Habla Espanlo? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Habla Espanlo?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Habla Espanlo?

I know of some that want to learn or have learned Spanish to speak with their help.

Me? I'd like to know enough to understand what they're possible saying behind my back or catch them planning a 'short-cut'.

Other than that, I feel that if they came here to work and live, it's up to them to understand English.

I wouldn't go to Russia and expect my new boss there to learn English to hire me.

Just rambling and throwing it out there after reading about some mis-communications here and there, and subs that don't understad the language or instructions.

Last edited by tinner666; 12-11-2008 at 10:57 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Habla Espanlo?

Sorta, kinda sounds like an admittance of the hiring of Illegals.

Uh-Oh!

:

Advertisement

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE

Last edited by MALCO.New.York; 12-11-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Pro

You mean me? I have 0 employees.

I have subbed out work and found spanish speaking people on a job when I went to check on the work. And nobody could talk to me.

On large projects, with many trades around, I find the same scenario all around me and can't communicate either my needs to make the jobs flow, or their needs on my part..
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

I was just being me!!! No harm or insult intended.

I speak enough Spanish to communicate about tools, tasks, time and termination (as in, " your fired!!! ").

I have found that just asking a bilingual how to say whatever is usually quote effective. Communication need not be "proper and formal", it just need be effective. Just the basics.

As for the "behind the back" thing......

That is why I learned how to terminate in Espanol!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 12-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALCO.New.York View Post
Sorts, kinda sounds like an admittance of the hiring of Illegals.
YEAH it does...

Call me a Black Man Bigot but uh.. although I believe that everyone has a right to work, at the same time fair is fair. Everyone that works for me HAS to speak English.. it might be Bad English, Cajun English, Bronx Spanglish, Patois, or even Runglish (Russian & English) but the bottom line is that they've got to have enough paperwork to prove they didn't just jump a fence or stowaway on a boat to get here.

People before Profit. That's what it's all about. People before Profit.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

ESL 100 (English as Second Language) for foreigners' tounges ofcourse.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

I have a new paradigm for those people, who put forth effort in the most minimal way, to argue, bitch or otherwise fight the effort of people who come to this country to better their family's situation as ALL of our families did at one point in time in the history of this country.

Just because the laws became more cumbersome to legally become a citizen doesn't mean that people do not have a right to better themselves when opportunity presents itself. If you believe that it does, then I believe you may be listening to the politicians who are telling you what to think.

About 10 years ago, I had to take a look at the problems that I faced everyday in the contracting business:

Excuses,

Bad habits that were not about to change with any amount of a raise,

Hangovers,

Bad attitudes,

Incomplete work,

Creators of dissension who caused it when they didn't get their way,

Call backs (who makes money on those?),

Tardiness,

Leaving the job early but signing out at 3:30

And smoking pot on the job.

These problems were in addition to the regular challenges of daily life in this business and IMO, unnecessary. So I tried something different than what all others were doing.

I knew the latinos were moving in, albeit slowly at that time (Alabama) because I was seeing them more and more and they were not fitting into regular society. I could tell they were here to work as they gathered in the same places every morning. Later I would learn that they were looking for work. I was a little nieve at that time (26yrs.) So, when I got the jist of what was going on, I made my decision.

I hired a tutor to help me brush up on basic skills I had learned in high school and college, but never really used. I studied for three months untill I was comfortable with communicationg in restaurants and with anyone who listen to me practice. This was the hard part and the part that no one really wants to tackle. I understand that unwillingness. But, those three months of studying and my friends laughing at me relentlessly eventually paid off.

I found a few guys and brought them in one at a time. Bring one in and let go of one of the headaches. I did this until the my crews went from black and white to brown and all the headaches listed above began to fade away. Life was good.

You know what else happened? Everytime a new latino guy came on board and saw this gringo who had gone to the trouble of learning a little of their culture and language and was TRYING to help them as he helped himself, the look on his face was always the same. Surprise. Surprise because they thought ALL Americans were biased against them and racist. I knew then that that had been the right decision. There lives were better and so was mine because my headaches went away and profit went up.

Each person I hired (black, white, latino, and even eastern europeans) had to have a green card/SS card and a driver's liscense, no exceptions. It was all legal, even though I had to turn down some guys who were probably pretty good.

My point of bringing this up is that we can do better together than we can dvided, as human beings. It's not a matter of beuarocratic law that was derived from a perverted political process created by people trying to buy votes in order to keep themselves in office and power. I can hear the politicians in my head over and over "Don't let these illegals take what is rightfully yours, vote for me-me-me and I won't let these people take your job!"

That's bull**** and anyone who is in business for themselves know it. Survival of the fittest. If you are too lazy to do the work that needs to be done, I will find someone else to do it. If you think you are worth more than you really are, I will find someone else to help me reach my goals. That is what we all say to ourselves.

BTW, I started all these guys out at regular wage and some of them wound up making more than what the "experienced" workers were making at the time they were let go. Better workers are not cheaper workers, just better, more productive and more profitable workers. And they appreciate that respect more than the others.

Off rant.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Painter

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
I have a new paradigm for those people, who put forth effort in the most minimal way, to argue, bitch or otherwise fight the effort of people who come to this country to better their family's situation as ALL of our families did at one point in time in the history of this country.
The big differance here is that my ancestors came here legally and did it the proper way. I could give to craps if someone comes here to better their situation, but do it legally atleast.

And don't even get me started on the ID theft aspect of illegal immigration.

Now back to our original topic!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivinni View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman2125 View Post
The big differance here is that my ancestors came here legally and did it the proper way. I could give to craps if someone comes here to better their situation, but do it legally atleast.

And don't even get me started on the ID theft aspect of illegal immigration.

Now back to our original topic!!!
...keep reading...

Quote:
Each person I hired (black, white, latino, and even eastern europeans) had to have a green card/SS card and a driver's liscense, no exceptions. It was all legal, even though I had to turn down some guys who were probably pretty good.
Apparently Ivinni's people are legit.

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
Pro

No offense taken Malco!

Ivinni;
"Just because the laws became more cumbersome to legally become a citizen doesn't mean that people do not have a right to better themselves when opportunity presents itself. If you believe that it does, then I believe you may be listening to the politicians who are telling you what to think."

That isn't an issue. I DO know some south of the border folks and have no complaint there. They are fine people.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
Pro

"You know what else happened? Everytime a new latino guy came on board and saw this gringo who had gone to the trouble of learning a little of their culture and language and was TRYING to help them as he helped himself, the look on his face was always the same. Surprise. Surprise because they thought ALL Americans were biased against them and racist. I knew then that that had been the right decision. There lives were better and so was mine because my headaches went away and profit went up."
Good point and I agree, but resist!

"Now back to our original topic!!!"
Old 12-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
Painter

Celtic,

That maybe true on paper but does Ivinni check out these forms of identification to make sure they are legit???? SS# and DL are easy for ID thieves to produce for illegals.

Being trained in ID theft prevention, I've heard lectures from ID thieves that have changed their ways after getting caught. They would buy stolen SS#'s in bulk and then sell them to illegal immigrants. SS cards just took a blank card and a typewriter. A DL are easy to get also. Here in ohio someone actually stole a DL machine from a BMV and was producing false ID's

Sorry tinner don't mean to highjack your thread
Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
...snip...

My point of bringing this up is that we can do better together than we can dvided, as human beings. ...snip...
For the most part, this is all the paperwork I need to see. The rest is all about each person's own merits and work ethics, the stuff that *no* kinda paperwork, certificates, diplomas or degrees can accurately show.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster

Quote:
Celtic,

That maybe true on paper but does Ivinni check out these forms of identification to make sure they are legit????
How would you suggest that be done?

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
Painter

There are ways to cross check ss#'s through the government entity that issues them, and your state BMV should be able to cross check DL's by the DL #. Not saying that it is a easy process though.

What I was getting at though is that just because these people provide these forms of ID doesn't mean they are not fraudulent (this goes for anyone not just illegals). With ID theft increasing every year it is becoming easier to produce these documents fraudulently.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
How would you suggest that be done?
And who are you checking just the latinos or ALL the guys you hire

Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Celtic,

That maybe true on paper but does Ivinni check out these forms of identification to make sure they are legit???? SS# and DL are easy for ID thieves to produce for illegals.

Being trained in ID theft prevention, I've heard lectures from ID thieves that have changed their ways after getting caught. They would buy stolen SS#'s in bulk and then sell them to illegal immigrants. SS cards just took a blank card and a typewriter. A DL are easy to get also. Here in ohio someone actually stole a DL machine from a BMV and was producing false ID's

Good observation/advice. Here's latest news Washingtonpost.com links (Chertoff (Homeland Security Secretary) unknowing hired illegal cleaning maids (for cleaning his home) with faked SSN# & ID cards passing through Secret Service checkpoint ??? >>)

Cleaning Firm Used Illegal Workers at Chertoff Home

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121003524.html

Some quotes.. "Now, owner James D. Reid finds himself in a predicament that he considers especially confounding. In October, he was fined $22,880 after U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement investigators said he failed to check identification and work documents and fill out required I-9 verification forms for employees, five of whom he said were part of crews sent to Chertoff's home and whom ICE told him to fire because they were undocumented."

Last edited by SelfContract; 12-11-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
Pro

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnv.htm
Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #19
Painter

I do not have to check anyone because it has just been me. I think I am me,but not sure sometimes. Now if I do find the need to start hiring employees everyone would be checked. I didn't mean to insinuate that only latinos should be checked.

Thanks for the link Tinner

Last edited by camaroman2125; 12-11-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Celtic,

For what it's worth, most ID Theft is only useful for some form of Bank Fraud or Credit Card fraud. When it comes to "illegals" trying to get the paperwork necessary to "live and work without worry", there are better methods to use. Fake Driver's Licenses are far too easy to detect in a number of ways and every day they are becoming easier, even in states where they don't use schemes like holograms and such. Notorized copies of birth certificates used to work well back in the 80s but computers, the Internet and 9/11 has shut all that down for good. Lastly, using someone else's SS# is about the equivalent of driving a stolen car aorund town with out of state tags -- bound to become a problem sooner or later. Because of the conflicting data reported to the sources, anyone using that SS# will eventually have to have a Coming-to-Jesus meeting with the IRS and their State/Local Tax people -- and for anyone involved it'll either get ugly or it's time to go on the run (again).

Advertisement