you just gotta get in there and try it, the more times you do it the better you get at it.

-Bill

Advertisement