Home Security Cameras

Old 08-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,396

Home Security Cameras

Hey guys. Hope you are all well.
Need it on exterior of my house.
I couldn't tell one system from the other.
I do know that I want it to be able see at night.
I think cloud base to reduce any unnecessary hardware.
I don't mind hard wire.
Phone app I think would be a must.

Any thoughts any experience would be greatly appreciated Thank you in advance for your time.
City

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 3,222

Re: Home Security Cameras

A buddy of mine has a ring wireless system and he likes it other than he said it goes thru batteries pretty fast. Notifies his phone anytime it detects motion and the pics are fair. Sure there are better systems but his was fairly economical.

Think he has 4 or 5 cameras.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
A buddy of mine has a ring wireless system and he likes it other than he said it goes thru batteries pretty fast. Notifies his phone anytime it detects motion and the pics are fair. Sure there are better systems but his was fairly economical.

Think he has 4 or 5 cameras.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Seen those. Trying to avoid battery replacement. TY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,780

Kids all have Nest cameras, interior and exterior. They're all happy with their performance.

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
CityDecks (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 962

I have a couple of Amcrest cameras.

You need a power source and wifi for remote viewing. You can also have it record to an sd card onboard.

Amcrest.com

My neighbor just bought a couple of Blink cameras and they like them. 2 year battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMZ2LTB...AWAJAR11KPQJQM

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
CityDecks (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 232

I put in Arlo cameras. Yes there are batteries. Need to be removed and recharged maybe twice a year. Had them up for 7 months and we're finally down to 30% charge.

The pluses:

No wires to run-even though you don't care it can be a pain.

Expandable, I have 3 cameras, will probably add a fourth.

Easy to set up and program. I have mine set to go on automatically at night and every time my cell phone is more than a half a mile away.

FREE after initial purchase. This is huge. Ring charges you a monthly fee to save your videos. The Arlo sends a video to your phone and you can save it or it deletes after 7 days.

Good customer service and I've had zero issues. Had them up and running in 20 minutes.

I did a lot of research before I installed them and I was all in for less than $300 because I got a good deal at Costco.
The Following User Says Thank You to fred54 For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,112

I have a nest camera covering my front door and driveway and I like it a lot, it does have a subscription fee if you want to save the video for more than three hours but I think it is $50 a year

I like the fact that it doesnít use batteries and everything is cloud-based. Nest is good if you have good Internet service and donít have a data cap. It is pretty cool to see activity right from your smart phone especially when you are out of town. It has come in handy several times.

It is nice because you can set up alerts for when it detects a person (or motion or sound) walking in front of the zone so when i was out of town for vacation i can see a summary of all of the people that were on my property

The only thing that I donít like about nest is that if I want to add more cameras I believe I have to pay more for each camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
CityDecks (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
I have a nest camera covering my front door and driveway and I like it a lot, it does have a subscription fee if you want to save the video for more than three hours but I think it is $50 a year

I like the fact that it doesnít use batteries and everything is cloud-based. Nest is good if you have good Internet service and donít have a data cap. It is pretty cool to see activity right from your smart phone especially when you are out of town. It has come in handy several times.

It is nice because you can set up alerts for when it detects a person (or motion or sound) walking in front of the zone so when i was out of town for vacation i can see a summary of all of the people that were on my property

The only thing that I donít like about nest is that if I want to add more cameras I believe I have to pay more for each camera

I'm leaning towards nest. Need 6/ camera's.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDecks View Post
I'm leaning towards nest. Need 6/ camera's.

I have zero experience with any other system so I donít have anything to compare to however I would highly recommend Nest.

I donít know if itís the best one or not but pretty much all the reviews on the nest system are really good and thatís why we went with it..

Plus my city paid for it, Otherwise I am too much of a cheap ass to pay for one on my own! Hahaha

Old 08-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 954

I have the wired ring doorbell and POE run stick up cam. I’ve been happy with them. Eventually I’d like to do some sort of HIKvision NVR system that’s been talked about here in the past, but for now this is a simple solution with cloud based recording and a phone app.

I also picked up one of those Wyze cams since they started selling them at Home Depot. I have to say, not bad for $25.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:55 PM   #11
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 62

I was a cop for 5 years before I got back into construction. I have spent A LOT of time reviewing surveillance video for various cases. In my experience, nearly every business except for banks and big chain stores have horrible camera systems because they don't want to pay for decent cameras and they're often not placed well. So here's my two cents:

- Use high quality cameras or you're just wasting your money
- An audible alarm will do more to prevent crime than cameras. Cameras only help catch the bad guy later (unless you can view them in real time from your cell phone)
- Motion activated flood lights are a good deterrent at night.
- If you do use cameras, place them at any likely access points and PLACE THEM LOW so you can see faces. Most bad guys wear hats/hoodies and keep their heads down so an overhead camera won't do much for you.
- Place inside cameras so you can get the widest view and catch any crime on camera (if someone steals all your wife's jewelry and puts it in a backpack, it's really hard to prove it unless the actual act is caught on camera.
- Motion activated cameras are good so you don't have to look through days of video to pinpoint when a crime occurred. Continuously recording cameras are normally on a 10-14 day loop, so if you're on extended travel your video evidence might be overwritten by the time you get back to it.

I don't have many recommendations on brands, but I do know a lot of people seemed satisfied with the Ring system.

Good luck! - Sam
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam @ PWE For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 02:32 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,792

A few comments.

License plates and bright lights completely negate typical night vision, they're so bright you won't see anything else

If you really want to be able to video at night, just have regular lights on or on motion detect.

Really cheap cameras tend to be flakey.

X2 on being able to see faces.

They work fine with a mobile hotspot, but you have to have reliable cell data rates and I haven't found one that doesn't turn into a brick if you skip a data plan.

If you lose the router connection for any reason, you may have to reset everything camera by camera to get them back online. They'll still be recording, but you won't have access. Get the biggest sdcard your camera will take so you don't lose anything just because the power went off and you couldn't access the cameras.

If you set a camera up where it gets triggered frequently, and have it record for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, whatever each time, your individual clips may contain multiple events, and you'll be stuck reviewing every single clip covering hours of a day. Nothing but a big pain.

Advertisement