Got Boned By The Building Dept - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Got Boned By The Building Dept

Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Got Boned By The Building Dept

Got boned real good this week by the Denver building dept.

Monday the electrical inspector doesn't show for his inspection. Tuesday is memorial day, shows up Wed, says he went to the wrong house on Monday. That cost me about $250.00

Wed drywall inspector shows up and fails us for DensShield, my guy (Im not there) does his best to soft shoe with the guy, inspector tells him to tell your boss to learn the freakn code, acts like a total ass hole. Tells my guy as of August 1st Denver adopted no DensShield in wet areas must be cement board, tell your boss to learn this crap and stop wasting my time.

Lead calls me and I'm doing 10 different things so we say, screw it, my mistake now we know, pick up cement board and drop by the site, he rips down the DS and reinstalls cement board. That cost me about $200.00

Thursday - guys get to stand around with fingers up ass waiting for re- inspection, (cost another $250) he finally makes an appearance at 4:00. Different inspector, see that we failed the day before we tell him why, he looks confused. He calls his supervisor, they come to a consensus that maybe, possibly, could be that previous inspector was confused. DS is okay. Thinks he is confusing the 2006 change to the IRC that denies green board in wet area.

F(#)#)King nice, real nice. Not only do we get a moron inspector with attitude, but even this one and his boss aren't completely sure if DS has been outlawed or not.

Who do I send the bill to for the $700 in direct costs to me for this? Obama?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Trailer park boy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 371

Re: Got Boned By The Building Dept

If only inspectors took liabilitiy for the shi*t they spew.

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Ouch! that sucks man. I might be inclined to call down to the building dept. and ask to speak to a supervisor, start it out as a question about the use of DS. Then, let him or her know about the communication problems they are having. Maybe drop a hint about the costs they have caused you to incur. Just my $.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Trailer park boy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 371

I've had inspectors and building depts approve plans, approve the footing inspection, then come back 10 min after the inspection and say, "no, sorry, but that doesn't pass, start over" with NO consideration for the work or money already spent... they take NO responsibility. For anything.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Pro

Oh I forgot to mention that drywall inspector # 2 gave us sh*t too for doing a tape layer on the corners trying to make up some lost time for 2 lost days caused by them. There are plenty of freak'n screws for you to count dude.

Did I also mention this week I got to spend 5 hours with 300 other smelly, loser bastard miscreants fellow citizens in a holding room for jury duty this week?

And I got a bad hair cut today before my vacation starts!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Oh I forgot to mention that drywall inspector # 2 gave us sh*t too for doing a tape layer on the corners trying to make up some lost time for 2 lost days caused by them. There are plenty of freak'n screws for you to count dude.

Did I also mention this week I got to spend 5 hours with 300 other smelly, loser bastard miscreants fellow citizens in a holding room for jury duty this week?

And I got a bad hair cut today before my vacation starts!
Goosfraba....Goosfraba! I am with you on the inspector but I am glad you are going on vacation because sounds like it is well desrvered!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: contractor

well, like the man says --- maybe you need to LEARN THE DAMN CODES

seriously though - why are you having guys standing around waiting on an inspector all day??? I can see that if you need a guy to hang around just to unlock the HO's house for the inspector. But, if you're providing that service --- you're charging for it. Otherwise - they need to be on another job (or working at other tasks on the same job, if applicable)

Inspector going to the wrong house - well, what can ya do??

Also, when an inspector tells you to rip something out - you damn well need to find out exactly what the code is. Your lead/foreman whoever needs more time dealing with inspectors. "I'm going to need to talk with your supervisor about this" ...

Start paying your G.O.B.N. dues too, HAHAHA

(hey, you posted it )

Last edited by dirt diggler; 11-13-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
Pro

The only good part is our customer is this really cool retired guy, total marine relic, anti-establishment total independent self made man, type, tough as nails, chain smoking, coffee drinking, swearing machine.

He offered to dig the hole in the back yard for the body. Said something about he thought he had an old bag of lime in the basement.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt diggler View Post
Start paying your G.O.B.N. dues too, HAHAHA

??????????????

Agreed though, guys need to learn
the Jerry McGuire....
"Show me the code."
Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
well, like the man says --- maybe you need to LEARN THE DAMN CODES

seriously though - why are you having guys standing around waiting on an inspector all day??? I can see that if you need a guy to hang around just to unlock the HO's house for the inspector. But, if you're providing that service --- you're charging for it. Otherwise - they need to be on another job (or working at other tasks on the same job, if applicable)
Be nice, but we don't pull off jobs for 1 day and hop on another for 1 day and them come back to the first. Normally isn't a problem, we are a well oiled ma-chine in regard to running on schedule and have a system that allows us to bang out jobs in a linear fashion, effectively and make our customers fall in love with us at the same time. . Like any precision machine you throw a rod out and the whole thing goes to sh*t, which is exactly what this was all about.

Quote:
Also, when an inspector tells you to rip something out - you damn well need to find out exactly what the code is. Your lead/foreman whoever needs more time dealing with inspectors. "I'm going to need to talk with your supervisor about this" ...
We had a conversation about a few things to do next time. (show me where it is written please next time) but I'm not about to hold it against a guy for doing his best in the situation. The buck stops with me not the boys.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Sounds like a bad week, to be sure...at least now you've vented and got it off your chest.

And I realize I'm in the minority on this board regarding Republicans, but either you're making a joke here or you're so far off the reservation, ain't no one able to follow you. Obama? WTF? He was in charge when those codes were created? You give the man far too much credit.

Mac
Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: contractor

Obama? Republicans

wait?

this isn't the P&R section?

Mike Finley - I wondered why you were gettin so far off topic with your damn contractin drama

I better get back down to the basement. I thought it smelled like wood up here

(Neo ... Good Ole Boy Network)
Old 11-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #13

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekw1 View Post
I've had inspectors and building depts approve plans, approve the footing inspection, then come back 10 min after the inspection and say, "no, sorry, but that doesn't pass, start over" with NO consideration for the work or money already spent... they take NO responsibility. For anything.
You can fight that sort of thing. If something is on the print and the print get's stamped by the building department plan review then that means that if you build exactly as specified in the plans the inspector, more than likely, has the pass it. Just cause he doesn't like it doesn't mean that he is right.

I went through it working out of town last year with some mechanical plans. Inspector didn't like it, so we both went downtown to their office and went over it with his boss and the engineer there. Engineer stood by his approval and we were fine.

As far as this:
Quote:
Wed drywall inspector shows up and fails us for DensShield, my guy (Im not there) does his best to soft shoe with the guy, inspector tells him to tell your boss to learn the freakn code, acts like a total ass hole. Tells my guy as of August 1st Denver adopted no DensShield in wet areas must be cement board, tell your boss to learn this crap and stop wasting my time.
goes.

I would have called the supervisor as soon as I heard about it. I don't have time to deal with ass holes like that. Everyone wants to pander to inspectors and I don't get it. They aren't gods of construction. Even if you were in the wrong with the DS that inspector still has to maintain a professional attitude. YOU are the customer of the building department after all. I have done it a couple of times and got no future repercussions. In fact the next time I saw one of them he was just as nice as can be. I even did it to a TN OSHA inspector... that girl got fired.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:10 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,024

I once had a plan checker with the LA building department sign off on tearing down the entire house, leaving one chunk of concrete tied into a grade beam, and still maintain the ability to call it a re-model. Issued the permit as a remodel on that basis.

He signed off on every line foot of new foundation and framing. The first inspector that came to the site refused to look at anything, told me I was red-tagged and all construction had to cease and desist until I got a permit for new construction, not remodel. This inspector would not even look at the stamped plans.

Finally got it straightened out, but cost me a few days of down time and a few pissed off subs that had to reschedule. These guys can be real buttheads.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:25 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
Sounds like a bad week, to be sure...at least now you've vented and got it off your chest.

And I realize I'm in the minority on this board regarding Republicans, but either you're making a joke here or you're so far off the reservation, ain't no one able to follow you. Obama? WTF? He was in charge when those codes were created? You give the man far too much credit.

Mac
Good reference.

The inspector cost Finley a lot of money, Obama is going to cost all of us a lot of money.

One (or more) of the inspectors is a liar, Obama is a liar.

The inspectors don't know what they're doing, Obama doesn't know what he's doing.

The inspectors are screw ups and still have their jobs, Obama is a screw up and was just elected POTUS.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #16
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Rewards Points: 5,444

Quote:
You can blame bush, hes still in office, everyone else blames him for everything.

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Old 11-14-2008, 12:30 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Founder of Contractor Talk

Quote:
this isn't the P&R section?
EXACTLY... so let's drop the politics please.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekw1 View Post
If only inspectors took liabilitiy for the shi*t they spew.

My son was failed on an insulation inspection on a custom home....the inspector "assumed" he didn't blow the area over a master bedroom since the access hole was "tight".....cost my son a few hours and he has my temper to boot.

If inspectors could be held liable for mistakes, it would stop 99% of the nonsense we all face.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC

Our inspectors do 1 or 1/2 hour call aheads on small jobs and also have a tracking system so they can be followed with a laptop and pinpoint the time of inspection. .. But the other chit is a daily occurance here too. ..We run into homeowners who have been through the wringer once or twice and don't want the building dept on their property at all.... I drove 80 miles to put little ground clips on plastic light boxes and the next inspector tells me we don't need them.... ohh jan 1= arc faults. that'l' keep us running in the circle j.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #20
Pro

Ah, it's snowing today, we awoke to a nice fresh layer of pretty white stuff on the ground...

Today is another day and another dollar. I'm confident today I get to keep the dollar! I'm on my way to pull 3 new permits for upcoming jobs in Denver, I'll try to find out today for sure the DensShield issue. I'm hoping in the end it really was a mistake cause I can't stand the thought of having to go back to using that crappy ass cement board again.

Advertisement