Furring Out Wall On Top Of Drywall - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Furring Out Wall On Top Of Drywall

Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #1

Trade: contractor / supv maint oper
Rewards Points: 39

Furring Out Wall On Top Of Drywall

This is anew one for me personally.

Customer is requesting me to fur out there exterior 2x4 wall another 4" or so. They want it flush with the footing in the garage.

The existing wall is insulated with batts, kraft faced and drywalled. I would basically be putting another 2x4 wall in front. Customer wants me to insulate the new wall.

I know that the kraft face acts as a vapor barrier and you are not supposed to put more insulation on top of it but with the sheetrock there, does that rule still apply?

If I build the wall and insulate it, will I be creating an issue?
Condensation?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Do it right!

Trade: general construction
Rewards Points: 272

Re: Furring Out Wall On Top Of Drywall

why not take out the insulation and instal an R19 or R25?

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by vos View Post
why not take out the insulation and instal an R19 or R25?
He's trying to avoid removing the sheetrock, I would guess. Is the garage climate controlled? If it's not heated, what kind of condensation problems could there really be anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 1,120

I think the fact that there is sheetrock already there is going to be more of an issue than the fact that it has kraft faced insulation. It is my understanding that the "ideal" place for a moisture barrier is in the center of insulated wall. That being said, it's jut not practical in normal circumstances. Why do they feel they need to insulate the new wall? If thats not important I would think you should be ok to build ovder it.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #5

Spoke with the owner last night about my concerns,

He does not want to remove the insulation or sheetrock as he thinks it will help with insulating the garage.
He wants to insulate the new wall because in his mind he will be " doubling the r-value of the wall".

He did mention that in the future he wants to add radiant heat as this is where he will be keeping his baby.

I main concern is that the area between the new wall and the old sheetrock will become a moisture trap and there maybe condensation issues or worse mold in the future, especially when he adds the heat!

I told him, I'd probably just build the new wall but leave the insulation out but he really wants the added r-value
Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,236

Your concerns are correct about the current and new walls, drywall and paper vapor barrier.

Use Dow styrofoam 2" in the new frame wall cavity. No addl vapor barrier. Must have drywall.

Last edited by We Fix Houses; 10-27-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Fix Houses View Post
Your concerns are correct about the current and new walls, drywall and paper vapor barrier.

Use Dow styrofoam 2" in the new frame wall cavity. No addl vapor barrier. Must have drywall.
Thanks!

Advertisement