Force Account Equipment Charges - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Force Account Equipment Charges

Old 04-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #1

Trade: Construction Manager
Rewards Points: 6

Force Account Equipment Charges

For Force Account Work, if a Contractor uses his own equipment for the job and only uses the equipment for say 1 hour of the day and does not intend to use it for the rest of the day, would the rest of the day (7 hours) be considered as idle time or standby time? Typically idle time is paid 50% of the operating cost. Standby time is typically the same as Operating cost. My thought is standby is considered equipment that is still intended to be used throughout the day. Your thoughts on this?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 928

Re: Force Account Equipment Charges

If I provide a machine and operator on a project and the machine is only needed for an hour or so I charge for the machine for the entire day. I figure operator separate from the machinery, so if the operator is there for the day, you will get charged for the operator.

Depending on the circumstances, I might charge only a part day for either or both, but the true end result is that the men and equipment need to be paid, typically on a daily rate basis.

I don't know what a "Force Account" is so I don't know if I answered the question or not.

Welcome to the site.

Advertisement

www.gebcon.com
Old 04-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

Trade: Construction Manager
Rewards Points: 6

Force Account Work is payment agreed method to pay the Contractor for work that is not originally in the contract. This is not the same as an allowance where the scope of work was defined in the project scope. But thank you for your insight as I agree. If the equipment is required for a portion of the day, the Contractor shall be eligible for payment of the full operational hours of their equipment for maintenance, rental, and depreciation purposes (operator owned vehicle).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 530

so the force account is an open ended change work order?