Help, I Just Started An Apprenticeship (25yrs) And My Family Is Poor. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Help, I Just Started An Apprenticeship (25yrs) And My Family Is Poor.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:29 AM   #1

Trade: Apprentice
Rewards Points: 22
Arrow

Help, I Just Started An Apprenticeship (25yrs) And My Family Is Poor.

I'm based in Australia, I know there is government loans and reduced government car costs plus tax subsidies on fuel, work clothes and tools.
--
How ever, myself and my family are struggling to pay for things. Our bills are high - not unnecessarily just an expensive part of the world. My dad was a builder who has stopped working for various reasons and is having a hard time finding work at age 60, my mother works but not great pay. I have a negative bank account balance.

I have thought of many things I can do to improve income and savings as an apprentice plumber, so I've googled and researched and got a few things I'm going to try. But I want some advice, how do I make more money or save more? I've got heaps of ideas already, just want some of your advice or other ideas? I can continue my father's remodelling business, but I need to get the customers first...he has his contractors licence and I think this would be an option in terms of managing the process and getting some decent $

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 05:32 AM   #2
Design/Build

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,376

Re: Help, I Just Started An Apprenticeship (25yrs) And My Family Is Poor.

Stick with plumbing, get your license and start your own plumbing company down the road.

In the meantime;
1. Be the best plumber/employee
2. Ask for over-time
3. Work a part-time job to supplement your income

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NJ Contractor For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (02-26-2020), Joasis (02-27-2020), TxElectrician (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 1,236

NJ nailed it.

Not making enough to make it with one job, get 2, or ask for more hours.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (02-26-2020), Deckhead (02-26-2020), Joasis (02-27-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #4
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 20,268

Cut expenditures.

You ever hear the phrase, "you might have to tighten your belt?"

People really used to skip eating in order to save up. Buy a 25 pound bag of rice and a 25 pound bag of beans. Cook them together and eat it for every meal for a month. I guarantee you'll save money. Probably lose some weight too!

Working more is great, but it always seemed like diminishing returns after a point to me.
I've done better saving.

Good luck. This will be a distant memory in a couple short years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
Fatmike (02-26-2020), Joasis (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 10:37 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 1,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
Buy a 25 pound bag of rice and a 25 pound bag of beans. .
The guy lives in Australia
Old 02-26-2020, 11:12 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,725

I’m going to guess you’re in your early 20’s so I’m going to speak frankly. I’ve had about four beers that are 9% alcohol so please forgive me if I come across a little harsh.

If you’re wasting an hour a day googling and instead spent an hour a day knocking on your neighbors stores offering to fix anything they can’t, you’d probably be a couple hundred dollars richer.

I once got into a very heated contest with my father. He had a roofing and gutter company and I thought I knew more than he did. As you might imagine, he won contest because he signed the checks. Long story short, I quickly became unemployed. I went out knocking on doors with my little Ford ranger pick up truck and a 24 foot ladder. I was stubborn as a mule. I offered to clean rain gutters for $25 a house. At the end of the day I had $200. This was in the late 90s.

The jobs absolutely sucked. I knew I was working too cheap but I intentionally went to a very nice neighborhood on a golf course. I knew at the time they were paying $60-$90 to a reputable company to have their gutters cleaned. I also knew they couldn’t say no to 60% off.

This went on for a few weeks until I made enough money to send out 10,000 direct mail coupons with the local Valpak service. Google it, I’m sure you don’t have it in Australia but if you have something similar it worked well for me as long as the price was super low.

The point I’m making is that every minute that you are not working is a minute you could SHOULD be working. Making $1 an hour is better than making $0 an hour.

I can speak for every member of this forum when I tell you that a negative bank account is the biggest motivator to stop thinking about your big plans and instead thinking about getting your butt to work. You don’t need the greatest business idea there ever was that’s going to make the highest profit per hour anyone has ever seen. You just need to start making a profit. PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.

Don’t lose sight of the forest for the trees. But it this point you couldn’t find a tree with both hands if you had too, much less a forest.

Find something to occupy your time regardless of how hard you have to swallow your pride. As we say in the south, idle hands are the devils playground. Proverbs 16:27. (I had to google it)

Last edited by WBailey1041; 02-26-2020 at 11:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WBailey1041 For This Useful Post:
Easy Gibson (02-27-2020), Joasis (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 11:25 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,892

Well said wbailey.....

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
WBailey1041 (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 11:29 PM   #8
Pro

But he lives in Australia
Old 02-26-2020, 11:36 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman/ Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 28

I agree 100%
Old 02-26-2020, 11:58 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
But he lives in Australia
Iím not picking up what you are putting down
Attached Thumbnails
Help, I just started an apprenticeship (25yrs) and my family is poor.-d7bb1b89-2c68-43a0-8d22-3392a5007caf.jpeg  

Last edited by WBailey1041; 02-27-2020 at 12:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WBailey1041 For This Useful Post:
hdavis (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 12:21 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBailey1041 View Post
Iím not picking up what you are putting down
Most of the people there live on or near the coast. Just like here.
My kid put himself through under gard school by free diving and shooting fish. Good money in fish, he and his buddy could shoot 300$ in fish before lunch. Plus they were having a good time!
Attached Thumbnails
Help, I just started an apprenticeship (25yrs) and my family is poor.-gopr0461.jpg  
KAP (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 05:30 AM   #12
Design/Build

Rewards Points: 1,376

When I started out as an electrical apprentice in the early 1990's, I delivered pizza 5-6 nights a week. I made $9 per hour doing electrical and $20-$30 per hour delivering pizza.

Do what you have to do to survive but make sure you keep your eye on where you want to be in the future.

And lower your expenses as much as possible.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,320

Quote:
Iím going to guess youíre in your early 20ís so Iím going to speak frankly. Iíve had about four beers that are 9% alcohol so please forgive me if I come across a little harsh.

If youíre wasting an hour a day googling and instead spent an hour a day knocking on your neighbors stores offering to fix anything they canít, youíd probably be a couple hundred dollars richer.

I once got into a very heated contest with my father. He had a roofing and gutter company and I thought I knew more than he did. As you might imagine, he won contest because he signed the checks. Long story short, I quickly became unemployed. I went out knocking on doors with my little Ford ranger pick up truck and a 24 foot ladder. I was stubborn as a mule. I offered to clean rain gutters for $25 a house. At the end of the day I had $200. This was in the late 90s.

The jobs absolutely sucked. I knew I was working too cheap but I intentionally went to a very nice neighborhood on a golf course. I knew at the time they were paying $60-$90 to a reputable company to have their gutters cleaned. I also knew they couldnít say no to 60% off.

This went on for a few weeks until I made enough money to send out 10,000 direct mail coupons with the local Valpak service. Google it, Iím sure you donít have it in Australia but if you have something similar it worked well for me as long as the price was super low.

The point Iím making is that every minute that you are not working is a minute you could SHOULD be working. Making $1 an hour is better than making $0 an hour.

I can speak for every member of this forum when I tell you that a negative bank account is the biggest motivator to stop thinking about your big plans and instead thinking about getting your butt to work. You donít need the greatest business idea there ever was thatís going to make the highest profit per hour anyone has ever seen. You just need to start making a profit. PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.

Donít lose sight of the forest for the trees. But it this point you couldnít find a tree with both hands if you had too, much less a forest.

Find something to occupy your time regardless of how hard you have to swallow your pride. As we say in the south, idle hands are the devils playground. Proverbs 16:27. (I had to google it)

Excellent post!

In my little town, a guy with basic tools and ambition can make it as a handlyman. I know guys that could do $200 a day, every day, doing the crap no one else wanted to do. Hang a storm door? $50. Powerwash the outside of a house? $100. Fix the backyard fence? $100. Paint a room....$100. On and on.

Yeah, you are killing it against established contractors, but in an eat or starve scenario, do whatever it takes. Once you have the license, you will have a path to a decent living.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 02-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #14
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 20,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
The guy lives in Australia
There's no rice in Australia?

What do they eat there, bamboo or something? I don't know, just get whatever the cheapest thing that will keep you alive is. We've all done it.
Throw some peas in that Ramen. It'll get you to tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,320

I was poor once, and I do know how to eat on the cheap. Hot dogs, bologna, mac and cheese, roman noodles....yep, been there, done that. College was tough for a few years.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 02-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
There's no rice in Australia?

What do they eat there, bamboo or something? I don't know, just get whatever the cheapest thing that will keep you alive is. We've all done it.
Throw some peas in that Ramen. It'll get you to tomorrow.
See post #11
Old 02-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #17

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 30

Quote:
I went out knocking on doors with my little Ford ranger pick up truck and a 24 foot ladder.
How do you get a 24' ladder on a Ford Ranger? You must have avoided gas stations and speed bumps/

Advertisement