How Do YOU Handle Unexpected Job Delays? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

How Do YOU Handle Unexpected Job Delays?

Old 06-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
Texas Strong

Trade: Administrator
Rewards Points: 14,348

How Do YOU Handle Unexpected Job Delays?

How Do YOU Handle Unexpected Job Delays?-delay-lge.jpg

Quote:
"Before construction begins, everyone involved attempts to do one thing: predict the future in order to minimize the risk of unforeseen events that might delay the projectís completion. Owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, sureties, financial institutions, insurers and vendors all want the project to be done well and done on time." http://www.contractortalk.com/articl...ed-job-delays/
How do YOU handle unexpected job delays?

Last edited by Cricket; 06-05-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 458

Re: How Do YOU Handle Unexpected Job Delays?

Before or after the pub opens?

Advertisement

Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
The Following User Says Thank You to asevereid For This Useful Post:
Cricket (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Brick/Stone Mason
Rewards Points: 1,286

I love the way they use all these actors to portray construction workers, and get it all wrong, sneakers, hard hat nowhere to be seen or on the ground, random bits of lumber clean as heck.

In answer to the question when delays happen when it's outta your control or even your doing and there nothing you can do, just roll with it, stressing out will not fix or make thing better. Hope the next client or trade to follow understands and if they don't, let them stress about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S.U.M For This Useful Post:
Cricket (06-05-2015), fjn (06-10-2015), Kowboy (06-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,552

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.U.M View Post
I love the way they use all these actors to portray construction workers, and get it all wrong, sneakers, hard hat nowhere to be seen or on the ground, random bits of lumber clean as heck.

In answer to the question when delays happen when it's outta your control or even your doing and there nothing you can do, just roll with it, stressing out will not fix or make thing better. Hope the next client or trade to follow understands and if they don't, let them stress about it.
What about that hard hat on the ground? Its next to the neighborly fellow that stopped over for a cup of coffee and was wondering what the racket was all about.

Those are two college graduates sitting there. The one on the phone is trying to contact the lowest bidder wondering why he isn't there, and how long it's going to be before he straightens out after his latest bender.

Delays are inevitable. Its when people realize that, expect it even, that they can deal with them constructively.
Cricket (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 397

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Every job will have issues. I try to get my ducks in a row and will also prod others to do the same. I hate having down time when someone drops the ball, so I try to stay 2 steps ahead and remind them about deliveries, ordering, job sequence, etc.

When delays do occur, and they always will, we try to have smaller jobs going or in the loop so we can fall back on them. I am currently reroofing my house due to a job start delay. I knew that some time in the next year or so it was gonna need done. I was returning to town on Monday when I got word of the delay. I went online, ordered shingles and supplies, and had my three of our trucks at Lowes at 730 on Tuesday.

Easy Gibson
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (06-05-2015), Cricket (06-05-2015), Jaws (06-06-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,782

Work delays are a daily occurrence for me. Ask the gc who's job Jpape1224 is supposed to be trimming out.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 828

um there is a $12,000.00 check with my name on it that on don't have in my pocket because I screwed up and the job isn't done yet nor will it be done for 3 more weeks as it sits there dead in the water cause of my mistake, so I float all the subs payments and materials till I get my hands on it, it blows but I don't loose sleep over it, but I do hope that no one remembers the completion bs that their lawyer wrote into the contract
Old 06-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 7,584

Seems like I handle the stress of unexpected delays on my job ALOT better than the next GC waiting for me to start their job, handles the stress of my job delays !

.......who am I kidding? Hell I stress over everything
The Following User Says Thank You to brickhook For This Useful Post:
blacktop (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,886

What I try to do is this. The first customer of the season who seems like they are not in a hurry and can appreciate a solid discount I approach with this offer. I will discount your job X amount of dollars if you are in no hurry and will allow me to use it as a "fill in" job. That way if a snafu occurs,I can shift over to it and we have no idle time.

Right now I have two fairly large brick / stone patios waiting,one not started,the other 60% complete. I figure a good discount is better than marking time.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
brickhook (06-10-2015)