Housing Construction In PA - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Housing Construction In PA

Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
PRO

Trade: CGC Concrete
Rewards Points: 150

Housing Construction In PA

Am looking to relocate to Pennsylvania in the new year. Have been looking at houses on line and have noticed that many house are wood frame and siding. This is a little different than here in FL. There is a to e of block construction here. It seems that all new construction in FL is block, slab on grade, and if there is a second story, it is stick frame.

From what I noticed in PA only basements are concrete. Some of the newer houses are block, with brick accents. Is stick framing very common up north? My thoughts is it would be a maintenance nightmare.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,552

Re: Housing Construction In PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhammer
Am looking to relocate to Pennsylvania in the new year. Have been looking at houses on line and have noticed that many house are wood frame and siding. This is a little different than here in FL. There is a to e of block construction here. It seems that all new construction in FL is block, slab on grade, and if there is a second story, it is stick frame.

From what I noticed in PA only basements are concrete. Some of the newer houses are block, with brick accents. Is stick framing very common up north? My thoughts is it would be a maintenance nightmare.

Thanks
You've got it pegged. Probably because we don't have to deal with the wind loads you do down in FL.

As for it being a maintenance nightmare, I would assume that as long as it's built properly that it should last "forever".

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,552

Oh, and slab on grade is practically nonexistent.
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
PRO

Trade: CGC Concrete

There is plenty of slab on grade up north. They are called driveways. Lol.

Not surprised to hear the news. We also have no frost line here, so depth here in FL is very shallow. I can't wait to look at how the houses are built.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Back when this land was settled there were lots of trees, hence lots of wood I have worked on houses that were built in the early 1800s that were taken care of and are still in good shape. Same as any other place you keep a good roof on it, protect your foundation with gutters to keep the water away and keep paint on it.

There are a few brick homes in our area but that is because there was a brick plant here in town in the early to mid 1800s. Cedar is outrageous around here so for the most part vinyl is the way to go. Not a huge fan, but it beats the hell out of t-111. Hardi is catching on though.
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Jeff

Trade: master turd burglar
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA woodbutcher View Post
Back when this land was settled there were lots of trees, hence lots of wood I have worked on houses that were built in the early 1800s that were taken care of and are still in good shape. Same as any other place you keep a good roof on it, protect your foundation with gutters to keep the water away and keep paint on it.

There are a few brick homes in our area but that is because there was a brick plant here in town in the early to mid 1800s. Cedar is outrageous around here so for the most part vinyl is the way to go. Not a huge fan, but it beats the hell out of t-111. Hardi is catching on though.
Hmm the brick part sounds oddly familiar. Brick plant hear to, a ton of old hanley brick everywhere. The awesome part of it? Brick batts, tons of em everywhere. Makes it real fun when you go to dig post holes, go down 16" and thats all you find. Drain good, to bad its impossible to dig in them.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkfox624 For This Useful Post:
PA woodbutcher (09-06-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA woodbutcher

Which brick plant..? Watsontown?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Tech Geek

Trade: Remodeling Guru
Rewards Points: 1,356

The only masonry homes I ever see are in Philly.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: general contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorWithWood View Post
take a ride up 611 to easton brown stones. Any place near the old water ways for shipping you will find them.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorWithWood
They are around everywhere. I'm about an hour outside of Philly. I work local and in center city. There are tons of stone homes for miles.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag ship

take a ride up 611 to easton brown stones. Any place near the old water ways for shipping you will find them.
There's a lot of brick and brownstone in the old railroad towns too...
Enola, Steelton, Columbia etc... That's the one neat thing about Pa there's a lot of different styles of builds. My old house used to be a Speakeasy..
Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: general contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
There's a lot of brick and brownstone in the old railroad towns too...
Enola, Steelton, Columbia etc... That's the one neat thing about Pa there's a lot of different styles of builds. My old house used to be a Speakeasy..
Yep. I still have a place in cameron county. Many old homes like your past one. Florida is different mostly same old same old imo.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
Which brick plant..? Watsontown?
Towanda

Did a quick google and found nothing. Word has it there was aplant here in the early 1800s. Some of the brick on the houses around here are still in great shape, but some of them are very crumbly.

Advertisement

When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .