Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Has this ever happened to you?

7K views 53 replies 40 participants last post by  larryb 
#1 ·
Employee of mine, got into a fight with his nail gun, and lost. That tough SOB pulled it out with a pair of pliers, wrapped his finger in tape, and went back to work. Check it out.

See less See more
#7 ·
I shot myself in the palm last summer building a set of stairs. It was the first time and hopefully the last. It didn't go through but it didn't feel very good that's for sure. The worst was that I finished the stairs that day and then had to dig out 7 tonnes of dirt by hand for another set of stairs I built along side a house with no bobcat access.

#10 ·
Nailed three fingers together once. Pulled my fingers off the nail that was through a stud and kept working.

Had one enter my hand, on the side, just below my thumb, it exited on the other side, just below my pinkie finger. That one was surgically removed. The head was buried below the skin, tried to push it back out with pliers but it wouldn't go.

#13 ·
I had a guy do that with a staple wacker once. Wasn't the brightest bulb in the fixture.

We were working at a BK setting new fascia and he was reinstalling their ad signs at the end of the day. He was getting so pissed at the drive thru customers and he yelled back at one "just hold on a damn minute!" While at the same time slapping that thing full bore... into his index and middle finger.

All my foreman could do was laugh his head off cause he had been telling him to pay attention the whole time.

He said "get the pliers!" And when my foreman was about to he just kept screaming "NOT YET! NOT YET!"

Long story short they agreed to go on a 3 count, foreman went on 2.

Surprisingly he did show up the next day after some stitches.

#17 ·
My closest call would have been a staple coming through the edge of some 1x as I was framing some scenery. Didn't break skin though, just banged me pretty good. I'm always careful to have my hand further away from where the fastener is going than the fastener is long.

I was always amused when in college the freshman actors in the tech class were afraid of the tiny upholstery stapler. Most things were assembled with staples then so we didn't us the framing nailer or the Corg gun much

#22 · (Edited)
I had almost the same exact injury. Except it was 2 nails, one high and one low, double shot FTW... I pulled them out easy enough then I took lunch afterwards and my hand was throbbing so bad. I went back to work and picked up the gun and noticed the nails in it were rusty as hell. I couldn't remember the last time I had a tetanus shot so I told the foreman I need to go the emergency room.

I didn't think I broke anything but an x-ray revealed that I clipped the bone and scorped it out. I needed a cast for a month.

#25 ·
I was lucky this didn't happen on my jobsite. My employee was working in his basement, when the framing nailer double shot, and hit him in the finger.

The official story is, that he was joking around taking pictures for a good 10 minutes before pulling it out. He's one crazy dude. I'd be screaming bloody murder.

#26 ·
Wouldn't of mattered.. Its all about character.. If he took the time. O take pictures and make a joke of it.. You never had worries s.. I remember being on a jobsite cutting open bundles with a dulled blade.. Struggling across the straps.. Cut one.. Iet go and i stabbed myself in the forearm..... I tied it off an installed 700sf that day... Next day sore as fu ck and till went to work..... I never made a claim

#30 ·
I did one real similar to that but it was in my thumb, pulled it out and worked late...Throbbed the next day. Wish I'd had a camera phone back then (this was 11-12 years ago), I always said that if it happened again I'd put a make it a piercing... Then this happened and I decided it would not be a convenient place to have a piercing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.