Getting My General Contractors License - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Getting My General Contractors License

Old 08-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 10

Getting My General Contractors License

Hi

I wanted to apply for my general Contractors license here in California but here is the problem. They say you must have pictures and all of these receipts
from all of your own personal houses and I have purchased and sold a few houses and remodeled all of them, but I dont have receipts anymore do to a break in. I have been working in the trade doing my own stuff and also opened my own Corporation but the Contractor who was on Bored with his License sold all of his property and split down to Mexico and never showed up for our monthly meeting.
So here is my problem my buddy got his and he had to have pictures and receipts and all of this stuff and I dont have that, and now I have no one to sign off and I am trying to figure out is their any solutions as I have herd that the board of contractors makes it impossible with out some of the things I mentioned.

Has anyone delt with this or know of a solution does the Board have a person to speak with when it comes to these types of circumstances?

Thanks, Noah

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 12,490

Re: Getting My General Contractors License

Where do you live?

First thing that comes to mind is to go to the main office in Sacramento and see what they tell you.

Next is that you must have been filing a schedule C on you tax returns if you have been on the up and up. That should show what your material activity has been. As well as all the other activity related directly to your business. They may take that as proof of experience.

Good luck

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: General Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layingnails View Post
Hi

I wanted to apply for my general Contractors license here in California but here is the problem. They say you must have pictures and all of these receipts
from all of your own personal houses and I have purchased and sold a few houses and remodeled all of them, but I dont have receipts anymore do to a break in. I have been working in the trade doing my own stuff and also opened my own Corporation but the Contractor who was on Bored with his License sold all of his property and split down to Mexico and never showed up for our monthly meeting.
So here is my problem my buddy got his and he had to have pictures and receipts and all of this stuff and I dont have that, and now I have no one to sign off and I am trying to figure out is their any solutions as I have herd that the board of contractors makes it impossible with out some of the things I mentioned.

Has anyone delt with this or know of a solution does the Board have a person to speak with when it comes to these types of circumstances?

Thanks, Noah

I think the best way to get the info you need is to re-post this in the Contractor Licensing forum, and while you're there send a message to License Guru. Phil is the best resource available to you as he is a former CSLB tech and now runs his own licensing service. He has helped dozens of guys on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layingnails View Post
Hi

Thanks, Noah
I don't think doing your own work flipping houses is going to be the proper experience, you need to have worked for a licensed contractor, there are also area's of experience other than remodeling you will need experience in.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #5

Trade: electrician

I believe you can count "owner-builder" for up to two years of the required four years experience. Not enough on its own.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Pompass Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe cool View Post
I believe you can count "owner-builder" for up to two years of the required four years experience. Not enough on its own.
Must be a California thing, in Florida your work needs to be done under the supervision of a licensed contractor.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Yard Boi

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 250

Does California offer reciprocity if you're a GC licensed in another state? For example in Idaho to be a GC you need $30 and insurance to get your license/registration. You don't even need to live here. If California offers reciprocity you could get an Idaho GC license and then trade it in for a California one. Like drivers licenses, if I moved to Washington I could get a drivers license without having to take the test.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Pompass Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Does California offer reciprocity if you're a GC licensed in another state? For example in Idaho to be a GC you need $30 and insurance to get your license/registration. You don't even need to live here. If California offers reciprocity you could get an Idaho GC license and then trade it in for a California one. Like drivers licenses, if I moved to Washington I could get a drivers license without having to take the test.
Most states that require testing for a contractors license will not honor another states contractor licenses, Florida is one of those states.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
Most states that require testing for a contractors license will not honor another states contractor licenses, Florida is one of those states.
I always wondered how that would fare in court.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Pompass Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
I always wondered how that would fare in court.
I guess someone could sue, but they would probably lose.

The state of florida will offer a reciprocal license from another state if they have the same requirements for testing and licensing as Florida does, but no ther state has the same requirements that Florida has, so they have never issued a reciprocal license.

It is hard the compare a state honoring a Drivers License from one state and honoring a contractors license, as all traffic laws are pretty much the same, yet building codes and licensing requirements vary state to state.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 12,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
They don't call this the litigation state for nothing.

No way will that fly here. Nice try though.

The testing process is not all bad. It is quite informative on the law side. And it seems to weed out some of the rif raf. Still plenty of unlicensed activity though.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #12
General Contractor

Trade: General Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
Must be a California thing, in Florida your work needs to be done under the supervision of a licensed contractor.
The owner-builder qualification isn't all that easy. Flipping houses doesn't cut it either. There are limits on the number of houses you can perform work on as an owner-builder:

For home improvements
The work site must be your principal place of
residence that you have occupied for 12 months
prior to completion of the work;
The work must be performed prior to the sale
of the home; and
You cannot take advantage of this exemption
on more than two structures during any threeyear
period.
For construction of new single family
residences
You are limited to selling four or fewer residential
structures in one calendar year; and
The work necessary to complete the project(s)
must be performed by licensed subcontractors.
Note:
The limitation on the number of structures that can
be sold is not applicable if the owner contracts with a
General Building (B) contractor for the performance of
the work.

Plus, all the work still has to be verified and you'll MAYBE get 2 years experience. And you still need to take the exams. I've never met a single owner-builder who became a licensed GC.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #13

Trade: General

I have owned my own construction company for 4 years but the rmo I had on staff got drugged out and I havnt herd from him
ontop of doing remodels on my own homes I have been in construction for a long time
the problem is the guy who was to sign off for me moved to Mexico and sold everything to split do to his drug issues here
I didn't even no he was gone untill he didn't show up for our meeting

thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #14

Trade: General Contractor, Electrician
Rewards Points: 25

I know when I applied I did owner/builder forms (my parents house), other work experience- (working for a contractor for a few years), and also having a BA in Business Administration helped too (they say it will count for 2 years of experience out of the 4 required) for my application. That was only about 3 years ago.

If you have that much "experience" it shouldn't be a problem.

Advertisement

Tags
license , rmo