Funny Things Helpers Do! - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Funny Things Helpers Do!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Funny Things Helpers Do!

Whats some funny things you've had a helper do to you?
I had a guy do this,
Hot as blazes and rebuilding a soffit and fascia for a restoration, were about 24' up on scaffolding and the piece of fascia I measured and cut is too long, I'm tired so I tell the kid "take the board, cut a 1/4" off and bring it back, and hustle!
Much later after hearing the saw go off a few times, the kid, now all redfaced and sweaty, scoots up the scaffold and hands me the 1/4" piece.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Funny Things Helpers Do!

I worked with a superintendent one time and we had a guy that was kinda of on the strange side. One day we were leaving the job and the supt asked him if he had bled out the power on the skil saw. He asked him what do you mean. He said did you squeeze the trigger to bleed out any remaining power. He said no and promptly reached up and squeezed the trigger. Understand that the saw was already placed on the shelve in the back of the work van.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #3

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 10

That is one of the funniest ones I have ever heard!!!!! Thanks for making me Laugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Had an 18 year old kid working for me on a job. We started framing the 2nd floor. I told the kid to go down to the first floor and take off the spring braces. Near the top plate, he's swinging the hammer towards himself and misses the board and bonks himself right in the forehead and knocks himself out cold.

Another kid, first day on the job. Told him to go get the 14' FJ's out front and hand them up to me. he comes back inside and tells me there's only 15's He measured 14' and 1" and added them and came up with 15'. he lasted to about 10 AM

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 06-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre

had a guy that worked for me, he was a surfer weed smokin DUDE. we where doing alot of work around 2 towns that where close to each other, we would bounce back and forth between 3 jobs. every morning we would talk at 630 am , the guys would be dispatched to there locations. 3 out of 5 days of the week, CHRIS, would pass us on the road, with a bewildered look, heading for the wrong job, he usually showed up at the correct location after driving to one or more of the other jobs, we kind of got used to watching him passbye, and began to take bets on what time he would finally arrive at the correct job
Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Silvertree, I think I saw in another post about you going to Mall of America. We are thinking about making a trip to Chicago with a side to Mall of America. It has been about 13 years since I have been there and it was only about two hours. I had a real good lunch at HOOTERS. I will be taking my wife and two daughters. (20 and 16). Is is still worth it?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: drywall
Rewards Points: 150

Had a friends nephew work with me one summer.One morning,he was coating the drywall near the open window and accidently got some mud on the roof. Not wanting to mess up the roof, he climbs out the window to get the mud off the dew covered roof! Walks in through the garage door and I'm like you were just upstairs working, what the hell? He replies I slipped off the roof.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC

We'd been drilling 40 ft.x 18 in. caissons for a few days and had it going pretty good for this job. 3rd morning we pulled all the tools out and had the sub pumps, rolled up hoses, and rolled up extension cords laying on the bank. I look down a couple of holes and holler to Lester to "throw a pump down this hole". Lester goes over to the bank, grabs a pump and throws it down the hole, no hose, no extension cord, just down the 40 ft hole..... I was just happy when no bodies ended up down the hole.

The crews across the street were drilling 90ft x 3ft. I went over to take a peek and was happy to be drilling my 40x 18".. Lester was a good man and stayed with the company for a long time.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
home-work

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Years ago, worked with a young kid who was not very bright.Some of the guys sent him to the supply store to get two buckets of steam for the steam cleaner. They did stop him, but only after he started to pull away with the truck to go get it.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
listen twice talk once!

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 500

Working in Pulte neighborhoods they make you really clean up good, and we had a guy sweep up two of the wrong lots while other trades were working. Apparently I pointed to the wrong houses when I said lot 54 and 55.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #11
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch M View Post
Silvertree, I think I saw in another post about you going to Mall of America. We are thinking about making a trip to Chicago with a side to Mall of America. It has been about 13 years since I have been there and it was only about two hours. I had a real good lunch at HOOTERS. I will be taking my wife and two daughters. (20 and 16). Is is still worth it?
The girls will probably love it. Try to take the light rail transit from downtown Mpls. As far as Hooters goes, good burgers right?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #12

Trade: Plumbing Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Had a guy cut the extention cord with a skill saw once, he had it going right under the piece of wood he was cutting. Couldn't figure out why the thing died all of a sudden.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
Plumber / Carpenter

Trade: Virginia Building and plumbing contractor
Rewards Points: 1,014

my nephew was removing braces from truss one day, swung the hammer upwars and missed, but hit himself square center of his forhead. Left a hellashiouse red dot on his forhead!

Another day I was on a ladder getting ready to shoot in some metal tracks. Asked my nephew to go to the other end of the building and get me my electric drill. He came back and handed it to me. I started to drill and it did not work. Looked down and realized there was no cord! I asked him where it was and he said back there pointing to where the drill was. I asked him why did you not bring it, his response was you did not ask for it!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Nothing is better than sending a new guy out to the truck to get the pipe stretcher. Most of the time they figure it out after a while when its not in the tool bin.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

This isn't funny as much as amazing.

Had a helper pull a ac compressor up a 30 ft house to the roof with some rope by himself.

I was new and forgot to add for the lift to get it up on the roof.

He impressed the hell out of me

Old 06-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 154

I had a new guy make a batch of mud and he pushed the wheelbarrow all the way to the other side of the house. When he got there I asked him why he didn't bring the shovel with him? He said it would have been too heavy to push with the shovel in the wheelbarrow along with the mud.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 542

i had a helper tearing down scaffold.he was standing on a block and pulling the plank off the far side jack.when the plank cleared the jack of course it dropped,bringing his end up fast.it caught him under the chin and im sure he thought it was a blow from rocky balboa.

i had another guy mix a batch of red, red mud.the wheel barrow was a little fuller than normal and he was a smaller guy anyway.well after he dumps it,he starts pushing it to where i needed it.he hadnt taken three or four steps hen his feet came out from under him and he went face first into the red mud.i was laughing so hard i forgot to see if he was hurt.his face and neck was totally covered in this red cement.after he washed himself down,the coloring in the cement stayed on his skin,he looked like an ompa lompa!!but of course i didnt say anything about that
Old 06-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

A buddy of mine (Les) was up in the framing of the roof rafters with his sidewinder cutting some final blocking, - - and we could hear the echo of his measuring tape as it fell down and bounced around onto the sub-floors. So he yells down the new helper to "mark fourteen-and-a-half inches on any small scrap of 2 X 4 for me and toss it up". The kid tosses it up, - - and next thing I know, - - Les starts laughin' his a$$ off. I ask him what the hell's so funny, - - he tosses me down the board, - - the kid wrote 14 1/2" on it . . .

Last edited by Tom R; 06-22-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #19
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 81

I was carrying some 2x4's up through the house we were doing a raised ridge. as i walk by the downstairs bathroom the homeowners wife comes out in a bath robe. and says Bob i would like to ask you a question, i say sure and leaned the 2x4"s up against the stairwell wall , as i start to stand up and look at her I here this noise, I raise my hand to protect my head and grabed her, thinking the 2x's are going to fall. When I realize the wood was fine and let go of her, she pulls back and says I'm so imbarresed, not knowing what she was talking about until I got a whiff of the air. (She passed gas).she wasn't the only one embarrassed.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #20
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 81

One more. back in the forties there was a shortage of nails, because of the war. so things were rationed out nails then came in 100lb wooden kegs. my father and his cousins were subbing from levitt a big time builder back in the day. there was two crews my old mans and some Canadians working on the house next door, my father's cousin See's that the Canadians are trying to finish before them. and realizes that there going to run out of nails shortly. so he goes to the shanty and grabs a few hand full of nails from the only keg left, and takes a dump in the keg. then sprinkles a thin layer of nails on top. then leaves and goes back to the site. twenty minutes later one of the Canadians yells over to my dads crew and asks if they have any nails, jack my dad's cousin yells over to them and says yes whats left is in the shanty. well let me say dad states there was a lot of cursing going on when he walk out of the shanty. dad said he had it all inside his cloth nail apron, he must of dipped in there twice before he knew what he was in for. the old man still to this day laughs till he cries when he talks about it. he's 82 yrs old. them were the days.

Advertisement