Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Holy Craigslist!

4K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Bodger 
#1 ·
Put an ad in last night, looking to hire another person.... 84 responses so far. I feel like a chunk of meat thrown to the wild dogs...:laughing: Now I gotta sift through to rubble and try and find a few gems to interview.:thumbsup:

#5 ·
I've said this in a reply to another thread a while back, but it definitely helps. I state clearly in the ad that the applicants must show proof that they can legally work in the U.S. I also state that they will be required to prove that they can immediately identify various framing components such as headers, trimmers, king studs, etc., although I don't specifically state waht those components will be in the ad.
And the best of all, but it can't be used to weed out except in the actual interview. For those who state "general framing experience"...
I hand them a SkilSaw, a blade wrench, and a new blade with the diamond knock-out still in place and ask them to change the blade properly, just as they would do when they work for me. If they can't find the arbor stop, don't know how to punch the knock-out, and don't know that the threads on the arbor are REVERSED, ....end of interview.

#8 ·
we have a test of sorts: how many lines from the Holy Grail can you recite, what is your favorite Marx Brothers movie, can you quote tommy boy. money pit, super troopers,etc.. do you understand the golden mean, fibbonacci sequence, the theory of realtivity and the Loch ness monster... weeds them out right quick....

#15 ·
In early fall we agreed to participate in a government approved program to hire foreign workers. We hired one, who was supposed to start last month. Friday, it turned out that we're supposed to advertise the position to locals first. The agency took it upon themselves to place an add on Saturday. As of 11 AM this morning we've received more than 20 resumes some of which are from well qualified people. Where the hell were they all summer when we needed them?

#17 ·
I knock it out placing it between two blades that are already out and then hitting it with whatever I have.

We have averaged 5 or so "looking for work calls/visits a day for the last 20 years, but I have noticed a slight uptick in walkins looking for work, especially drivers (many of whom are in their company uniform and driving the company truck).

#23 ·
its even worse here in Colorado... I use craigslist alot to advertise my services and have noticed a HUGE amount of "handyman for hire" ad's. Everyone claims they can do just about everything to helping you wrap christmas presents. Its kind of sad compared to how things were this summer. I have placed over 9 ads in the last 2 weeks and have had 3 responses. 1 of which I got the bid for the job (small drywall job).

hopefully things get better... but hey, its a great time to buy used tools on craigslist! I got a brand new dewalt chop saw for 65 dollars the other day... and a nice tile saw for 100.

#24 ·
its even worse here in Colorado... I use craigslist alot to advertise my services and have noticed a HUGE amount of "handyman for hire" ad's. Everyone claims they can do just about everything to helping you wrap christmas presents. Its kind of sad compared to how things were this summer. I have placed over 9 ads in the last 2 weeks and have had 3 responses. 1 of which I got the bid for the job (small drywall job).

hopefully things get better... but hey, its a great time to buy used tools on craigslist! I got a brand new dewalt chop saw for 65 dollars the other day... and a nice tile saw for 100.
Great idea, I need a back-up table saw.

#31 ·
One of the problems in our area and so much of the southwest i'm sure is the huge number of :censored: unlicensed workers and illegals that will work for nothing and take jobs away from those who are legitimate contractors. Craigslist has ads every day from these people. But also one of my favorite things about craigslist is the "Best of Craigslist" section....always good for a laugh. Such as this one:

FOUND - Briefcase w/ Odd Items
Large silver briefcase (metal). No locks. Odd items inside include a 14 inch length of plastic tube about one and a half inches in diameter, a solid rod of plastic about 20 inches long and a little under one and a half inches in diameter. Several tubes of KY jelly (don't ask me, I just found it). Here's the really odd thing: there were five Gerbils in a plastic container with breather holes in it. I put them in a mouse cage with some shredded wood chips, water, and food. Respond to this add so I can return your stuff. If no respone in a week, I'll give the Gerbils to the animal shelter and turn the rest of the stuff over to the Sheriff Dept. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.