And The Home Owner Helped. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

And The Home Owner Helped.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

And The Home Owner Helped.

Thought everyone might have a few funny homeowner helped stories. Here is a couple to start off with. We were working on this island renovating a boathouse. To save money the general we were working for and the homeowner decided they would use up left over cape cod prepainted siding of various colours from several previous jobs. The homeowner wife said she would paint the siding when they were up on the weekend. We had the labourers pile it beside the building on Friday. When we got there Monday all the siding had been painted. Unfortunately she painted the backside. When they came up the following Friday the look on her face when they arrived and saw the multicoloured siding all installed. When we told her she had painted the wrong side, she shrugged it off and started painting the siding again. I was impressed when she got up on four high scaffold to paint the gables.
Another one was this homeowner had a small excavator and we were putting an addition on his house including a new garage. The block foundation for the garage was quite deep and we were filling and packing every six inches. This seemed too slow for the customer so he stated he would do the fill and pack on the garage on the weekend. When we left Friday he was running around with two plate packers at a time. Talk about impatient. When we returned Monday he had it all filled up. That's when we noticed the block on the outside wall was blown in about four inches. I guess he had driven the excavator too close to the wall without fill inside. We had to dig the wall back out and straighten it out. We then put rebar in the wall and poured it solid with concrete to get the strength back. So much for him saving money. That was the last he helped on that project. I am sure you all have lots of stories. Lets hear a few.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

Re: And The Home Owner Helped.

Had a home owner who said they would remove wall paper prior to paint. They peeled off the vinyl layer but left all of the paper on the wall.

Had the home owner who didnt like any of the stains I recommended. Stained the floor with product he provided, it was impossible it would dry instantly and double build. Also the next day it was still super tacky. Come to find out after we're resanding the floor, because we knew it looked awful and before he asked us to, he says yeah the paint store said it wouldnt work. I took the job over memorial day weekend because he had messed up the floor to begin with. Didnt need the money, just wanted to help the guy out. Even gave him a break on the price. Wanted to know why we were taking so long and he had guests coming in two days. He stiffed us for half.

Advertisement

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 12-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
Business Owner

Trade: Schluter Systems ASD, General Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Had a home owner who said they would remove wall paper prior to paint. They peeled off the vinyl layer but left all of the paper on the wall.

Had the home owner who didnt like any of the stains I recommended. Stained the floor with product he provided, it was impossible it would dry instantly and double build. Also the next day it was still super tacky. Come to find out after we're resanding the floor, because we knew it looked awful and before he asked us to, he says yeah the paint store said it wouldnt work. I took the job over memorial day weekend because he had messed up the floor to begin with. Didnt need the money, just wanted to help the guy out. Even gave him a break on the price. Wanted to know why we were taking so long and he had guests coming in two days. He stiffed us for half.

That always seems to be the case when you try to give someone a helping hand.

last week I did a shower for some friends and aided in tile selection as usual, I gave a bunch of tile samples and even my full discount from the suppliers not only that I knocked off a huge chunk on the shower itself. Anyways they went and picked out their own grade1 30 cent tiles. When I got started I began to notice the grout lines weren't adding up, I checked the lot numbers and there were five different runs of tile on the pallet all the same make and series of tile but they ranged anywhere in size from 11 5/8 to 11 23/32. Absolute monster for me to sort out, anyways the homeowners were still happy with the outcome, but I pray they never tell anyone who tiled their shower!!
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling/specializing in kitchen & baths
Rewards Points: 578

Standard Contractor code. It's double the price if you help.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to go dart For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (12-04-2014), AmeliaP (12-04-2014), avenge (12-04-2014), bob hutson (12-09-2014), brhokel606 (12-04-2014), dkillianjr (12-04-2014), goneelkn (12-04-2014), JAH (12-04-2014), [email protected] (12-04-2014), Kowboy (12-06-2014), littlefred811 (12-04-2014), Metro M & L (12-04-2014), muskoka guy (12-06-2014), Robie (12-04-2014), TNTRenovate (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post

No good dead goes unpunished!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brain2106 For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (12-04-2014), Chopsaw Chick (12-06-2014), littlefred811 (12-04-2014), Metro M & L (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

He wasn't helping me but I was doing a fireplace while the carpenter were framing the house (did it at the same time so the framers could put the rafters in the right spot) Homeowner had some vacay coming up so he decided to help. They were sheathing the roof and i overheard the framer tell the owner to put the H clip on the piece of sheathing

heavy accent

No Bob put it near centre...no bob, near centre...centre Bob...Bob near centre...No Bob no tape measure...Bob centre, near centre bob...BOB!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dom-mas For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (12-04-2014), blacktop (12-04-2014), sycamorebob (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

This is not a home owner story however,it follows the theme. Almost 40 years ago a guy I knew had a gas station and did repair work in the back bay. A sign by the shop area read "labor rate, $10 an hr. if you watch $12 if you try to help $14 if you worked on it before you came here $16.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Shell building contractor
Rewards Points: 1,236

A homeowner climbed up a half torn down 1 story scaffold and started painting the cornice on an addition I was building. It collapsed and he broke his leg. I didn't stop worrying about a lawsuit for a couple years.

Last edited by Shellbuilder; 12-04-2014 at 08:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shellbuilder For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 17,813

This happened several years ago. I was at a party and chatting with prospect about giving him a hand on tilework in his master bath. House built in the 1930's. He said he would "have it ready for tile" when I showed up in two weeks.

I arrived to find the entire bathroom gutted to the studs - no walls, no ceilings, no subfloor - nothing. All the tile was there, though.

Edit: Same client. Tile was special-ordered from Italy. I told him he was short bullnose, and how many more to get. He didn't use my number, but counted himself....exactly (a couple fewer). When we finished, we were short a couple bullnose. I was on vacation when they finally arrived, so he installed them himself. They needed to be floated out a bit around a window, but he didn't do that. When he had a party to show off the work, I had to look at those two prominent recessed bullnose....embarrassing. (I wanted to redo them, but he said no.)

Last edited by MarkJames; 12-04-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Head Light Bulb Changer

Trade: Renovation/Home Repair
Rewards Points: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
This is not a home owner story however,it follows the theme. Almost 40 years ago a guy I knew had a gas station and did repair work in the back bay. A sign by the shop area read "labor rate, $10 an hr. if you watch $12 if you try to help $14 if you worked on it before you came here $16.
Love it! Years ago, my buddy had an auto repair shop and had a big sign in his office. It read -

HOURLY LABOR RATES

If you wait $30
If you watch $40
If you help $100
If you worked on it first $150

It still cracks me up every time I think about it, because he was DEAD SERIOUS about it.

Last edited by 66 Shelby; 12-04-2014 at 09:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 66 Shelby For This Useful Post:
fjn (12-06-2014), MarkJames (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 17,813

My buddy was having trouble and wanted some help installing a second, upper appliance shelf above his fridge in the alcove. He wants to be a DIY guy since he bought a new house, and he's accumulating basic tools in the garage. I had compressor and nail gun ready. Cleats and boards were cut and ready.....

"Do you have a level? Go get it."
He brings up one of those B&D laser levels.

"Not that. Just get a regular one." (I should have been more specific)

Then he runs down and brings back a string level...proceeds to show me how it does sit level on a board...."uh, no". (I could have, but no)

So I went out to the van and got my 2', ......got it all done in about 60 seconds or so. Should have seen his face. He previously was trying to install with anchors, working over the fridge without trying to lean on a lower shelf, etc. Pretty funny.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,606

Over twenty years ago I worked for a senior housing agency that granted seniors up to $500.00 for home repairs. One old guy made a suggestion and just as my eyes were done rolling, I said to myself, "Damnit, he's right."

It does happen, but so rarely that I can remember each time it does.

Advertisement