Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

how to get into IKE cleanup or rebuilding????

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  buildpinnacle 
#1 · (Edited)
anyone know how/where to get information on getting work rebuilding homes and buildings or storm cleanup from IKE? I'm up in Wisconsin, have a crew of 3 guys with a skytrak, skidsteer, lowboy and all the tools ready to go if I could get some jobs and maybe help some people start to get their lives and homes back into shape. I am not a storm chaser for those of you already to say that...winter is coming and not too many long term jobs lined up here so thinking of heading south, I am a full service general contractor and been in business for 8 years......thanks for any help

#5 ·
Landmark:

Having worked several natural disasters, I can tell you the best manner of advertising in the 'Ike' market is word of mouth. Of course, you have to have a project prior to getting referrals. Landing the first project can be done by use of jobsigns, door hangers, truck signs, small area mailers, and eating breakfast at the local greasy spoon every morning, chatting with the patrons, handing out cards, and always wear a nice company polo. I have found that people have actually stopped us filling up our trucks to get business cards, and I try to set appointments at that time.

Some other tips. Make certain you have a very professional appearance, professional literature, business cards, informative website, and a respectful crew. As we work a lot of disasters be it hail or wind, we only work in Texas, so I am not certain as to whether we qualify as 'stormers'. One thing I can tell you is that people are on the defensive for any out of town or out of state rip-off contractors. The media has driven this home as well. If you are a professional company, do what you say you will do, put out a quality product, then you will do fine and make very good monies if you can stay on the insurance side of the game and not get into too much competitive bidding. Storm chasing companies are just like all other contractors....there are very good teams and usually a smaller percentage of very bad ones. The extra help is usually necessary in these situations b/c locals cannot generally handle the volume in such a short time.

The expenses in CAT work are very high. Be prepared to pay upwards of $100.00 per night for a motel 6 (if you can find one). Your men will expect a per diem amount daily anywhere from $25.00 to $40.00 per day for meals. The GC/Remodeler/Roofing Co. will generally cover all hotels, gas, per diems, etc. for all employees, so make sure you have adequate cash flows or it could be a disappointing trip back.

Good luck and I wish you the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.