Home Depot And Pallets - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Home Depot And Pallets

Unread Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 293

Home Depot And Pallets

I know I know I should avoid the place but we have been using a lot of quickcrete and they are the closest and cheapest.

When you buy a pallet of quickcrete (42 bags) they charge you a $15 deposit on the pallet. Fine. I get that they want their pallet back. To get your $15 deposit back you have to go to customer service which is on the complete opposite side of the store, wait in line, and is is basically treated like a return.

We have been building a lot of fence and have used over 20 pallets. It usually works out where you use one pallet a day and go get another one in the evening so you are ready to work the next day.

Instead of dealing with the hassle of returning each pallet I thought why not take the one I bought yesterday and give it to them when I load the new pallet of quickcrete I buy today and they can simply not charge me for the pallet today. Just a swap so I don't have to go through the return process. Nope. They can't do that.

They said "there is a $15 pallet fee" I said I have a pallet I bought yesterday on my truck when they load me they can take it so you don't have to charge me. They got all cross eyed and said no we can't do that. We have to charge you and then you can return it.

I said fine then I don't want the pallet have your people take the quickcrete off your pallet and load it on mine. "Let me ask my manager" Manager comes over and says we can't do that it is too much work. I said to him what is the difference if you just load the full pallet on my truck and take the empty one? Round and round we went. No we can't.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Unread Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Home Depot And Pallets

Wow...

Advertisement

Unread Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,298

Can't fix stupid...

Tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
greg24k (Today), rrk (Yesterday), tgeb (Yesterday)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,186

I would expect nothing less from them
I know someone that bought a gas grille from them and was missing a small part. They wanted him to disassemble it, return it for another, and assemble that one.
He bought another one and ripped the box apart right at return desk to get his missing part. Parts were everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
greg24k (Today)
Unread Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 963

Luck of the draw. I've had both excellent and dismal service from the box stores. Just depends on how proactive the particular individuals you're dealing with are.

Specialty supply houses are generally much better in that respect, but you do pay for it. Your choice as to whether it's worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Golden view (Today)
Unread Today, 05:19 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 2,978

Menards doesn’t charge for pallets, I wonder if Lowe’s does. I rarely go to home depot or Lowe’s but I go to Menards a lot for odds and ends stuff and “consumable” tools. A random piece of lumber or trim, Ladders, hardware, snacks, primer, chemicals, a piece of drywall to do a repair, etc. No one can’t beat them on mdf sheets. I actually drop off my pallets I get everywhere else at menards, they happily take them. My flooring/tile supplier can’t give them away.
Unread Today, 05:23 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 2,978

My advice would be to drive your truck up to the loading area, buy your full pallet and tell them to load it up while you go down and return the old one. Hopefully by the time you get back you’ll be loaded up. I’d drop the pallet by the return desk door on your way to the loading area. Then walk down and grab it on your way in.
Unread Today, 05:41 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
My advice would be to drive your truck up to the loading area, buy your full pallet and tell them to load it up while you go down and return the old one. Hopefully by the time you get back youll be loaded up. Id drop the pallet by the return desk door on your way to the loading area. Then walk down and grab it on your way in.
This seems like a faster way to go.
Unread Today, 05:57 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,180

Just save up your pallets.
Then one day when you are slow load them all up and return them all in one shot. 20-30 pallets X$15 worth the trip on a rain day.
greg24k (Today), pinwheel (Today)
Unread Today, 06:23 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,210

I rarely go to home depot. The customer service I get is ridiculous. I needed some Trex fencing. only 16'. I went to the contractor's desk. He looked it up, printed the pages of the components I needed, gave the papers to me and told me to order it online when I get home.
They did it a second time on a commercial entry door. I was done.
I learned, if it's not in stock, forget it.

I would also just save up the pallets. Seems like less time wasted on returning stuff.
Unread Today, 06:33 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 19,757

Do they give a hard time accounting for each one on prior purchases, or just accept them?
Unread Today, 08:00 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 768

Home Depot, Lowes, Menards would be my very last resort for any type of building materials. These places are set up for home owners, not contractors.

A contractor doesn't have time to wander around a multi acre store loading materials, etc. and haggling over pallets. Find a local masonry supply house or a good locally owned lumber yard for that stuff, call in your order and have it delivered to your jobsite. Most places like this will deliver for free if your order is of any size.
Unread Today, 08:09 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 1,133

I wonder if it has anything to with "slippage", as in other businesses. Whereby they offer a rebate, knowing full well, there will be a good percentage of people who don'f follow through with the paperwork to get the rebate, so it's money in their pocket.

In this case, the rebate, is the pallet; people not returning them because it's a hassle.

Or it could just be an accounting thing, and EVERYTHING going in and out of the stores, has to be accounted for. PIA for sure.
Unread Today, 09:47 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 894

I don't buy much bulk stuff from HD, But when I do buy it goes on my commercial card, that way when do returns , just tell them it is on this card , easy doing it that way. No fuss on returns . I do agree it is stupid can't just swap out the pallets each time.
Unread Today, 07:18 PM   #15

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 172

Fishin Dude - They all cater to the homeowner. Which is why the offer roofing, siding, plumbing, new kitchens, counters, HVAC ... and probably fencing too.

Not sure how they work all that though. Does the homeowner pay them and the contractor separately, or do they charge the home owner for both materials and labor, and then pay the tradesman?

My thought has always been that they beat down, the lower quality trades, to basic wages for installation.

Maybe there is someone who can convince me I am wrong?

Advertisement