The Great Tip And Trick Thread - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

The Great Tip And Trick Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 01:58 AM   #1
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Rewards Points: 2,000

The Great Tip And Trick Thread

Because we've migrated to tips and tricks, I thought a thread on tricks would be cool.

Stack roof sheathing neatly, use black magic marker to scribe all edges 24OC at once. Hell of a time saver.

When cutting shingles. Set full shingle on top key down, flip right to left so as the bottoms up, slide to desired position, cut at last shingle flip back and nail.....perfect fit. A roofer measuring cut shingles or hooking a rake makes me sad to pay him.

Before hanging a board of drywall, run lipstick around electric openings, press drywall to wall gently, remove and cut from the back with rotozip. This is also a good way to utilize your less competent help.

If sex becomes boring, wait until mid way, then tell her ya slept with her sister.......giddeeeup!

Bob

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpenter by trade, lead man for commercial GC...
Rewards Points: 500

Re: The Great Tip And Trick Thread

All good tips!!! But instead of the lipstick thing why not just put the sheet of drywall up with a couple of screws and use a guide bit on your rotozip to cut around the electrical box??? And half way through if I told her I slept with her sister it would be Gideeup alright (she would gideeup right out of bed and be gone) !!!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
(she would gideeup right out of bed and be gone) !!!
And would NEVER forget!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: general building and masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
And would NEVER forget!
...neither would her sls
Old 11-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshousebltr View Post
Because Before hanging a board of drywall, run lipstick around electric openings, press drywall to wall gently, remove and cut from the back with rotozip. This is also a good way to utilize your less competent help.
I've done that same thing for marking a deadbolt latch plate. Put lipstick on the end of the deadbolt and turn the knob so that it presses tightly against the jamb.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Historic Restorations
Rewards Points: 288

I always colour my drywall mud and spackel. Much easier to see. Use carpenters glue (brown) to seal knots.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

Great tip painterman! Wonder why I never thought of that. I would think that any waterproof glue would work, like TiteBond II or III.

Albert Einstein
Old 11-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Pro

Tite Bond 11 and 111 seem to work the best. Since I starting using this method I have never had a knot burn through. I use glue on rust stains and tannin bleed. Works everytime.A paint chemist turned me on to the glue thing
Old 11-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Pro

Baby power on weather strip stops a freshly painted door from sticking.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:53 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Builder, Additions, large remodels...Lately also s
Rewards Points: 504

For the guys who aren't so fast at doing math in your head, if you need to cut a measurement in half (to get a center mark) pull your tape out to the full distance, fold your tape over and touch the dumb end to the number of your measurment, then look at the center of the fold in your tape, it'll be exactly half and is easy to tell down to a 16th.

Cut a disk of formica (you can also buy these) exactly 2 3/8" in diameter, put some construction adhesive on it then stick it to the side of your tape measure. Perfect for writing measurments so you don't forget your numbers or having to carry a block of wood or pad with you.

A nice little tool I picked up recently is something called a Big Lug. It's got bungee bands with a plastic ball on one end of one piece and the other piece is a belt style clip with a receptacle for the ball. Put the bungee around the handle of any hand tool (drills and nail guns especially) and then it will easily hang from your belt or bags. Comes in and out really slick. Makes any job where you need to put that hand tool down often much faster and it's great for ladder work.

Wack
Old 11-26-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
carpenter and builder

Trade: carpenter and builder
Rewards Points: 150

If youve got to divide a piece of material in two ( or 3 or 4 etc) and the measurement is "awkward" , eg you measure a board and its 11 5/8 " and you gotta cut it in half, just skew the tape until its on 12" and then mark at 6". If you had to cut into three you could mark at 4 and 8 etc.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Always tell your pregnant wife that she looks great.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #13
Home Improvement Guy

Trade: Renovations contractor

[QUOTE]Before hanging a board of drywall, run lipstick around electric openings, press drywall to wall gently, remove and cut from the back with rotozip. This is also a good way to utilize your less competent help.

What color should I use?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #14
Flooring? What's that?

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 150

Red is your color ron

After installing any hardwood flooring ... take the sawdust from the bags of your saws and sprinkle it over the entire floor ..... then rub it into the floor ... this fills any small gaps and imperfections of mill cuts ... then sweep it up and viola ... perfect floor
Old 11-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Carpenter by trade, lead man for commercial GC...

For you painters, I always carry a couple of bottles of white out (you know, the correction fluid for when you make a spelling error) with me. If you encounter pen or crayon marks on a wall just cover with white out and seals it perfectly!!! No need to prime with special primer... Ink usually bleeds through everything but the white out seals in one little stroke !!!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

Old timer tricks with a plumb bob.

Chandalier placement; measure across table with string, fold in half and place a dime on the table. Drop the bob from the ceiling and mark.

Plumbing a door; hang the bob a few inches from the frame and measure out to it as you shim.

Albert Einstein
Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 662

Anytime you work with sheet steel, like R panels in roofing, or walls, and want perfet screw lines, mark the sheets on the ground before they go in the air....speeds the installation plus no string line or chalkline used.

We screw our concrete forms together now with GRK Torx screws....vaseline in the head prevents concrete from sticking, and the forms can be disassembled easily...no more duplex nails.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 11-27-2006, 09:29 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
Anytime you work with sheet steel, like R panels in roofing, or walls, and want perfet screw lines, mark the sheets on the ground before they go in the air....speeds the installation plus no string line or chalkline used.
When I'm putting steel roofs on I drill the holes while the steel is in a stack on the ground all lined up nice and even.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 11-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #19

Mix sawdust with elmer's. Heavy on the sawdust, just enough glue to hold it together. Use the dust from the wood your filling if possible. This is a great fill that does stain without standing out if mixed right. Sands too.

Easy on the glue killer! Just a lil dab'l do ya.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: kitchen cabinet maker and installer

I use a Festool plunge saw and guide rail system extensively, especially on site where I find it invaluable. I find it works much better if I don't stand on the cord

John

Advertisement