To Get A Degree? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

To Get A Degree?

Old 08-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #1

Trade: residential
Rewards Points: 4

To Get A Degree?

Been reading this forum for months now, never posted.
I am 24, married with a child on the way and work as a superintendent for a small residential builder in East Tennessee. I would like to, for better finiancial means amd for more challenges, move in to a bigger company, preferably commercial. I dont have any formal education related to the construction industry ( I have an associates degree in applied science), and have noticed that most companies are preferring applicants with Bachelors in construction management, while others still seem to be more experience focused.

So my question is, would it be worth it to go to school online, and get a degree in construction management while i and younger, and take on the educational and timely challenge? For you all who have said degree, did it help you significantly attain a job that you were after? For any of you all who hire, do you pay more attention to education or experience? Or a bit of both i assume?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,026

Re: To Get A Degree?

most, if not all commercial outfits want/prefer guys with some sort of construction or engineering degree these days, unless you have a mountain of experience/track record.

however, most will hire an older experienced guy w/no education over a young whippersnapper fresh out of college.

also, no commercial outfit will give a dam about any residential experience.

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 1,846

In my opinion, I think the degree would be a good investment in your future. It certainly won't hurt. I say go for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 21,244

The last large construction company I worked for that did projects in the billions, have a recruiting program at many of the universities around the country.

They won't even consider you for some of the positions without a degree.

https://www.dpr.com/

Mike.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 6,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
The last large construction company I worked for that did projects in the billions, have a recruiting program at many of the universities around the country.

Mike.
Tap out at superintendent here if you don't have a degres here for DPR from my understanding There is a guy who lives around here who is a super for DPR. Commercial concrete/carpenter. Hes going to ITT Tech at night at 40+ to get a degree to move up

Apparently DPR still has in house hands, that's what he started

I dig the sig on his work truck - we exist to build great things

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

I worked as a Carpenter for DPR. They are an outstanding company.

Mike.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Tap out at superintendent here if you don't have a degres here for DPR from my understanding There is a guy who lives around here who is a super for DPR. Commercial concrete/carpenter. Hes going to ITT Tech at night at 40+ to get a degree to move up

Apparently DPR still has in house hands, that's what he started

I dig the sig on his work truck - we exist to build great things

I thought Obama shut down itt tech?
Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #8
Fire up the BBQ

Rewards Points: 3,026

Quote:

Mike.

as stated above they actively recruit from college campuses.

however, dpr, on their website has an asst super position open that does not require a degree.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
GC/carpenter

Quote:

Mike.

Keyword

Mike.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 4,816

Management or civil degree could give a PM career a boost. Or help keep stable. Obviously for a CM firm.

Some estimator positions require civil degrees, like for highway estimator that are among the highest paying.

When I was in school anyone I knew pursuing construction management seemed to be doing it as a career vehicle, to help them move forward (more so than other pursuits, that I can recall). If you are sure and can trace out your path ahead, get experience in what positions involve overlap and with what (construction scheduling, for example). But I'm not sure where you want to go with this or how senior/chief or more you intend to become. Looking further, choosing an area of specialty can definitely help (hospitals, airports, or other dedicated facilities, etc).

I don't see your location - by you might want to check out a school that does co-op arrangements with leaders in construction.

I used to run construction job board. And I will also say that I've had a few customers (contractors) who had management degrees and I could tell. They were more involved in the bigger picture, as an integrative dynamic. Evidently it was set in them earlier on whether it was by coincidence or not.

Do hope this helps,

Last edited by artinall; 08-19-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #11
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
I thought Obama shut down itt tech?
Still going here in austin

John
Old 08-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
The Sheriff

As a residential/light commercial custom builder I've never regretted not taking a degree. Once. I make a great living and through hard work, determination, innovation, and being born on second if not third base with my my father and grandfathers experience I dont find it hard to run a 5 mm construction company.

If I had a son who wanted to follow me, he'd be going to Texas A&M on my dime, and would start in a ditch and learn the construction business the way I did.

Still two brooms, a shovel and nail bags in my truck. Maybe I dont need them but I might. Either way I know how to use them to a high level. I wouldn't rob my son of that

John
Old 08-20-2019, 05:09 AM   #13
The Sheriff

Quote:
Still going here in austin

I guess it is shut down. Seems like just last year he was going there but seems it's been shut down 3... time flys. Hope he finished up somewhere, but hes still a super last time I saw him

How does a president shut down a college lol

FWIW I thought it was ridiculously expensive for that kind of school

John
Old 08-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
I guess it is shut down. Seems like just last year he was going there but seems it's been shut down 3... time flys. Hope he finished up somewhere, but hes still a super last time I saw him

How does a president shut down a college lol

FWIW I thought it was ridiculously expensive for that kind of school

I knew a lot of guys who went there, I never understood it either, you could get the same degree from a community college for waay less. When I went I was paying about $2K/yr., while the people I knew who attended itt were paying about $20K/yr. I remember them them pushing itt and Devry pretty hard in HS, I always rolled my eyes at it thinking it was a huge rip-off but nobody was forcing anyone to go.

I think the allure was you could do the whole degree in 2 years and all your classes would be in the evening. At a CC you need to take classes at all different times of the day and itís probably not going to happen in 2 years if you work full time while attending.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #15
Pro

“ITT Technical Institute charged among the highest tuition fees in the industry. It also had the industry's highest rate of loans that go into default within two years of attendance.[9] In 2014, the annual tuition for attending an ITT Tech campus ranged from $45,000 to $85,000.[10] Starting in about 2004, ITT Tech came under fire for questionable practices, including allegations of high-pressure recruiting tactics, falsified paperwork, high rates of default on student loans for ITT Tech students, and inadequate educational standards.

Following state and federal investigations, the US Department of Education prevented students from using federally guaranteed student loans at ITT Tech locations effective August 2016. All ITT Tech campuses were closed by September 6, 2016. On September 16, 2016, ITT Tech filed for bankruptcy.[11] In 2018, ITT Tech's court appointed bankruptcy trustee sued the US Department of Education and lenders to repay $1.5 billion in claims against ITT, alleging that regulators took advantage of low-income students and neglected their oversight duties.[12]”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITT_Technical_Institute
Old 08-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 942

The degree would be nice, but I wouldn't let it stop you from tying to make a move without it. The industry is currently starving for good help.

If I was an HR guy in a decent commercial firm and saw a good resume from a 24 year old superintendent with several years of experience, you can bet I'd call him in for an interview, and if the interview went well I'd try to find a place for him.

Most of the straight out of college guys aren't worth a hoot until you stick them in the field for at least a few years. Your field experience is a leg up on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 744

Go to school get a degree its real easy you are still young, you still have that learning gene.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #18
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
The degree would be nice, but I wouldn't let it stop you from tying to make a move without it. The industry is currently starving for good help.

If I was an HR guy in a decent commercial firm and saw a good resume from a 24 year old superintendent with several years of experience, you can bet I'd call him in for an interview, and if the interview went well I'd try to find a place for him.

Most of the straight out of college guys aren't worth a hoot until you stick them in the field for at least a few years. Your field experience is a leg up on them.

The problem is the industry is starving for the tradesmen. The industry is not starving for people with degrees.

Mike.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #19
The Sheriff

If you can actually build a house, not just know how it's built, and you can run a crew effeciently, and have any business skills at all it will be worth more then a college degree in many instances, if you work for yourself

John
Old 08-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #20
GC/carpenter

It's a tough hall to try and start at the top without sufficient trade experience without a degree.

Mike.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-20-2019)