HO Skipped Final Payment...help - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

HO Skipped Final Payment...help

Old 05-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #1

Trade: general

HO Skipped Final Payment...help

Hey all. So I am looking for some advice. I was hired to paint a deck for a HO (who is a Ltn. for police). Medium sized deck and I charged a little under a grand with half up front. Our agreement was one coat and just a simple scrubbing. I tried to sell him a full restore job with power washing, replacing bad boards and fixing all lose or raised nails but he insisted just painting. So 12 hours before the job, he decides to change the paint that was in the contract. Within 10 minutes of the job being started the next day, one of the family members of the house comes out and starts insisting it is 2 coats and I needed to hit any raised nails back down In the floor and railings. I explained that wasn't part of the contract and continued to work. After job was complete, HO who signed the contract refused to pay stating that too many nails were sticking out of the wood In the floor and around the railings/banister. I explained that we were under contract and it was only painting. Here's where I'm stuck. I'm a LLC and I have general insurance, I applied MONTHS ago for my state HIC number and I'm still waiting for it. It is home improvement season and I could not hold out any longer.I did not lose much on the job but it just stings (especially since its a public servant) and want to see what my options are.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry; Kitchen & Bath Reno
Rewards Points: 1,016

Re: HO Skipped Final Payment...help

I'm not sure where you are located but I'm assuming HIC is something like Home Improvement Contractor.

If you're working without a license or registration or whatever is required of you and your client knows it he may have you over a barrel. It seems to me like your best option at this point is to set the nails and touch up the paint as necessary.

Not for nothing, if I was hired to paint a deck I would set the nails, even if they didn't pay for other repairs. It's just part of prepping for paint. How many nails are we talking about?

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agility For This Useful Post:
greg24k (05-12-2015), slowsol (05-12-2015), thehockeydman (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #3

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 20

What state?

If you are in Cal. from what I have read, you are out of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to framer55 For This Useful Post:
greg24k (05-12-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

I usually cuss up a storm and knock in the nails. And, I'll always at least button it up a little if it only takes a couple hours. That's what keeps the business coming in
I would never accept the project unless I was going to do it right

Last edited by illbuildit.dd; 05-10-2015 at 06:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illbuildit.dd For This Useful Post:
Golden view (05-10-2015), thehockeydman (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 996

NJ....

and setting nails should have been part of prep.

too much BS.....

change the paint, two coats..sounds like a nickel & dime HO anyways...

hence my tag line....
Jaws (05-11-2015), KAP (05-12-2015), pinwheel (05-10-2015), SmallTownGuy (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,426

If you're working without the required licensing, the courts will be of no help. They cannot enforce an illegal transaction.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #7

Trade: general

The nails in the floor weren't that bad. We sucked it up and hit them in around the floor. The railings and banister were awful though. Thanks for everyones input. I'll put this job in the past and move forward more enlightened and figure Karma with even everything out :-)
Old 05-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

no number no workey..
greg24k (05-12-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,930

I would simply ask what it takes on your part to finish the job to his satisfaction. Then just suck it up and do it and get paid.

What you loose in time and materials will be worth it in saving your reputation.

Is the customer a police officer in the same jurisdiction where you are working? If so a complaint to City Hall on the officer's conduct may get you somewhere, yes their conduct applies off duty too. Suppose to anyway.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 244

You shouldn't have agreed to do a half ass job now you get half payment. But you're dealing with a jerkoff.

Last edited by avenge; 05-11-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,470

knocking those nails in seems like common sense to me. If you start doing stuff half-a$$ed it will be easier to keep doing it that way and others will hear about it. Fix it and talk to the Lt. and smooth this over with him.

I am curious, how long does something like this take? Can't take more than a day does it? Wonder how much materials run for a 'medium' size deck, did the HO provide on his dime?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #12
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

People want a low bid and high quality but they won't tell you that. It's part of the art of contracting; you have to figure what will satisfy the client before you bid and bid accordingly. You also need to learn really fast that some people are cancer and you cannot satisfy them except by LOSING.

When comes to painting, well, I have a saying. The bid is always too high and the work is never good enough.

Had a gc once tell me he expected his dimensional exterior deck grade lumber to look like glass.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #13
PCI

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 848

If it were me, I woyld go to the station where he worked and ask for him by name. If he wasn't there I would leave my name and phone #.

I would spare no sweat in making sure I collected the payment he ageeed to.

I hate d-bags that hide behind a badge/title/position.
The Following User Says Thank You to PCI For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #14
Pro

Rewards Points: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
knocking those nails in seems like common sense to me. if you start doing stuff half-a$$ed it will be easier to keep doing it that way and others will hear about it. Fix it and talk to the lt. And smooth this over with him.

I am curious, how long does something like this take? Can't take more than a day does it? Wonder how much materials run for a 'medium' size deck, did the ho provide on his dime?
bingo!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Had a gc once tell me he expected his dimensional exterior deck grade lumber to look like glass.
That reminds me of the last job I did as an employee in 1989. Last day on the job, 3rd and final coat on woodwork in a remodeled bath. HO starts pointing out things, 1/4" gaps on casing miters, rough areas on #2 pine used as finish trim. I explained that was the carpenter, it's been caulked and spackled that's all I can do. He blamed me for it, the painter.

Called my boss told him the HO is blaming me for the carpenter's shabby work. My boss says to me that I'm causing a problem. Hung up on him, walked off the job went to the office had a few choice words for him and quit.
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #16
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,522

You bang the guy for a grand and you don't even bang a few nails down? If I was him I probably wouldn't pay you also.

What is a simple scrubbing? On the aged deck with nails popping out all over the place don't sound like you can get away doing prep work with a simple scrubbing?

With that said I don't know anyone licensed or even without a license who would take a job staining without doing prep work the right way.

As the payment goes, kiss your money goodbye, he is a cop he knows you have to be licensed to do any home remodeling work if that is a state law, assuming it is because you applied for a license and I'm sure he checked is what they do best.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #17
PCI

Rewards Points: 848

Get off your high horse! Re-read the op. He offered that service you are insisting he do for free. Ho rejected that.

Now if you wamt to offer advice for the future, ny all means suggest away.

What he charges is irrelevant to the situation (as many of you claim-price varies with location etc)

This guy agreed to his price and is now trying to back out. I agree he may not win a court battle, but that avenue ishould never be pursued here.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
I explained that was the carpenter, it's been caulked and spackled that's all I can do. He blamed me for it, the painter.
"A little bit of caulk and a little bit of paint make a carpenter everything he ain't".
Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #19
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 17,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
no number no workey..
Not so!

Fear not, OP, you may be ok.

Assuming you're in Jersey, you should be legit the moment they cash your check, which if I know Jersey they did instantly.
Pay attention to the receipt you got from Consumer Affairs. It should say something on it staying that your number is applied to you as soon as you are entered in the system(cashed check) and that you can work before your physical card arrives.
This puts you on better legal standing, but probably won't help you get your money.
Can you go back and negotiate for setting the nails and adding a second coat, while pointing out the outstanding debt and your right to lien based on the contract?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,602

crooked thumbs:

You need to step back and take a bigger view. This non-payment stings right now, but how large of a percentage of your yearly gross is it? 2%? 4%? That's how you have to look at these things.

As I look back on the times I've been burned, many times it was my own fault. People like this give all kinds of warning signs and you've just paid tuition at the school with the class in how to detect them. Take notes and move on.

Advertisement