How To Meet LOCAL Professionals For Drone Business - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

How To Meet LOCAL Professionals For Drone Business

Old 11-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

Trade: NABTU
Rewards Points: 4

How To Meet LOCAL Professionals For Drone Business

Hi,

I am looking to change careers and become a professional drone pilot in the construction industry. I am trying to find reliable methods to network with LOCAL professionals in the construction industry.

Some people have suggested I attend conferences but some are a few hundred miles away which won't help me as a local drone pilot. Any more suggestions please?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,382

Re: How To Meet LOCAL Professionals For Drone Business

Where are you located? That'll help.

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 4,474

Cold calls...lots of them.
Any place you think might be a potential customer, stop and hand out your card and/or brochure.
Always sell your business...always. Just don't be a pita about it.
Every construction company, every realtor, every chimney sweep, every gutter company, every Chamber of Commerce...everyone.

Wear out your shoes and tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 608

Nabtu what trade is that ?, a professional drone pilot that's who you call when the 8 year old from next door is in Sunday school I really do see how this will become a real worthwhile business, every year the drones get cheaper after Christmas this year you can get the 8 year old's younger brother to fly a drone for you and teach you how to fly it.

This may appear to be a spiteful post it is not it is how ever some what sarcastic but I feel there is truth in my sarcasm.

Last edited by sunkist; 11-30-2018 at 11:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunkist For This Useful Post:
Caleb1989 (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,382

My best bud does drone stuff out west. I promise you an 8 year old could not even begin to operate some of the drones that are out there for industry. For starters, they probably couldn't lift the drone out of the case.

This industry is in its infancy and it is currently wide open. The commercial uses are near infinite.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:21 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,660

Drones don't need to be complicated. They're job isn't too difficult. They take pictures. Easy peasy.

Mike.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Door Installer
Rewards Points: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist View Post
Nabtu what trade is that ?, a professional drone pilot that's who you call when the 8 year old from next door is in Sunday school I really do see how this will become a real worthwhile business, every year the drones get cheaper after Christmas this year you can get the 8 year old's younger brother to fly a drone for you and teach you how to fly it.

This may appear to be a spiteful post it is not it is how ever some what sarcastic but I feel there is truth in my sarcasm.
Because you need a license from the FAA to operate a drone for commercial purposes.

A couple years ago while doing a different gig, we had to drop a LIDAR device and also a sonar device into the middle of a sinkhole. It was a complicated endeavor since we couldn't get closer than 1200' to the center of the sinkhole. In conjunction with a couple surveyors, a commercial drone operator, our wireline truck and too much more to elaborate on, we were able to map the interior of the sinkhole. It would have been next to impossible without the drone image to help us keep the equipment in the center of the odd shaped sinkhole. He was rather proficient with the drone and had at least two of them on site.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickP For This Useful Post:
Easy Gibson (12-03-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:36 PM   #8
GC/carpenter

If I can learn to use one anyone can.

Takes all but 10 minutes to learn. Especially with the newer ones. If all else fails let go of the controls and push a button and it lands exactly where it took off from.

The older models had to be paired and forgetting to pair them is a fatal mistake. The newer ones eliminated that.

Mike.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Because you need a license from the FAA to operate a drone for commercial purposes.

A couple years ago while doing a different gig, we had to drop a LIDAR device and also a sonar device into the middle of a sinkhole. It was a complicated endeavor since we couldn't get closer than 1200' to the center of the sinkhole. In conjunction with a couple surveyors, a commercial drone operator, our wireline truck and too much more to elaborate on, we were able to map the interior of the sinkhole. It would have been next to impossible without the drone image to help us keep the equipment in the center of the odd shaped sinkhole. He was rather proficient with the drone and had at least two of them on site.
You needed a license to talk on a CB radio and every body got one.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Drones don't need to be complicated. They're job isn't too difficult. They take pictures. Easy peasy.

Mike.
You needed a license to talk on a CB radio and every body got one.
Licence for Citizens Band?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Remember your first drone?Licence for Citizens Band?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Did you read my post? I put the last part in there just for you.

Mike.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:01 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,326

As said before, talk to everyone possible. You may visit a company that doesnít need any drone work, but in a year they might.
Donít be afraid to check with insurance companies. Hey use drones to survey crop damage. A couple years ago, one company only had one qualified person to operate the drone, for the whole state an he was wanting to retire. Had to be a licensed pilot to operate he drone. He was the only one in the company with a pilots license. He was encouraging me to take his place. You never know. He still works for them but it sounds easier than pounding nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement